Younis Khan to retire after West Indies tour

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Legend, hope he goes out with a bang. Met him for a few minutes during the Vizag ODI in 2005 when I was a kid. Was really nice and humble, probably the most likable of all Pak cricketers. A test ATG for sure. :hatsoff:

I wouldn't go that far :giggle: Pakistani great for sure but not an ATG, not by a long shot

One of most petulant and whiny "senior" players in the circuit.   Ego far bigger than his game - only managed to accumulate numbers because he played for a team lacking in class batting alternatives.  

Read this (warning: super long) if you have time, and you will see even a Pakistani writer who wants to cast him in a good light, can't manage to do so:  http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/984309/defiant-till-i-die

Looks like "time-up" for being a crazy, ball-by-ball fan/follower of Pak (Test) Cricket (team)...

after Misbah & Younis, none in Pak cricket team, as on now... whom I can call myself a 'fan' of...

10, 12-15 yrs ago there used to be a time when it was difficult to chose which player I am bigger fan of, out of more than half of team like Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain, Razzaq, Inzi, Yousuf, Younis....

:((:((:((

5 minutes ago, Asim said:

Looks like "time-up" for being a crazy, ball-by-ball fan/follower of Pak (Test) Cricket (team)...

after Misbah & Younis, none in Pak cricket team, as on now... whom I can call myself a 'fan' of...

10, 12-15 yrs ago there used to be a time when it was difficult to chose which player I am bigger fan of, out of more than half of team like Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain, Razzaq, Inzi, Yousuf, Younis....

Tough times ahead for Pak fans, no question.   Maybe Azhar Ali keeps up his improvement curve, then maybe some hope.   Too much politics in selections still, and some serious gaps in batting talent.  And the pace bowling starting to show gaps as well.  I mean, this Hasan Ali is a greenbro Dhawal Kulkarni.    

Why isn't Sohail Khan in the ODI squad - he's supposed to be unfit for 3rd spells in test cricket, but that's not an issue in ODIs.  He's a better bet than Riaz at this point, or even "future ATG youngsta beauty Amir".   He takes wickets.  

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Legend, hope he goes out with a bang. Met him for a few minutes during the Vizag ODI in 2005 when I was a kid. Was really nice and humble, probably the most likable of all Pak cricketers. A test ATG for sure. :hatsoff:

Excellent test bat.

Personally, don't think he is ATG (should have played overseas in the last cycle before his reflexes went bust).

Not humble at heart.

But is an embodiment of substance over style.

Edited by sensible-indian
56 minutes ago, Asim said:

Keep faith....I expect a lala unretirement in between somewhere and also Sharjeel Khan's ban might be over in the few years

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Tougn  times ahead for Pak fans, no question.   Maybe Azhar Ali keeps up his improvement curve, then maybe some hope.   Too much politics in selections still, and some serious gaps in batting talent.  And the pace bowling starting to show gaps as well.  I mean, this Hasan Ali is a greenbro Dhawal Kulkarni.    

Why isn't Sohail Khan in the ODI squad - he's supposed to be unfit for 3rd spells in test cricket, but that's not an issue in ODIs.  He's a better bet than Riaz at this point, or even "future ATG youngsta beauty Amir".   He takes wickets. 

Apparently they have selected a 23 year old left arm fast bowling all rounder named Fahim Ashraf. 

First Class stats are decent for an all-rounder. He is a left handed batsman and left arm pacer. 

But considering team management which can even get in to accomodate Deadwood like Hafeez, It's unlikely they give a chance to any young guy. 

1 hour ago, Asim said:

You have sehzad has afridi's hair and does conversions for free

1 hour ago, sensible-indian said:

Excellent test bat.

Personally, don't think he is ATG (should have played overseas in the last cycle before his reflexes went bust).

Not humble at heart.

But is an embodiment of substance over style.

May be, may not be. I was talking from my personal experience of meeting their players in 2005.

Another great of Pakistan to retire after Misbah. Been there even before Misbah and is another exceptional player in Test cricket.

Gave us lot of hard time, but was a gem cricketer and another humble guy with good attitude.

Another player who deserved more respect from Pak fans than what he got.

Top player, hats off and farewell to him. He and Misbah leave huge gap as they leave Pakistan's test side. 

The number of match-winning/series defining performances he's delivered is insane.

91 and 149* vs NZ in 2001

267 and 84* vs India in 2005

171*v s SL in 2015

218 vs England in 2016

200 vs Zim in 2013

To a lesser extent:

153 and 71 vs WI in 2002

45 and 67* vs SA in 2007

35 and 73* vs SL in 2006

106 and 43* vs WI in 2005

106 and 103* vs Aus in 2014

213 and 46 vs Aus in 2014