Kohli vs Sachin . Can we stop this embarrassing comparison (POLL)

Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?

55 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

There is no clear idea on this issue because there is no clear idea on evaluating captaincy or will to win. 
Someone who is quiet doesnt mean they have less will to win and someone who doesn't go mouthing off opponents with BC/MC every 2 words doesnt mean that they don't care about team performance.

You are simply passing off your perception as some sort of quantifiable truth. It isn't . 

Also as i said, if you concede Tendulkar is a better batsman, he is then automatically a better cricketer due to vastly superior bowling and catching skills than Virat- those are cricketing skills that makes a cricketer.

If you think Tendulkar was a better captain then Kohli then there is not much to say.      :phehe:

I am just expressing my opinions in this thread just like everyone else.   If you want quantifiable truths, just check stats regarding batting and captaincy.  ( which show that Tendulkar is the better test batsman and ODI batsman while setting target.... Kohli is the better captain, better ODI batsman while chasing and better T20 batsman )

Edited by express bowling
Just now, express bowling said:

If you think Tendulkar was a better captain then Kohli then there is not much to say.      :phehe:

I am just expressing my opinions in this thread just like everyone else.   If you want quantifiable truths, just check stats regarding batting and captaincy.

I don't think he was better captain than Kohli...but i think Kohli is only slightly better than Tendulkar as a captain.

There is no quantifiable truth about captaincy because win/loss is dictated by team quality. Not captaincy. Not even Mike Brearley would make bangladesh defeat South Africa in South Africa. And anybody from ICF could've captained the mighty West Indies or Australia of the 90s and with same result.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am just expressing my opinions in this thread just like everyone else.   If you want quantifiable truths, just check stats regarding batting and captaincy.

Tendulkar being a poor captain is a myth. Can you compare Sachin's team to Kohli's team.

Also Sachin had some close encounters where he could have won tests in SA and WI(90's WI).

Yes Kohli is more hands on captain than Sachin but it is not like comparing a NO 1 bat with a tailender.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I don't think he was better captain than Kohli...but i think Kohli is only slightly better than Tendulkar as a captain.

There is no quantifiable truth about captaincy because win/loss is dictated by team quality. Not captaincy. Not even Mike Brearley would make bangladesh defeat South Africa in South Africa. And anybody from ICF could've captained the mighty West Indies or Australia of the 90s and with same result.

The test team that Tendulkar captained was qualitatively no worse than Kohli's team.

10 minutes ago, mishra said:

Since that Hero cup win in Eden gardens Indian team performance was only Sachins performance 

And that era lasted atleast till kaif and Yuvi won us that Natwest trophy. 

And yes. We switched off tele and went out to eat in that Natwest final

too. Missed complete knock of Yuvi and Kaif till someone in restuarant anounced that we are winning

Edited by mishra
15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Maybe in close cases but not while comparing Kohli's and Tendulkar's  captaincy.

Although results produced by captaincy is not the sole factor but that becomes a big factor in the end.

Take Rahane's captaincy in third test. Every bowling changes he did or didn't looked stupid and many on ICF felt the same(including myself) because the situation we were getting to wasn't pleasant. Suddenly the next match rahane is a brilliant captain since we won and were doing better for most part of the match. Lol.  So no its not about just close cases. Most of the time its about players in your team and their capabilities. Team selection is a very vital component but I don't think a captain is alone in it.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The test team that Tendulkar captained was qualitatively no worse than Kohli's team.

Huh? a bowling attack of Kuruvilla,Ganesh and Prasad w/Kumble

vs

No1 and No2 bowlers in the world Ash,Jaddu,Umesh,Bhuvi and Kuldeep ?

52 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Batting in clutch situations ?

LOL. Thats about batting. And Tendulkar has been a lot more clutch than Kohli - that much i already showed.

Team building/team selection etc are all nebulous concepts that are more about what you prefer than actual quantifiable right/wrong. Its not like Tendulkar promoted nobodies to the team...infact he uncharacteristically spoke out against quota pick Nilesh Kulkarni for being a Mumbai quota pick.

Also, none of that has anything to do with 'will to win'. 

Team building and selection are not nebulous. They are quantifiable.

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Take Rahane's captaincy in third test. Every bowling changes he did or didn't looked stupid and many on ICF felt the same(including myself) because the situation we were getting to wasn't pleasant. Suddenly the next match rahane is a brilliant captain since we won and were doing better for most part of the match. Lol.  So no its not about just close cases. Most of the time its about players in your team and their capabilities. Team selection is a very vital component but I don't think a captain is alone in it.

Rahane's bowling changes or the lack of it did not look stupid to me in most cases.  The only time I did not like it clearly was when he bowled Ashwin and Jadeja in tandem for a very long time.  Tactically, in that one match, , he neither looked very bad nor very good to me.

We cannot rate a stand-in captain in totality because he is saddled with a team in momentum, either negative or positive. Nor does he have full control over the team or the team composition.

23 minutes ago, maniac said:

vs

He had slightly better test batsmen than the current team, in Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman , Ganguly and Siddhu.

Bowling had Kumble and Srinath..... support from Raju and Prasad.   Bhajji  played  in the later part too.

Yes, Srinath was injured in 1997,  but so is Shami now.

p.s -  Kuldeep has just debuted and we cannot rate him now.  He is yet to play under Kohli.

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, Viper said:

:wall::wall::wall: How are you comparing Run machine to some selfish dude.. 

Virat Kohli is miles ahead.. He doesn't choke in finals atleast.. Can't remember proper match sachin won us chasing..Virat will eat him for breakfast and dinner

Please on what basis are you saying that ? 

Lol what happened to chickened out kohli.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

vs

He had srinath but he bowled him to the ground srinath was never the same fast bowler after that.

Edited by gattaca

Having made a couple of harsh posts yesterday, I want to mention(for whatever it's worth) that I love each and every one of you... even the lamest and Most illogical of sachin fans. 

But Kohli is the daddy of sachin. Embarrassing to even compare the 2 in LoIs (both 50-50 n 20-20).  In tests, Sachin ahead. Steve Smith even better. Kohli should catch up. In captaincy, Sachin is an utter failure. Kohli - refreshing, fearless and very good tactically.

So as a cricketer and for overall value Kohli miles ahead of Sachin.

As a batsman as well, Kohli comfortably ahead.

Edited by randomGuy

In test cricket Kohli isn't fit to lace Sachin's boots. If he were to play in 90s with his shoddy clownass technique Mcgrath, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Ws, Warne, Murali, Saqlain would have torn his sorry ass apart and definitely under 30 average. I am not even sure he would have found a place in our 90s batting order, maybe as a drinks boy. 

In ODIs he is only better than Sachin in run chases on flat motorways where 350 is a par score. In every other facet of the game they should't even be mentioned in the same line. And don't remind me of their respective WC records. Sachin's WC record will stand the test of time while Kohli has been a disaster in both the Cups except a couple of innings.

I absolutely love Kohli and am glad he is our captain but SRT was something different. SunnyG and SRT shouldn't be compared to any other Indian batsman...not fair.