Best Subcontinent team to win World Cup

Best Subcontinent team to win World cup  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best Subcontinent team to win World cup

• 1983 - India under Kapil Dev
    • 1992 - Pakistan under Imran Khan
    • 1996 - SriLanka under Ranatunga
    • 2011 - India under Dhoni

Today six years ago we won our second world Cup.So probably appropriate time to ask this question.

Which Sub  continent team to win the world cup do u consider the best?

For me 83 was a middling team achieving against greatest odds .

92 Pakistan are probably the luckiest team to win World cup.They didn't even deserve to qualify for Knock outs if not for rain and had massive luck in semis against Kiwis

So it has to be between our 2011 team under Dhoni and 1996 SriLanka Team.

Leaving my bias aside have to SriLanka 96 were better than us imo.They didn't  didn't lose a single game in the tournament .Also beat us twice at home including the Semi .And more importantly how the appraoched the gave even revolutionized the ODI cricket .

Edited by BeautifulGame

In terms of talent and champion performers, 2011 trumps them all. World beaters.. Easily the best team!

In terms of spirit and never say die attitude, 1983 is your team..

In terms of resilience and coming back from adversity, 1992 Pakistan.. (they lost many league games came but came back well)

In terms of magnetic presence and dynamic team, 1996 Lankan team was great.

1996 - Sri Lanka: Kulu, Sanath, Aravinda, Ranatunga, Vaas, Murli

Special mention for 2003 India team, would have been them if they had beaten an all time great Aus team in final, we had the batsmen and bowlers...but Zaheer and Srinath had a total mental disintegration that day.

9 minutes ago, chewy said:

Special mention for 2003 India team, would have been them if they had beaten an all time great Aus team in final, we had the batsmen and bowlers...but Zaheer and Srinath had a total mental disintegration that day.

Yes the 2003 was better than the 2011 team, if it weren't for the mighty aussies, that team would've been the greatest ever to win the world cup

26 minutes ago, chewy said:

And our stupidity to bowl first in a world Cup first against that Aussie team.

Well, we batted first against them in league stage and were allout for 120.  Can't blame Gangu too much for that call.  

That was when our form was awful .We had just scrapped past Holland.

The final was after 9 consecutive wins .We had the tournament top scorer who thrives in setting target and the best player in the world then.

And this was a world Cup final were 6 of the previous seven winners batted first.

It was just a moronic decision .

Just now, BeautifulGame said:

That was when our form was awful .We had just scrapped past Holland.

The final was after 9 consecutive wins .We had the tournament top scorer who thrives in setting target and the best player in the world then.

And this was a world Cup final were 6 of the previous seven winners batted first.

It was just a moronic decision .

I'm no brainwashed fan of Gangu's captaincy, he was no tactical genius.  And I dont disagree that it would have been better to bat.  Point is, it wasn't as obvious a mistake as it looks today.  

I'm no brainwashed fan of Gangu's captaincy, he was no tactical genius.  And I dont disagree that it would have been better to bat.  Point is, it wasn't as obvious a mistake as it looks today.  

It was pretty obvious mistakeeven then.None of the points I had made were in hindsight.

Just now, Gollum said:

Sri Lanka 1996 just edges India 2011.

The other 3 are not even in contention. 

SL 96 were ahead of the time and brilliant with their tactics, which were tailor-made for the conditions.  I don't think they could have replicated their success in Eng/SA/Aus.   Pak 92 had the best bowling, India 2011 had the best batting.   If you say that India 2011 wouldn't have done as well outside of India, you can argue that Pak bowling would have been less successful in Asian conditions as well.  Honestly speaking, none of the sides that won the WC have really been ATG outfits.  The West Indies side of the 70s, and the Aussie team that pulled off the WC hatrick, especially the 2003 version, were in that high echelon.  

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sri Lanka 1996 just edges India 2011.

The other 3 are not even in contention. 

Jayasura kalu arvinda ranatunga guruverdane vs Sachin Sehwag kohli gambhir yuvi dhoni 

Murali vaas (I don't even remember the other bowlers) vs Zaheer munaf nehra? bhajji

India 2011 smashes Sri lanka 1996 out of the park 

9 minutes ago, kira said:

Jayasura kalu arvinda ranatunga guruverdane vs Sachin Sehwag kohli gambhir yuvi dhoni 

Murali vaas (I don't even remember the other bowlers) vs Zaheer munaf nehra? bhajji

India 2011 smashes Sri lanka 1996 out of the park 

Smashes is a bit strong.  Jayasurya and Arvinda were class in ODIs, and Ranatunga was wily veteran.  Kalu punched above his weight that tourney, but all winning teams always have a couple of guys like that who step up.  SL 96 was a team greater than the sum of its parts.  Should be respected for what it achieved.  

6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Smashes is a bit strong.  Jayasurya and Arvinda were class in ODIs, and Ranatunga was wily veteran.  Kalu punched above his weight that tourney, but all winning teams always have a couple of guys like that who step up.  SL 96 was a team greater than the sum of its parts.  Should be respected for what it achieved.  

I watched them live, you don't need to tell me about it, 2011 will smash the 1996 lankans, they were good for that time but apart from jaya arvinda vaas and murali, I don't see anyone as much of a threat, sure smash might be an exaggeration but there is a significant gap in quality between the two teams

3 minutes ago, kira said:

I watched them live, you don't need to tell me about it, 2011 will smash the 1996 lankans, they were good for that time but apart from jaya arvinda vaas and murali, I don't see anyone as much of a threat, sure smash might be an exaggeration but there is a significant gap in quality between the two teams

You aren't the only one who "watched them live".    Teams across eras always are tough comparisons, because the game evolves, and recent scoring rates and strategies makes teams look a lot more intimidating.  You can argue that SL of 2011 would have "smashed" SL 1996, but that doesn't mean much.   Point is, SL 1996 was a flawed team that achieved greatness, just like India 2011 or India 1983 - I don't disagree that India 2011 are a stronger team - but to dismiss SL 96 is just petulant refusal to give credit where its due.  To each his own.  Downplaying other teams' strengths while exaggerating one's own is very green-bro-ish.   You know, like those fans that start dancing on forums after winning a couple of T20s against West Indies.