Such a ballsy move by Team Management kept us in the series

Laaloo

Seriously selecting Kuldeep in such a crucial match took some guts. I dont know who was behind it whether it was Kohli or Kumble or Rahane but man oh man, we would still be fielding if it wasn't for him. Before the match, if kohli was out, we knew it was going to be Iyer to replace him. There was talk of Mukund replacing the injured Vijay. And if Shami was deemed fit, he would have replaced Ishant. But Kuldeep selection was gutsy. It paid off brilliantly so far. I was a bit skeptical because playing 5 bowlers has come back to haunt us but Kuldeep has paid more dividends than maybe what Iyer could have offered. 

Let's go and put up 450 on the board guys. :icflove:

Edited by laaloo
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Should have done lot earlier. 3 spinners would have been enough.  Only Shami and Umesh are indispensable fast bowlers at this point. Everyone else is dispensable.

Oh yes absolutely this should have been done a couple of series earlier at least but man Ashwin and Jadeja were looking ineffective. Australia would have posted 450+ in the first innings.

Just now, WC2011INDIA said:

Stop with these early celebrations..The way you all are reacting..It seems as if Australia were bold out for 150. They have 300 on the board. Their pace attack is good and if Lyon can bowl decently, we might be in a big trouble. Remember..many batsmen in this line-up are uncomfortable against swing barring 1 or 2.

Huh? Who is celebrating? I've seen you so many times over the past few series where you have declared an Indian loss beforehand and they come back and win the match :rotfl:

I don't see it as a "ballsy" move. To retain the BG trophy, Ind needs to win the test. To win, you usually need to pick 20 wkts. On a surface where you may not be able to leverage, relatively speaking, on your bowling strength (spin), you need a mystery type of bowler 

It is hard to replace Kohli. There is no guarantee on what an inexperienced batsmen will deliver, while a bowler is always in the match as he has the opportunities to make comebacks. If the bowler happens to be of mystery variety, you play him 

21 minutes ago, zen said:

I don't see it as a "ballsy" move. To retain the BG trophy, Ind needs to win the test. To win, you usually need to pick 20 wkts. On a surface where you may not be able to leverage, relatively speaking, on your bowling strength (spin), you need a mystery type of bowler 

It is hard to replace Kohli. There is no guarantee on what an inexperienced batsmen will deliver, while a bowler is always in the match as he has the opportunities to make comebacks. If the bowler happens to be of mystery variety, you play him 

Also to go with the fact that India have been batting okay, not relying heavily on Kohli's batting would have given them confidence to take this gamble. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Move was forced. Mukund is an useless batsman. It is logical to go with Kuldeep to add more variety. 

Err they could have easily played iyer. Batsman replaces an injured bat. Iyer had that 200 vs Aussies as well in the practice matches. But they struggled to take 20 wickets in last match this might have prompted to try out him.

34 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Err they could have easily played iyer. Batsman replaces an injured bat. Iyer had that 200 vs Aussies as well in the practice matches. But they struggled to take 20 wickets in last match this might have prompted to try out him.

True. But Ashwin's injury probably played a role as well. He is not at top of his game.  Between Jayant and Kuldeep,  Jayant offers more stability to batting, Kuldeep offers more variety to bowling.  Looking at the decision to include him makes me wonder if they contemplated on picking him even for the Third test. 

Seriously now! why this praise for team management all of a sudden?? I would say its idiotism of team management for keeping him so late till they 4th test, when you have a left arm wrist spinner with a cracking wrong un

You should pay him instead team management chose jayant yadav who didn't even turn the ball on that pune mine field, I am damn sure kuldeep would have spun us to victory on that last day of 3rd test as well !!