Steven Smith is officially the BEST BATSMAN in the World!

Texan

Virat Kohli also lacks charisma... Ganguly was less successful as a batsman and a captain to Kohli, but somehow had a fan following to rival Sachin. Virat Kohli no matter how much he scores or wins is never the reassuring alpha of the dressing room like Dhoni or ganguly. He always seems hateful and bitter like Gambhir. He is a genius level LoI player and a much better all-round batsman than smith but that's a different matter.

6 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Virat Kohli also lacks charisma... Ganguly was less successful as a batsman and a captain to Kohli, but somehow had a fan following to rival Sachin. Virat Kohli no matter how much he scores or wins is never the reassuring alpha of the dressing room like Dhoni or ganguly. He always seems hateful and bitter like Gambhir. He is a genius level LoI player and a much better all-round batsman than smith but that's a different matter.

Disagree on 3 counts :

• Virat has insane fan following
  • He is the definition of alpha 
  • No Kohli is not a better all round batsman than Smith.
5 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

only in tests though. In odis and t20's there are better bats than him.

ODIS....check scorecard of Aussie matches in QF, SF and F of CWC 2015 and compare it to the past greats. 

T20s I agree he is average but that is of very little importance. 

4 minutes ago, gattaca said:

What a ugly batsman to watch ? Dhoni probably looked better while batting. But he is very effective. But would like to see how he performs on pitches with swing he was troubled by bhuvi.

He was god like in the ashes in England. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

ODIS....check scorecard of Aussie matches in QF, SF and F of CWC 2015 and compare it to the past greats. 

T20s I agree he is average but that is of very little importance. 

No I agree he is good odi bat and did perform well in knockouts. What I mean is overall likes of Kohli, abdv, amla, Williamson, root are better than him.

2 minutes ago, gattaca said:

How were the pitches like ? Don't remember them being green at all in ashes.

Swing depends on overhead conditions, not the pitch. You said 'swing', that's why I replied. In England ball swings almost all the time. Greenness of the pitch will make it seam around. In 2015 Ashes he scored some 500+ runs(2 100s) with a double hundred in Lord's. Even in 2013 when he was a novice he scored a ton in one of the matches. Even on relatively green decks in RSA in 2014 he had a big role in the series victory for Australia. Guy is a freaking legend already.

9 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

No I agree he is good odi bat and did perform well in knockouts. What I mean is overall likes of Kohli, abdv, amla, Williamson, root are better than him.

I don't think so because weightage of tests>= World Cup>>>>>>bilateral ODIs>>>T20s

Smith is so much ahead of the others in the former 2 that they can never even dream of catching him. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

I don't think so because weightage of tests>= World Cup>>>>>>bilateral ODIs>>>T20s

Smith is so much ahead of the others in the former 2 that they can never even dream of catching him. 

in that case amla and abdv have performed well in tests as well as world cups(excluding knockouts obviously) while Kohli has performed in Odis and tests overall(a level below smith in tests). Williamson and root might be below Smith in Odis and def below in tests.

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Swing depends on overhead conditions, not the pitch. You said 'swing', that's why I replied. In England ball swings almost all the time. Greenness of the pitch will make it seam around. In 2015 Ashes he scored some 500+ runs(2 100s) with a double hundred in Lord's. Even in 2013 when he was a novice he scored a ton in one of the matches. Even on relatively green decks in RSA in 2014 he had a big role in the series victory for Australia. Guy is a freaking legend already.

I don't agree with that. Australia got shot out for 50 on a green pitch same happened for other teams too  but it is combination of both.

4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

in that case amla and abdv have performed well in tests as well as world cups(excluding knockouts obviously) while Kohli has performed in Odis and tests overall(a level below smith in tests). Williamson and root might be below Smith in Odis and def below in tests.

Amla has not performed in World Cups but has been great in tests while ABDV is ulta, great WC performer but underachiever in tests. Kohli has done nothing of note in WCs and is a level below Smith in tests. KW is inferior to Kohli and Root is roughly the same level as Kohli, though he has a higher ceiling than Kohli considering his test record+age. 

But Amla and ABDV belong to the Sanga-KP-Younis-Clarkke generation. Smith, Kohli, Kane and Root are the fab 4 and hence comparison is valid between them.

8 minutes ago, gattaca said:

I don't agree with that. Australia got shot out for 50 on a green pitch same happened for other teams too  but it is combination of both.

That was a failure I agree, but green pitch=seam(and not swing) . But you can't make so many filters to judge a batsman, else even Sachin/Lara will come out as failures. Fact is he conquered England unlike Kohli who gave the worst performance by a number 4 batsman in England in the entire history of the game.