The Kuldeep Yadav Bowling Analysis Thread

Would love to hear the views of ICFers.

From what I saw today, I am blown away guys.

Looks like a lead spinner. Check.

Flight. Check.

Dip. Check.

Turn off a docile surface. Check.

Accuracy. Check.

Sets his own field. Check.

Dunno about his drift (haven't watched his spells too closely).

Does this guy get more turn out of the surface than EVERY single successful test spinner of ours in the past (barring Subhash Gupte who I have just heard about)?

If I think about it, getting turn was the biggest issue for Kumble, Bhajji, Ashwin and Jaddu. This guy may not have that problem.

Someone in the past did tell me he could extract good turn out of any surface but I wasn't sure about his flight. And even if he flighted it, I wasn't sure if he could get the dip (cos simply tossing the ball in the air means nothing). But he got all of it.

Still early days but my goodness....this guy has everything a spinner could hope for.

What do you guys think?

And what are the odds he can do well on overseas flatties?

Edited by sensible-indian

Doesnt get much drift but does get decent amount of dip. For a wrist spinner he has excellent control over his line and length. He hardly bowled any long hoffs today. He has good variations normal, wrong un as well googly. I think he is still working on flipper so did not bowl that delivery very much today. Still think he needs to increase his pace a bit his average pace was around 79 kph tdday

The advantage of being wrist spinner is that he can even get purchase on the flattest of wicket. I think he is very good prospect overseas too since he can extract more out of the wicket than both our finger spinners jadeja and ashwin.

This guy has the capacity to lead our spin attack when we travel abroad. Today's pitch didn't have anything for spinners yet he managed to extract good amount of turn. The dip was great, especially the ball to Handscomb, possibly Australia's best batsman of spin. One more thing that stood out was his temperament. He was ready to wait and set up the batsmen before unleashing the surprise. He also didn't flatten his deliveries when batsmen threatened to take him on.. Kumble and co have a match winner in their hand. Needs to be managed well.. this guy will go places.

5 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

This guy has the capacity to lead our spin attack when we travel abroad. Today's pitch didn't have anything for spinners yet he managed to extract good amount of turn. The dip was great, especially the ball to Handscomb, possibly Australia's best batsman of spin. One more thing that stood out was his temperament. He was ready to wait and set up the batsmen before unleashing the surprise. He also didn't flatten his deliveries when batsmen threatened to take him on.. Kumble and co have a match winner in their hand. Needs to be managed well.. this guy will go places.

I remember you calling out Kuldeep in favor of chahal :p

Just busting your chops lol

Comfortably outbowled World no. 1 & 2. That is some achievement on this pitch. I can't remember when was the last time we had a player making such an impactful debut. 

Makes me think why he wasn't tried earlier. If not for Kohli's injury he'd still be the waterboy. Also he gives a problem of riches to selectors and team management. We cannot play 3 spinners everyehere. Interesting to see how his career shapes out from here now that this is the last match of the home season.

"  I am very happy," says Kuldeep Yadav. "A dream come true for me. In a Test match. Can't ask for more than this. Initially I was nervous when I was standing at fine leg in the first over. Then it felt normal for me. I have improved my fitness levels, which helped me with my bowling. The wicket was good to bat on, the ball was not turning match. A little bit help for the spinners. I bowled just wicket to wicket. And variations. Obviously I worked a lot on my variations. The wrong'un, flipper and the normal chinaman. For Handscomb I set up the plan. I showed him the wrong'un first, and then bowled him with the chinaman."

Kuldeep after today's play on Star.The way he set up Handscombe was a thing of beauty.

Yes he has good variations , great googly etc but thing that stood out most was his control over his length .Very impressive .Is a special talent and will be even more lethel in ODI where batsmen will have to attack him.

18 minutes ago, Pollack said:

For a wrist spinner half the battle is won if he has control. Can anyone give reasons for his mediocre first class stats. :confused:

When Piyush Chawla was captaining UP he was given only the odd chances here and there as UP had only one spinner. He could not develop his longer format game and was also 20 year old so still developing his trade. He was also bulky which affected his athleticism.

Last Ranji Season is the only time he played a full season and he was pretty good with average of 26 or so and also averaged 33 with bat. He is still only 22 and will keep on improving. Also has lost a lot of weight now and so able to bowl longer spells effectively.

31 minutes ago, Pollack said:

For a wrist spinner half the battle is won if he has control. .....

This.

And control over long bowling spells is a function of stamina.  So I also loved the fact that he's become so much fitter since the last time I saw him.  Tells me that the boy is hungry to do well.

Edited by NameGoesHere
7 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Piyush Mota Chawal is the captain. Maybe that has to do with something with that?

5 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

When Piyush Chawla was captaining UP he was given only the odd chances here and there as UP had only one spinner. He could not develop his longer format game and was also 20 year old so still developing his trade. He was also bulky which affected his athleticism.

Last Ranji Season is the only time he played a full season and he was pretty good with average of 26 or so and also averaged 33 with bat. He is still only 22 and will keep on improving. Also has lost a lot of weight now and so able to bowl longer spells effectively.

Chawala has been mediocre for a long time.Anyway this and fitness both may be the reasons.Glad he is much lean now.

I had called for his inclusion at ranchi in place of ishant, the illusion of reverse swing probabaly made Kohli select ishant. In fact Kohli should have played him and shreyas iyer against bangladesh. All those decisions cost us ranchi match. Hopefully we get this one at dharmasala.