ICC president Shashank Manohar to remain in post following Board resolution

ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar has today agreed to defer his recent resignation following an ICC Board resolution to request him to remain in post was passed with overwhelming support earlier this week. In a significant show of support for Mr Manohar the Board asked him to withdraw his resignation or at the very least defer it until the ongoing process relating to governance and financial restructuring are completed.

Commenting on the decision Mr Manohar said: “I respect the sentiments expressed by the Directors and the confidence they have reposed in me. In the light of this, and although my decision to depart due to personal reasons has not changed, I am willing to continue as Chairman till the responsibility as per the resolution is complete.

“I have duty to work with my colleagues to enable a smooth transition and continue our work on the governance of the ICC.”

Cricket Australia Chairman David Peever said: “This resolution is a clear indication that whilst the Board may not yet agree on the detail of our reform process, we are committed to the overarching philosophies of it. We all believe that Shashank should be the man to see it through and whilst respectful of a decision made for personal reasons, we are delighted that he has agreed to remain in post until the completion of the 2017 Annual Conference where we can elect a successor.”

BCCI’s Vikram Limaye added: “It is important that the current issues are resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. We had a productive meeting with Mr Manohar recently (prior to his resignation) wherein we outlined the concerns of BCCI on the financial model and governance issues and our suggestions for resolution. We are committed to working with ICC for a satisfactory resolution of these issues.”

Nazmul Hassan, President of BCB said: “For the greater interest of cricket, we need Shashank as the Chairman of ICC especially at this critical juncture. He can be assured of our full support.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/354829

12 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

He will remain till June only.

But that is the point, Both ECB and ACB want Manohar's help in ramming through the new ICC constitution. Who cares about the new ICC chairman after June if the new constitution is passed and enacted.

1 hour ago, Ironhide said:

But that is the point, Both ECB and ACB want Manohar's help in ramming through the new ICC constitution. Who cares about the new ICC chairman after June if the new constitution is passed and enacted.

They cant do that.BCCI has the votes to block it.Else they will withdraw from CT.

12 minutes ago, Stumped said:

A literal threat to throw the toys out the pram if a democratic style voting system doesn't go their way/they can't buy enough votes.

No a democratic way to get out of a system they don't agree with to ensure their welfare.Its like a tenant moving out of a house owner if he doesn't agree with an increase in fare.

It has manifest into a threat because of how important BCCI is to ICC .And that is not BCCI fault.

21 minutes ago, Stumped said:

A literal threat to throw the toys out the pram if a democratic style voting system doesn't go their way/they can't buy enough votes.

No, It is about following the legal MPA signed between BCCI and ICC which cannot be changed until 2023. The ICC can have another vote in 2023 to change it if members agree at that time anything else will be a breach of Legally binding Members Participation Agreement signed between BCCI and ICC Business Co.

To quite the man who manohar sold himself to and the main man behind this whole bcci sobatage "I have got full rights to think for the good future of my board". That's what BCCI is doing. They don't agree with icc so they are looking for options to keep thier position strong ot else they will move out.

Sent from my SM-G550FY using Tapatalk