I was playing with a fractured wrist - M Vijay

Opening batsman M Vijay played through a part of India's long home season with a "fractured wrist," which limited his range of shots and the power with which he could play them. As a result of the injury, Vijay was ruled out of the ongoing IPL and travelled to the UK for surgery; he returned to Chennai on April 16.

"I don't want to get too much into the status of the injury but I was playing with a fractured wrist," Vijay told the New Indian Express. "It was a difficult situation to be in, but the team always comes first ... I was not able to bat freely because, as the injury aggravated, I couldn't play certain shots and when I went out to bat, I had to grind it out. Especially against pacers, it was difficult at times to even defend off the front foot because it was my bottom hand that was injured."

Vijay missed only one Test - the second against Australia - out of 13 in India's 2016-17 home season, which began with the series against New Zealand in September last year. He was India's third highest run-scorer behind Cheteshwar Pujara and Virat Kohli, making 771 runs at an average of 36.71.

After beginning the season with two half-centuries in the Kanpur Test against New Zealand, then making two hundreds against England and a century in the one-off Test against Bangladesh, Vijay's form tapered during the final series - against Australia. He scored a half-century in Ranchi but did not pass 11 in four other innings.

Vijay said his injury affected his strength while batting. "I was told not to use any power while batting, so that was something I had to keep in mind while facing spinners," he said. "As a batsman, when you can't play certain shots, it affects your momentum and it was frustrating, but I saw it as a challenge because nothing comes easy and I learned a lot."

"My body language might not tell you a real story all the time. I was in pain and it is not in my personality to show what I'm going through and gain sympathy. At the end of the day, I'm the one going through that and need to handle it on my own."

Vijay said he was a while away from playing cricket again, but India do not have any Tests in the near future. "I have already started my rehabilitation and hopefully, in a month or two, I should be able to pick up the bat again."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1093078.html

6 hours ago, Pixel said:

A flat track bully if ever there was one.

Unlike our Younis Khan who tore those ill behaved Aussies a new one recently 

You speak really good english for someone who was born in that country. Lol You speak better english than every damn Pakistani cricketer that ever played. What's your secret? :thinking:

Edited by laaloo
2 hours ago, laaloo said:

You speak really good english for someone who was born in that country. Lol You speak better english than every damn Pakistani cricketer that ever played. What's your secret? :thinking:

His secret is that he's not a pakistani, he's from strayaaaaa, the land of the convicts:bumsmack:

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

Vijay should keep quite and work on his weakness' rather than give reasons. If he indeed played through with fractured wrist the people who need to know will already know so he is betteroff keeping quite about it.

I don't think he was giving excuses.  The guy battled through an injury and did the job for the team.  I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said.  Why should he keep quiet?

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I don't think he was giving excuses.  The guy battled through an injury and did the job for the team.  I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said.  Why should he keep quiet?

he did his job and battled through injury the those who matter know that already, why go to press and create issues for himself , best for him is to play it safe and not get into any adverse press scenario.

On 20/04/2017 at 2:48 AM, sandeep said:

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with what he said. He doesn't come across as whiny. He is a human not a superhero that people expect him to battle through injury and not say a word about it. No wonder men have so much trouble sharing their problems, society perceives it as weak :doh:

Edited by chocochoco
10 hours ago, chocochoco said:

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with what he said. He doesn't come across as whiny. He is a human not a superhero that people expect him to battle through injury and not say a word about it. No wonder men have so much trouble sharing their problems, society perceives it as weak :doh:

You are reading too much into what i said without seeing the merit in it, its funny. i remember support Vijay one of the only ones who did when most in ICF hated him because of him playing for CSK. The minute he fails in an innings there will be folks here calling him for giving excuses, not just here there will be some xyzkar who will write an article in cricinfo suggesting the same.  Its best if Vijay plays it down and focuses on his cricket, being from chennai thats the best bet he has to play for India. Any publicity will be bad publicity for him without backers.