Best Subcontinent team to win World cup  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best Subcontinent team to win World cup

• 1983 - India under Kapil Dev
    • 1992 - Pakistan under Imran Khan
    • 1996 - SriLanka under Ranatunga
    • 2011 - India under Dhoni

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You aren't the only one who "watched them live".    Teams across eras always are tough comparisons, because the game evolves, and recent scoring rates and strategies makes teams look a lot more intimidating.  You can argue that SL of 2011 would have "smashed" SL 1996, but that doesn't mean much.   Point is, SL 1996 was a flawed team that achieved greatness, just like India 2011 or India 1983 - I don't disagree that India 2011 are a stronger team - but to dismiss SL 96 is just petulant refusal to give credit where its due.  To each his own.  Downplaying other teams' strengths while exaggerating one's own is very green-bro-ish.   You know, like those fans that start dancing on forums after winning a couple of T20s against West Indies.  

lol why are so obsessed with greenbros? You can overrate sri lanka all you want, I will say it again India 2011 will SMASH sri lanka 1996, it hardly matters to me if I look "green-bro-ish" to you.

And who said I was the only one who watched them live? So why would you bring such a stupid point?

4 minutes ago, kira said:

lol why are so obsessed with greenbros? You can overrate sri lanka all you want, I will say it again India 2011 will SMASH sri lanka 1996, it hardly matters to me if I look "green-bro-ish" to you.

And who said I was the only one who watched them live? So why would you bring such a stupid point?

Keep calm Kira.  

18 minutes ago, kira said:

I watched them live, you don't need to tell me about it,

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Keep calm Kira.  

I said that to stop you from giving me a lesson on sri lanka 1996, I didn't say that I was the only one who watched the 1996 sri lanka team so I know about it better than anyone else. Big difference.

The term "best" is subjective.

In 2011 India were favorites to win beforehand and won

In 1983 1996 and 1992 teams were outsiders. 1983 and 1996 especially team were rank outsiders.

In 1992 Pakistan were helped by rain rules from being eliminated and bounced back strongly to win the World cup. 

On paper I feel the Pak team of 1992 and the Indian team of 2011 were the best. 

In term of difficulty 1992 followed by 1983 is it was in away conditions

In term of advanced to the way people played cricket, IMO Sanath and Romesh in 1996 redefined powerplays. 

Man I loved the 2003 world cup. After initial phainty by the Aussies and close match against hollland, we were on a roll. Brushed aside all the teams until we met aus in final again. I think ganguly chose to bowl first was because there was rain prediction later on and because we got bowled out for 125 batting first in the first match. 

2011 tournament was good too but after the 2007 embarrassment, we were pretty much guaranteed a spot in the QF in 2011 and we had to win basically 3 matches to lift the cup. In 2003, we had to fight to get into super 6, then the SF and the Final. Only if he we had pulled it off ;(

I got bad memories of that final.i saw the whole aussie inning ball by ball and then went to sleep. Woke up and India were 95-3 :(

Just now, laaloo said:

Man I loved the 2003 world cup. After initial phainty by the Aussies and close match against hollland, we were on a roll. Brushed aside all the teams until we met aus in final again. I think ganguly chose to bowl first was because there was rain prediction later on and because we got bowled out for 125 batting first in the first match. 

He gave an explanation some time later.There was some rain the day before ,so Ganguly though there might be some moisture for our fast bowlers to exploit in the first half hour.

On a side note what do everyone think will be a combined XI of the four teams?

Sachin  , Jayasurya ,Gambhir , Desilva , Yuvi, Dhoni, Kapil, Imran, Wasim, Murali, Zaheer

Fair team? Perhaps slightly biased towards India but apart from perhaps Gambhir vs Amarnath vs Minanded , everyone else is definite pick imo.

I would go for the 2011 WC winning team for the batting depth. That was one of the deepest and most brutal batting team and with nearly everyone still performing well. The team had hitter at the top, batsmen who could bat deep and long, and serious firepower at the death and in the middle order.

