Wolf in sheep's clothing: Javagal Srinath

Only if he was taken good care of the then captain he could have played more and had more wickets. It's just people didn't know fast bowlers break down. Still remember this like yesterday srinath was injured after a tiresome tour of South Africa. We were left with prasad and kuruvilla who got spanked by jayasuriya and saeed anwar. It was like a constant whip from these two batsman especially. 

3 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

I still can't believe India didn't pick him for the 2002 England and New Zealand tours. Falling out with Srinath was the biggest mistake Ganguly ever made in his captaincy career, he could have won India at least another test.

Falling out with Ganguly???  I thought he was the best act Ganguly had during Worldcup 2003 and NZ tour prior to that

9 hours ago, Ironhide said:

Another nice article on Javagal Srinath apart from the " Javagal Srinath: One in a billion"  which can be found here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/111878.html

Posting few lines from the new article:

In 1992: "And yet when the series came to a merciful end and we were told it was safe to come out, the highlights packages were full of Srinath. He was everywhere: running in silkily, sliding into a lovely, wrenching side-on sling of an action, almost like a proper fast bowler. There he was, pitching it up, making the batsmen play, taking wickets at a rate second only to Donald. There he was, sending Meyrick Pringle to hospital with a monstrous lifter that beat Pringle's hook shot and burst between visor and grille. Almost like a proper fast bowler."

In 1996: "We were almost right. Spin dominated the first three innings. The South Africans clawed ahead; found themselves set just 170 to win. And then, out of nowhere, they were 0 for 2: Srinath had trapped Hudson in front and nicked off Darryll Cullinan next ball. It was all over inside 39 overs: South Africa rolled for 105, and Srinath supreme with 6 for 21."

In 1997: "One man, however, went with his head held high. Srinath's wicket tally was second only to an utterly dominant Donald - 18 to Donald's 20 - and he had taken almost twice as many wickets in the series as the new local hero, Shaun Pollock. I had to admit it. The guy was almost a proper fast bowler; making the new ball swing in or seam away; getting the old one to cut back; finding the outside edge, beating the inside edge."

"By 2001, though, when India returned for another series, I was sure he was done. It felt as if he had been bowling at South Africa for decades. I was midway through high school when I first saw him. Now I had left university and had a job. But there he was - "Oh it's him!" exclaimed my mother - still gliding in, still pitching it up, taking five hard-fought wickets in Bloemfontein; 6 for 76 in Port Elizabeth, snuffing out Gary Kirsten and clean-bowling Jacques Kallis."

You might have seen an honest toiler who could nip out a few here and there. But I saw a strike bowler who dismissed South Africa's batsmen at a better strike rate than Warne, Murali and McGrath. I saw a man coming back over after over, Test after Test, year after year; excellent to the end.

Only six bowlers have taken more Test wickets against South Africa, ever.

No seamer of the last 50 years has taken more.

Yes, I saw a proper fast bowler.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1086094/wolf-in-sheep-s-clothing

some players never get the respect they deserve....

Bow down to the best fast bowler ever bowled for india...

BTW....where is he now ?? I dont find in any IPL teams nor BCCI events 

4 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

They had to compromise later and Srinath came out of retirement to just play world Cup.

No 

9 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

I still can't believe India didn't pick him for the 2002 England and New Zealand tours. Falling out with Srinath was the biggest mistake Ganguly ever made in his captaincy career, he could have won India at least another test.

Srinath Retired during Wi tour before england saying he could not cope with test cricket and wanted to concentrate on playing wc.

3 hours ago, CG said:

No 

Srinath Retired during Wi tour before england saying he could not cope with test cricket and wanted to concentrate on playing wc.

Srinath had serious shoulder injury issues.  It wasn't realistic for him to play test cricket at that point. Ganguly tried very hard to convince him, but it wasn't meant to be.  

The one incident I remember is when Srinath hit Ponting, went up to Ponting, Ponting abused him royally and Srinath returning back to the bowling mark head bowed. That was one time I saw a fast bowler being sledged by a batsman after the bowler had actually hit the batsman and was supposed to have the upper hand. I would love to see an Aussie or any other team's player do that to our current set of pacers under Kohli :laugh:

Srinath wasn't meant to be a fast bowler. He had all the attributes needed for a fast bowler but didn't have the attitude or the spirit of one.

Edited by Ultimate_Game

I don't know how many of you have watched India in the late 90s, Srinath was god sent gift for Indians after suffering from torture by mohanty, harvinder singh,kurruvila etc.  Srinath was no medium pacer, he was a full blooded fast bowler who could seriously injure you with pace. I remember a game vs sri lanka in the late 90s, a ball from srinath broke the grill of the helmet and smashed the batsman right on his face. The batsman was completely messed up and bleeding profusely. The ability to terrorize a batsman with pace is a quality which even the modern Indian pacers lack. (Although the current crop of Indian pacers have given me great hope. Shami umesh especially)

If srinath played in a better era where more care was given to his fitness, with all the support staff that we have today, then he would have been one of the top most bowlers in the world, even during 90s he managed to achieve a great deal for Indian cricket. Zaheer apart from a couple of good years is nowhere near Srinath.

13 minutes ago, kira said:

I don't know how many of you have watched India in the late 90s, Srinath was god sent gift for Indians after suffering from torture by mohanty, harvinder singh,kurruvila etc.  Srinath was no medium pacer, he was a full blooded fast bowler who could seriously injure you with pace. I remember a game vs sri lanka in the late 90s, a ball from srinath broke the grill of the helmet and smashed the batsman right on his face. The batsman was completely messed up and bleeding profusely. The ability to terrorize a batsman with pace is a quality which even the modern Indian pacers lack. (Although the current crop of Indian pacers have given me great hope. Shami umesh especially)

If srinath played in a better era where more care was given to his fitness, with all the support staff that we have today, then he would have been one of the top most bowlers in the world, even during 90s he managed to achieve a great deal for Indian cricket. Zaheer apart from a couple of good years is nowhere near Srinath.

Yes I know of the incident and after seeing the SL batsman bleeding Srinath felt faint :giggle:

I unearthed an old thread regarding Srinath with similar discussion...

41 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Yes I know of the incident and after seeing the SL batsman bleeding Srinath felt faint :giggle:

I unearthed an old thread regarding Srinath with similar discussion...

Cool, I hadn't seen this one, that's what I am talking about, Srinath generated some serious pace, he could go toe to toe with the fastest bowlers in the world during his era, and he played in the era of donald, waqar etc. Even in the late 90s he was the 2nd fastest bowler in the 1999 world cup after akhtar