CNN's Believer - a documentary on Hinduism

coffee_rules

The documentary from a Reza Aslan is so regressive, bigoted I wonder if CNN can do a similar documentary on Islam that is so misleading. They will be lynched. They are showing Aghoris as mainstream Hinduism and this dude is shown sprinkling urine on all. Ganga as a giant toilet. *ing leftist anti hindu propaganda. and a muslim showing what Hinduism is about.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.scroll.in/article/831510/cnns-believer-reza-aslans-show-on-hindu-mendicants-is-bigoted-no-matter-how-you-look-at-it

If we look at the widely followed religions today, the birth place are as following:

• Middle East - Judaism, Christianity and Islam
  • India - Hinduism and its various forms -> Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, etc. 

As Indians, irrespective of our religious affiliations, and as those whose origins can be traced back to Ind subcon, we have to be proud of our religion, which is tied up with our culture, and stand up for it

If we are not proud of our own culture and heritage, no one else will be 

Edited by zen

Its one thing for Hollywood to show it in movies like temple of doom, but to show something equivalent as in mainstream Hinduism, this is a dangerous thing to show young kids who are impressionable. I wonder why there is no widespread outrage over this. As @Gollum said, even Scroll.in, the liberal raddi, thinks this show is bigoted.

2 hours ago, zen said:

If we look at the widely followed religions today, the birth place are as following:

• Middle East - Judaism, Christianity and Islam
  • India - Hinduism and its various forms -> Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, etc. 

As Indians, irrespective of our religious affiliations, and as those whose origins can be traced back to Ind subcon, we have to be proud of our religion, which is tied up with our culture, and stand up for it

If we are not proud of our own culture and heritage, no one else will be 

Hinduism is not a religion. Thats what makes it special.

Can't just blame the foreigners. Our own people are also at faults. Our leftists have made so much fun of our traditions, religions. When we have forgotten the horrible Muslim invasion, so own glorious history will be questioned.

It's embarrassing that today, if we want to study Hinduism, we need to go abroad to be seen well-qualified. We, our own people don't really study nor represent our culture on world stage.

Edited by someone

4 hours ago, someone said:

Can't just blame the foreigners. Our own people are also at faults. Our leftists have made so much fun of our traditions, religions. When we have forgotten the horrible Muslim invasion, so own glorious history will be questioned.

It's embarrassing that today, if we want to study Hinduism, we need to go abroad to be seen well-qualified. We, our own people don't really study nor represent our culture on world stage.

Yea. India really needs to open its eyes about its history of the last 2500 years. 
We need to learn a few lessons from history:

1. The glorious period of the Magadha empire (NOT Mauryan Empire or Nanda Empire or Shunga Empire and such). I mean WTF. Every single Indian text we have from 2000+ years ago or so, they all 'tremble' at the sight of glorious Magadh. When ancient Oryas (Kalingans) wrote about their wars, they wrote about XYZ king of...MAGADHA!

I mean seriously, this hypocrisy in Indian history needs to be called out. Who the heck calls it as Julio-Claudian Empire or the Antonine Empire ? its the Roman Empire. Coz its made up of Roman government & ruling class, ruling the bloody empire. 

Similarly, it is not the Yorkie kingdom or Hanover empire..its the bloody kingdom of England/British Empire for the same reason.

So why do we insist on ignoring perhaps *the* main contributor to ethos & governance of ancient India, aka Magadh ? 

2. Causes for the fall of the Magadh & Gupta Emipre

3. The Kanauj triangle history and the key role it plays in fostering slowdown of economic growth, material culture and political fracturing of India to lots of tiny kingdoms. 

4. Effect of Ghaznavi & Ghurid invasions to India from a demographic, political and social scale. 

But these things, are for some reason, only people who do PhDs get to learn in India, apparently.

5 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Yea. India really needs to open its eyes about its history of the last 2500 years. 
We need to learn a few lessons from history:

1. The glorious period of the Magadha empire (NOT Mauryan Empire or Nanda Empire or Shunga Empire and such). I mean WTF. Every single Indian text we have from 2000+ years ago or so, they all 'tremble' at the sight of glorious Magadh. When ancient Oryas (Kalingans) wrote about their wars, they wrote about XYZ king of...MAGADHA!