2 hours ago, kira said:

Jayasura kalu arvinda ranatunga guruverdane vs Sachin Sehwag kohli gambhir yuvi dhoni 

Murali vaas (I don't even remember the other bowlers) vs Zaheer munaf nehra? bhajji

India 2011 smashes Sri lanka 1996 out of the park 

2011 WC wasn't even our best ODI team, clearly inferior to our 2003 team. We looked unconvincing throughout the Cup, losing to RSA and clowning against England. Only the Aussie QF was of decent quality.

1996 team smashed all teams they met, they were riding a wave of confidence never seen before in ODI cricket. Even Ponting once called that team the best WC team he had ever seen, and he is Aussie. 

While on paper 2011 India looks stronger, Lanka was a team in red hot form that WC. 

I think 96 SL team was quite beatable.

The SF that we lost had the worst captaincy in a game one can think of. 

Srinath bowling only 7 overs in which he picked 3 wicket, AFAIK he wasn't even given 2nd spell.

Instead Jadeja who was 6th or 7th bowling option bowled 5 overs and gave 31 runs.

Batting 2nd on a pitch prone to crumbling was another brainfart also in important games chasing is always difficult.

After being 98/2 the way our batsmen were gifting them wickets was seriously dodgy.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

2011 WC wasn't even our best ODI team, clearly inferior to our 2003 team. We looked unconvincing throughout the Cup, losing to RSA and clowning against England. Only the Aussie QF was of decent quality.

1996 team smashed all teams they met, they were riding a wave of confidence never seen before in ODI cricket. Even Ponting once called that team the best WC team he had ever seen, and he is Aussie. 

While on paper 2011 India looks stronger, Lanka was a team in red hot form that WC. 

Our 2011 team was definitely better than 2003

Sachin was brilliant in both editions.Sehwag in 2011 was better than 2003

Gambhir > Ganguly(Ganguly was fag end of his career)

Kohli > Kaif

Dhoni > Dravid

Yuvi 2011 > Yuvi 2003 (Maybe debatable)

Raina >>>>>>>>>> Mongia

As far as bowling in 2003 our fast bowlers did well whereas in 2011 spinners and Zak did well.Mostly condition oriented.

Our seam attack 2003 >2011 and Spin attack 2011 > 2003.

21 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Our 2011 team was definitely better than 2003

Sachin was brilliant in both editions.Sehwag in 2011 was better than 2003

Gambhir > Ganguly(Ganguly was fag end of his career)

Kohli > Kaif

Dhoni > Dravid

Yuvi 2011 > Yuvi 2003 (Maybe debatable)

Raina >>>>>>>>>> Mongia

As far as bowling in 2003 our fast bowlers did well whereas in 2011 spinners and Zak did well.Mostly condition oriented.

Our seam attack 2003 >2011 and Spin attack 2011 > 2003.

lol what crap 

Sachin 2003 > Sachin 2011 + Sehwag 2011 + kohli 2011

Sehwag 2003 <= Sehwag 2011

Ganguly 2003= Gambhir2011

Dravid 2003 > Kohli 2011

Mongia 2003< Dhoni/Raina

Yuvi 2003 < Yuvi 2011

Srinath 2003 > All the Indian pacers of 2011

Nehra 2003 > All the Indian pacers 2011 barring Zaheer maybe

Zaheer 2003 > Zaheer 2011 + all other pacers 

Bhajji 2003 > Bhajji 2011

2003 team was our best world cup team ever

4 hours ago, laaloo said:

2011 tournament was good too but after the 2007 embarrassment, we were pretty much guaranteed a spot in the QF in 2011 and we had to win basically 3 matches to lift the cup. In 2003, we had to fight to get into super 6, then the SF and the Final. Only if he we had pulled it off ;(

I got bad memories of that final.i saw the whole aussie inning ball by ball and then went to sleep. Woke up and India were 95-3 :(

We would have got beaten  batting first or last either ways we were no match for the aussies. 

we were over dependent on sachin alone in  WC 2003 and we were also lucky to play kenya twice both in super stage and in semifinals while kenya managed to enter super stage becoz some matches were abandoned by NZL, england due to security reason. 

Edited by helperononline