Finally Mahabharata on big screen - To be made on Rs 1000 crore budget

BeautifulGame

It's official! Mohanlal's Randamoozham to be made on Rs 1000 crore budget

A UAE-based Indian businessman is investing Rs 1,000 crore to produce India's biggest-ever motion picture, The Mahabharata, which will be helmed by ad-filmmaker Shrikumar Menon.

According to reports, the film will be made in two parts and is all set to go on the floors in September 2018. The first part of Mahabharata will hit the screens in 2020, while the second part will release 90 days after the first part.

Speaking about the project, BR Shetty said, "The film will be shot primarily in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil and Telugu and will be dubbed into major Indian languages and leading foreign languages."

It must be noted that the film is an adaptation of Randamoozham, written by MT Vasudevan Nair, which tells the story through the eyes of Bheema, the second of the Pandavas.

"The screenplay is written by the writer himself, who holds a record of maximum National Awards for screenwriting in the history of Indian cinema," the release said.

Touted as the creme de la creme of Indian and global cinema, the project will have top-notch technicians and artists from world cinema.

Shetty, Founder and Chairman of UAE Exchange and NMC Healthcare,said the movie would be a true 'Make in India' made for the world and he believed it would not only set global benchmarks, but also reposition India and its prowess in mythological storytelling, .

"I am confident that this film will be adapted in over 100 languages and reach over three billion people across the world," he was quoted as saying in the release.

Mollywood megastar Mohanlal expressed his desire to be part of the film sometime last year. He will be playing Bheema in the film. 

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/randamoozham-mahabharat-to-be-made-on-rs-1000-crore-budget/1/931027.html

Have always wanted to see Mahabharat on movie screen on a grand scale.

Hopefully Mohanlal ropes in some big stars from other Movie industies too.

Also love Mohanlal, awesome actor.This movie will be a fitting tribute to one of the greatest actors of Indian Cinema.

I don't like it. The Mahabharata is too long and too intricate to be compressed into a 3-4 hour 'movie'. Best would be to make a 10-part mini series and not a 300 episode one like they did in the past.

I know it's too complex but still should be capable to do some justice in 2 parts 5-6 hrs .

Expect lot of the yougers years will not be covered.

15 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I don't like it. The Mahabharata is too long and too intricate to be compressed into a 3-4 hour 'movie'. Best would be to make a 10-part mini series and not a 300 episode one like they did in the past.

They will obviously look to film a part of Mahabharata. Its not going to be a exhaustive adaptation.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, BeautifulGame said:

I know it's too complex but still should be capable to do some justice in 2 parts 5-6 hrs .

Expect lot of the yougers years will not be covered.

But the younger years are critical to the story. We need to show why Bhisma never claims the throne for himself, the demigod status of the Pandavas, Ashwatthama's jealousy towards Arjun, Karna being humiliated in open games, etc. If anything, i'd expect them to compress the Vanvvas years- just need to show Arjun going to Devloka to get Indra's astras, Bheem and Ghatotkach dynamic, Sita's marriage and then fast-forward to prelude of Kurukshetra.

But the younger years are critical to the story. We need to show why Bhisma never claims the throne for himself, the demigod status of the Pandavas, Ashwatthama's jealousy towards Arjun, Karna being humiliated in open games, etc. If anything, i'd expect them to compress the Vanvvas years- just need to show Arjun going to Devloka to get Indra's astras, Bheem and Ghatotkach dynamic, Sita's marriage and then fast-forward to prelude of Kurukshetra.

Remember this movie is based on a Malayalam novel .Which is written from the perspective of Bheema.

So I am not sure Bhisma ,Ganga or even the early life of Dronacharya will be included .

Have to see the novel though

Well. Have a bad feeling about this. If this is just one part of the whole story, it should not be named and sold as launching Mahabharat as a film. Might as well just call it Bheemgatha and get it done. It will be so incomplete if they show only some parts and call it as history, almost like telling/teaching wrong history about the biggest story ever.

Well. Have a bad feeling about this. If this is just one part of the whole story, it should not be named and sold as launching Mahabharat as a film. Might as well just call it Bheemgatha and get it done. It will be so incomplete if they show only some parts and call it as history, almost like telling/teaching wrong history about the biggest story ever.

It is not one part of the story.

But Mahabharata through the point of view of Bheema.

I don't see whats wrong with being named Mahabharata either.Particularly when that trash series in Star was also named Mahabharata .

From wiki the plot of the novel

The story begins with the incident of Mahaprasthanika Parva where the Pandavas leave for the pilgrimage to Himalayas forsaking all the worldly possessions. The story runs through the eyes of Bhima who faces seemingly severe frustrations as a young man. Always destined to be second to his weak elder brother Yudhishthira in seniority and younger brother Arjuna in fame and popularity, Bhima is not given his due as the main architect of the Pandava victory over their cousins Kauravas in the Kurukshetra war.

Siddharth would be perfect for Arjun, while krishna could be played by someone like aamir khan. If you are looking for someone to play shakuni, praneet bhat is the right choice. He played shakuni perfectly on the small screen in the latest adaption of mahabharata on star plus

56 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I would love to watch this ,i have forgotten a lot of the story but was looking up some mahabharatha stories and come upon this,can anybody guess the incident without looking it up?

1024px-Bhima_Slays_Jarasandha.jpg

Appears to be Bhim splitting Duryodhan 

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

I would love to watch this ,i have forgotten a lot of the story but was looking up some mahabharatha stories and come upon this,can anybody guess the incident without looking it up?

1024px-Bhima_Slays_Jarasandha.jpg

It's Bhima killing  Jarasandha to save the imprisoned kings.

The king whose body has to be split and thrown in opposite directions to kill him.

1 hour ago, FischerTal said:

Siddharth would be perfect for Arjun, while krishna could be played by someone like aamir khan. If you are looking for someone to play shakuni, praneet bhat is the right choice. He played shakuni perfectly on the small screen in the latest adaption of mahabharata on star plus

Latest rumor is that Mahesh Babu might be doing the role of Krishna