I mean seriously, this hypocrisy in Indian history needs to be called out. Who the heck calls it as Julio-Claudian Empire or the Antonine Empire ? its the Roman Empire. Coz its made up of Roman government & ruling class, ruling the bloody empire. 

Similarly, it is not the Yorkie kingdom or Hanover empire..its the bloody kingdom of England/British Empire for the same reason.

So why do we insist on ignoring perhaps *the* main contributor to ethos & governance of ancient India, aka Magadh ? 

2. Causes for the fall of the Magadh & Gupta Emipre

3. The Kanauj triangle history and the key role it plays in fostering slowdown of economic growth, material culture and political fracturing of India to lots of tiny kingdoms. 

4. Effect of Ghaznavi & Ghurid invasions to India from a demographic, political and social scale. 

But these things, are for some reason, only people who do PhDs get to learn in India, apparently.

Great to see like minded people who show interest in our Indian history. Every time I go to india, I make a point to see our historical sites and learn from it.

I am one of those weirdos who has more selfies at the sites of battles of panipat, or ancient sites of purani Delhi than pictures with my friends or from five star resorts of Europe or Bahamas 

Edited by rahulrulezz

14 hours ago, someone said:

Much of the Hindu culture and traditions are **** though. Not as shitty, disgusting and retarded as Islamic culture but still crap.

Every religion is a bunch of superstitions threaded together to give false hope that someone is out there protecting you and your family, and by giving enough time and money, you can please that entity.  And if you "break these rules" you will displease that entity.  

In some ways, it works well by giving people some humility, reason to serve others etc., but for the most part, it divides people.  

Edited by Brainfade

49 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

These terms God, religion, heaven, hell were s coined to create fear in people's mind. To stop people from indulging in corrupt and criminal activities. But this fear does not exist anymore.

And ironically, the religious leaders have picked up the corrupt and criminal mantle.  

22 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

The thread is not about religion, but to blantantly spread falsehood about one religion, as there are no violent custodians. The hypocrisy of CNN showing their anti-hindu bigotry and hinduphobia, while preaching to everybody about pitfalls of Islamophobia.

Lol even congress does that.

10 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Much of the Hindu culture and traditions are **** though. Not as shitty, disgusting and retarded as Islamic culture but still crap.

Wrong implication. You have to understand our culture is open-architecture.  That's the single biggest reason why it has survived for thousands of years and will do so. That's our USP but unfortunately, that has meant there is no true leadership representing us. Many of what we learn about Hindus is from the west, and that's the big danger.

2 minutes ago, someone said:

Wrong implication. You have to understand our culture is open-architecture.  That's the single biggest reason why it has survived for thousands of years and will do so. That's our USP but unfortunately, that has meant there is no true leadership representing us. Many of what we learn about Hindus is from the west, and that's the big danger.

Abe west ko goli maar. I haven't even opened the link or video in the OP. Gender inequality, Superstition, astrology, caste etc are negative points of Hinduism. you don't need any angrez to tell this. Similarly yoga, spirituality, vegetarianism, tolerance, depth of culture, food, festivals etc. are great things abt India. You don't need any angrej. And for me, Hinduism = India = Hindutva = Jainism = Buddhism = Sikhism.

And ofcourse Islam is a 1000 times worse. You can't compare Islam with any other religion. all other religions co-exist peacefully today.

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

Abe west ko goli maar. I haven't even opened the link or video in the OP. Gender inequality, Superstition, astrology, caste etc are negative points of Hinduism. you don't need any angrez to tell this. Similarly yoga, spirituality, vegetarianism, tolerance, depth of culture, food, festivals etc. are great things abt India. You don't need any angrej. And for me, Hinduism = India = Hindutva = Jainism = Buddhism = Sikhism.

And ofcourse Islam is a 1000 times worse. You can't compare Islam with any other religion. all other religions co-exist peacefully today.

Again wrong implications. Firstly, understand what is sruti and smriti. The main problem we have had is wrong practices but that's open architecture there. We don't have one single book which is locked forever and thus cannot be changed. We are adaptable and people can make their own paths in our culture. And actually, we have jatis which is different from caste, we have godness devi , and basically there is a narrative battle. This topic is exactly about this interpretation and presentation of Hindus by west which has bias and big inaccuracies.

Many such examples like we still learn about the Aryan invasion theory as fact when there are plenty of evidence otherwise. There has been a systematic demoralization of our culture.