The Umesh Yadav Metamorphosis

sandeep

How good has Umesh Yadav got?

When Umesh first arrived in international cricket, his easy action and the pace he generated with it were impressive, but he was a scattergun, liberally spraying the ball all over the place and giving away easy runs.

Over the last 15 months, though, Umesh has got his act together. The accuracy has improved tremendously, and he has achieved it without sacrificing speed. 

Author gets it slightly wrong - that should say spraygun, not scattergun:p:.  But numbers bear out what we have seen this season - the big strides that Yadav has taken as a test match pace bowler.  2 years ago, I would have posted harsh diatribes for the times when he was picked over a fit and available Bhuvi (I'm a massive believer in Bhuvi).  But for the last 6 months or so, I have grudgingly accepted the merit of playing Yadav ahead of Bhuvi on tracks that don't offer much movement.    

Umesh has bowled a fudgeton of overs for Team India this season, and done it well.  Let's hope he gets a good number of wickets in Dharamsala as just reward for his hard work this season, and contributes to a famous India Victory.  

6 minutes ago, tweaker said:

He has shown a lot of improvement,but I think there is long way to go for him.

He has played almost all the matches from the WI series,but he has not picked enough wickets.

Wickets don't always tell the whole story about bowlers - Yadav's improvement is a big deal.  Especially given our pace bowling stocks.  And on the injury prone spectrum - from Ashish Nehra to Kapil Dev - he's closer to Kapil than any of our pace bowlers probably ever.  

Its really unfortunate that this team will not be playing test cricket in Aus/Eng/SA in 2017.   They are ready.  

Wanted to write a post on How Umesh yadav has been a the unsung hero of this season for many reasons.

1. 1st n foremost lasting whole season as a fit player is commendable. Bhuvi with lesser pace has gotten injured. Our batsman like rahane, rohit, dhawan, vijay , rahul all have been injured. But here is a guy bowling around 145k Fit throughout season so for this only he deserves credit. :cheer:

2. The disease of our pacers loosing pace over the years looks to have ended. This guy not only has maintained his pace but his fitness as well. 

3. Very brilliantly has played the role of support and aggressor with and without shami 

4. We often criticise  our bowlers when they go overseas comparing their stats to opp bowlers in their own condition. Well this time lets give umesh credit for better perfomance then starc n anderson. 

5. Did well in Odi series as well against NZ. Bhuvi has been creating a myth for few years that he guarantees a wkt with new ball well in past few years umesh has done that better.

6. He has produced many wkt taking deliveries but fielder has let him down many times but he didnt loose the plot. 

7. India conditions have never been helpful for fast bowler so his perfomance deserves more :cheer::cheer:

8. Umesh spell is best I have faced in my Test career: Shakib

Yea this guy who cam after facing Nz bowlers in Nz says this is a huge reason. 

9. He is a good fielder as well. 

10. 260583.jpg

:bow:

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
Umesh would have picked a lot more wickets if he had used the surprise bouncer with regularity.

He has been doing most other things correctly  this season.

But needs to improve this aspect.

Some times bowling bouncers takes lot out of the bowler in this heat and on dying pitch may be that's why he is reluctant to use bouncers

Umesh has made an impact, whenever he was brought in to bowl, also atleast 15 or so dropped catches make a huge diff to his stats, his plans should include pushing the BATSMEN back with a bouncer n then using swing or reverse to further improve his stats, also he could use cutters a bit, overall this season has given him a confidence n method also he has figured out his plusses n minuses n how to bowl spells at different times in the game n not loosing control, very positive signs.

14 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Umesh has made an impact, whenever he was brought in to bowl, also atleast 15 or so dropped catches make a huge diff to his stats, his plans should include pushing the BATSMEN back with a bouncer n then using swing or reverse to further improve his stats, also he could use cutters a bit, overall this season has given him a confidence n method also he has figured out his plusses n minuses n how to bowl spells at different times in the game n not loosing control, very positive signs.

Only 15.  How about 50.  Or maybe 100.   Very green-broesque in your exaggeration.    

Before you lose your $ht, I'm not calling you a greenbro.