RCB strategy from here on ..

philcric

Don't think last year's strategy of top heavy batting is going to work this time. Gayle and Watson are out of form. Rahul and Sarfraz who could have held the middle order are injured. Bowling like always is weak. RCB's strength was to bat the other team out of the game. This year its batting is not strong enough to do that.

A strategy worth testing is to go the exact opposite way. Pick 3 foreign bowlers (Mills, Stanlake, Badree) and only 1 foreign batter (ABDV). Instead of top heavy, have a strong middle order and let the youngsters play at the top.

Something like ...

+ Vinod

Mandeep / Baby / Other

* Kohli

Binny

ABDV

Jadhav

Negi

Mills

Stanlake

Badree

Chahal

Or drop Stanlake and play Watson at the top of the order, he would eventually come good in at least one of the disciplines.

+ Vinod

Watson

* Kohli

Binny

ABDV

Jadhav

Mandeep / Baby

Mills

Aniket

Badree

Chahal

The above lineup looks better balanced. Watson has to really get back in form for RCB to be competitive.

Just now, Ultimate_Game said:

I would make one change. I would bring in Watson in pace of Gayle. Watson is a better athlete, can take quick singles and can bowl decently as well. Gayle is done and a waste of spot.

Yes, Watson is a better choice than Gayle at this moment. 

But I also feel it's worth a try to go from top-heavy to middle-heavy. What's happening now is even the top order is playing conservatively because of the weak middle order. It's easier for lesser players to play in the top order.

Today, the new guy in Pune, Tripathi made a 16 ball 33 at the top.

6 minutes ago, BCCI said:

ABD is too low down,completely wasted there.

Virat, AB, Jadhav at 3,4,5  ... also looks fine to me ... but not at 2,3,4.

Leaving the end overs for the likes of Mandeep, Binny and Negi is too tough on them. ABDV and Jadhav should be playing the end overs.

What is the complete overseas player list for RCB? They have 2 heavyweight deadweights in Watson and Gayle..can they drop both?

let us see Mills,Badree,Ab and ------????

Rahul not being there is hurting them...Get Sarfaraz in I am sure he can manage the dibbly dobbly overs that Watson gets in these days anyways

15 minutes ago, philcric said:

Yes, Watson is a better choice than Gayle at this moment. 

But I also feel it's worth a try to go from top-heavy to middle-heavy. What's happening now is even the top order is playing conservatively because of the weak middle order. It's easier for lesser players to play in the top order.

Today, the new guy in Pune, Tripathi made a 16 ball 33 at the top.

I would change my batting order as follows....

Mandeep

Watson

Kohli

ABDV

Kedar

Mandeep should go after the bowling and is much better at the top than being sent in at 5 or 6. Watson is better when the ball is new and has some pace on it. Kohli is perfect at no. 3 spot followed by ABDV and Kedar. To me this is the best batting lineup for B'lore.

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

What is the complete overseas player list for RCB? They have 2 heavyweight deadweights in Watson and Gayle..can they drop both?

let us see Mills,Badree,Ab and ------????

Rahul not being there is hurting them...Get Sarfaraz in I am sure he can manage the dibbly dobbly overs that Watson gets in these days anyways

Sarfraz is out injured this IPL.

18 minutes ago, philcric said:

Virat, AB, Jadhav at 3,4,5  ... also looks fine to me ... but not at 2,3,4.

Leaving the end overs for the likes of Mandeep, Binny and Negi is too tough on them. ABDV and Jadhav should be playing the end overs.

I am thinking the other way round,why think of latter overs,let the best batsman play maximum overs.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I would change my batting order as follows....

Mandeep

Watson

Kohli

ABDV

Kedar

Mandeep should go after the bowling and is much better at the top than being sent in at 5 or 6. Watson is better when the ball is new and has some pace on it. Kohli is perfect at no. 3 spot followed by ABDV and Kedar. To me this is the best batting lineup for B'lore.

Yes, this looks the best option.

In some situations may be while chasing, I may want to sneak Binny in between Kohli and ABDV.

1 minute ago, philcric said:

Yes, this looks the best option.

In some situations may be while chasing, I may want to sneak Binny in between Kohli and ABDV.

I'm not even sure what value Binny brings to the table. He's almost there by default and is a filler. Next season B'lore needs to do a better job to find talented youngsters. I'm sorry but Binny simply isn't good enough.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I'm not even sure what value Binny brings to the table. He's almost there by default and is a filler. Next season B'lore needs to do a better job to find talented youngsters. I'm sorry but Binny simply isn't good enough.

No better options. He smacks a few at times, bowls an over or two at times, decent fielder. Arguably provides more value than the likes of Abdulla, Negi and Mandeep (in present form).

RCB's problem is having too many poor domestic players...historically teams that have done well have very good domestic players and maybe good- average overseas ones.

Apart from Rahul(injured) and Kohli the rest are duds of the highest order.

18 minutes ago, maniac said:

Ok didn't know that...what are their options? Can they buy replacements?

B'lore messed up with not having too many talented youngsters. Plus they are suffering coz of injuries. Starc is out injured along with Rahul and Sarfraz. If all those 3 players are available, B'lore would be a pretty good side. But they need to get better domestic players next season.

10 minutes ago, BCCI said:

I am thinking the other way round,why think of latter overs,let the best batsman play maximum overs.

Doesn't happen often. You are expecting them to start the innings, consolidate it and also finish it. They are also being conservative during the beginning and consolidation phase because of the weak middle order.

Like, the other day, ABDV went ape **** in the last 4 overs, 70 runs were scored, still the team ended up at only 157, because they were too slow in the middle overs.

Today, Virat and AB got out before 15th over .. and last 5 overs only 30 runs were scored with no boundaries ... I know the pitch was a little tough but it's also because no good batsmen were left, though plenty of wickets were remaining.

My point is .... if late middle order is good (like it was with RCB last year), you can have your 3 best batsmen playing in the top 3. If not, you have to spread them around a little more.