Bold Prediction: This Australian Team is going to become an ATG team

Gollum

Congrats to Aussie fans for their team's excellent show this series. :clap2:

I believe we are witnessing the rise of the next dynasty of Aussie greats here much like how Australia rose against West Indies in 1995. They may win/draw/lose in the 4th test, doesn't matter. I think this team is destined for greatness. I have high hopes for this Indian team under Kohli also, so potentially this is going to be a rollicking rivalry the next 5-10 years or so. But I believe Aussies have an even higher ceiling than this Indian team. After the RSA debacle last year they have got their heads together and a mass culling of their weak players has transformed their team (Indian selectors take note).

Take a look at some of their strengths:

Renshaw, can't believe this is a 20 year old kid we are talking about. Future Cook, he will make it big.

Warner, a bit like Sehwag but he is worth his value in gold in Australia and RSA. He may only have 2-3 innings of note outside these 2 countries in his whole career but the way he sets up matches for them at home...as I said modern day Viru.

Smith, no 1 batsman today and may possibly end up as the greatest batsman post Sachin Tendulkar. He is flawless, looks invincible. Hate him and his style but boy wouldn't we die to have someone like him in our side. Averages 62 in tests, highest scores in QF/SF/F in a World Cup. :adore: Mentally tough, ruthless and someone who will go to any extent to win, even breaking DRS rules whilst consulting with the dressing room before a review :phehe:

Handscomb is another one to look out for the future.

Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson, Bird......... :adore::adore::adore::adore::adore: What a line up !!! Breathtaking. Never since Lloyd's West Indies has any country had the luxury of such a battery of quicks. This is what makes me believe that we are watching something special. A 3 or 4 pronged attack that can take 20 wickets on any deck across the globe. Lyon is a decent backup and with their ninja fielding the bowling will be even more effective. 

The biggest clincher for me is their general nastiness, willingness to break rules, sledge, appeal for anything and everything to distract batsmen and put pressure.... This was a feature of the ATG Aussie unit and it seems they have regained that mongrel now. Don't forget the grit, hardly ever seen an Aussie team willing to curb their natural instincts to secure a draw like they did today. Of course India is not at 100% because of Kohli and Ash's form but take nothing away from the convicts. They have prepared well, fought their guts out and pushed us all the way which has happened 3-4 times in the last 15 years at home. 

I believe their batting has to further improve and need a better back up spinner but that pace battery OMFG. :fear1:

Even their A team has thrown up lots of promising players, so there will be a lot of competition, especially for their batsmen which is always good. Aussie posters can help me out w.r.t their potential prospects.

Mark my words, Australia will win in UAE, England and Lanka next time to complement their dominance in WI, NZ and RSA. And they might even win next test. :fear1: In Australia they will be unstoppable once again. I don't see us winning there anytime soon unlike in say quota wallah RSA, where we will most probably break the jinx this year. 

Add to that their ODI WC winning team, again number 1 when it matters(RSA :hysterical:) and in modern day pattas fearsome. 

I believe India vs Australia the next 5-10 years will be fun across all 3 formats. Both will interchange the top 2 spots with us lagging behind them on most occasions. 

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Jeez the hype on smith is ridiculous 

he is good . But not that good 

KT, i was just like you till about a couple of years back. But now I have seen the light. Smith is a combination of Chanders and Sehwag, the most advanced mutant batsman ever. No wonder he drives bowlers crazy. His weird technique, constant shuffling plus heightened reflexes is the complete package. This is the final step of evolution of batting. He averages over 40 in every country, so no chinks there. Plus he is clutch, as was exhibited in the 2015 CWC knockouts. Yup, he is that good. 

Nah... too soon to tell.

Currently, we have lot many strong teams. India, SA, NZ, Eng, Aus all are almost on the same level.. I would say SA is emerging as strongest of all.. so winning ratio of this Aus team wouldnt be same when compared to during McGrath, Hayden, Gilli playing time..

8 minutes ago, veer said:

Nah... too soon to tell.

Currently, we have lot many strong teams. India, SA, NZ, Eng, Aus all are almost on the same level.. I would say SA is emerging as strongest of all.. so winning ratio of this Aus team wouldnt be same when compared to during McGrath, Hayden, Gilli playing time..

NZ and Eng aren't that good, they can't even dominate at home. RSA.... well wait for quota effect to take over in the coming years. 

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

NZ and Eng aren't that good, they can't even dominate at home. RSA.... well wait for quota effect to take over in the coming years. 

You are under estimating England.. they are very good at home. Their Ashes series will be very competitive. Ozzie pacers are injuy prone and heavily dependent on Smith.

52 minutes ago, veer said:

You are under estimating England.. they are very good at home. Their Ashes series will be very competitive. Ozzie pacers are injuy prone and heavily dependent on Smith.

English batting has a lot of potential but their bowling unit is utterly mediocre. After Anderson and Barbie, who will carry them. And the less we talk about their spinners the better. 

40 minutes ago, speedheat said:

An attack of starc, pattinson , Cummins and hazlee will be nightmare!!!

Next time when we tour Australia if they field even 3 out of 4 of them (maybe 4 in Brisbane/Perth :fear1:) + Lyon we are losing 4-0.  But the real challenge for Australia is to ensure they are match fit, they seem to be having too many injury problems. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, King Tendulkar said:

So losing the toss and forcing this Aussie team to cling on for draw seems like kohli deserves a big pat on the back :phew:

Both of the teams that played today are destined for greatness. They will be fighting for the top 2 spots in the coming years as I said in the OP. Just feel the Aussies have more potential, especially because of their quicks. 

3 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Jeez the hype on smith is ridiculous 

he is good . But not that good 

I mean he is head and shoulders the best test batsman in the world. just about 61 career average starting as a leg spinner and 75 since 2014. 

I can see this team going a lot more places than the Sri Lanka or South Africa tour ones but way to early to call atg  status yet after 1 and a bit series, one against Pakistan in Australia.

Except for Smith and to some extent Renshaw who will make it big...none of the Aussie bats can play swing or spin if their life depended on it.

Renshaw too is susceptible against genuine pace from what I have seen but has time on his side.

Wade is probably the worst keeper bat among top playing nations....he is below Saha,Chandimal,Sarfaraz,Mushfiqur,De Kock,Walting,Butler/Baristow etc.

Spinners are just your run of the mill bowlers-Lyon is Ok but nothing world beating about him-Sure bring out the first test debacle...but it is what it is.

Fast bowling have to agree-they are the best right now in terms of talent pool.