Does IPL need promotion/relegation?

LordPrabhzy

Its a thought I have been thinking for the last few months,

Currently teams like Pune and Punjab have no incentive to improve ( esp the int players who are happy with their paycheck regardless how the team performs) To combat this i propose the following

1. Two Divisions of 6 teams each

2. End of season, Winner of Div 2 gets promoted ( with financial reward) and bottom team in Div 1 gets relegated ( spending cap is reduced in Div 2)

- This will force teams and players to not be complacent and also manage their funding by getting the best possible players.

To those saying there are only a certain number of weeks the IPL can be played and this will increase with new teams... I think not because like football in UK, there are 7/8 matches played in one day so we can easily have 2 games on weekdays ( 1 for Div 1 and 1 for Div 2) and 4 matches on a saturday and a sunday. This will allow broadcasters in India to offer more channels to watch the matches on so the viewer can easily switch over to chose what game they fancy.

@Lord

Edited by LordPrabhzy

Just six teams in a group reduces the number of matches per teams and their revenue drastically.No fans will be happy either.Just compare with EPL who gets 19 home games per season.

2 matches on weekdays are simply not possible or realistic.EPL only play on weekends , whereas IPL is played everyday.

Playing two matches at the same time drastically reduces the viewership figures and cuts big into the profit.Cant compare with EPL where more than 350+ games are played in a season.