Rashid Khan - Great Interview

We have gone through tough times and IPL has come as a balm: Rashid Khan

BY 
BORIA MAJUMDAR

Not often do we hear that the President of a country is tweeting about IPL and is following a particular cricketer. Yes, that’s what is happening with Rashid Khan and the President of Afghanistan. The 18-year-old leg-spinner has become a cult in war-torn Afghanistan, so much so that every kid in his province now aspires to be a cricketer and play in the IPL. Rashid, who has bowled exceedingly well for the SunRisers Hyderabad, has also fulfilled his dream of meeting and having a conversation with his childhood hero, Sachin Tendulkar. Rashid speaks to ET about his IPL experience and how life has turned upside down in the last two weeks. Excerpts: 
How has been the response back home? 
The response has been exceptional. On days that we play, I can't tell you how many messages I receive and how many whatsapp calls I get. The affection has been overwhelming and I must say I am blessed. Our President has been tweeting about me and the Chairman of the Board has also been tweeting and speaking about my performances. IPL has always been popular in Afghanistan but I can say that if earlier 70 per cent people watched IPL now 100 per cent people are following the tournament closely! 

You are now a folk hero of sorts. People want to be Rashid Khan, isn't it? 
Look, the whole world knows that we have gone through troubled times and the IPL has come as a balm for our troubles. People know they can relax and taste success seeing me bowl and rub shoulders with the legends of the game and everyone feels inspired seeing me do what I am doing. The simple truth is if I can, others can as well and that's what is motivating the people back home. 

Having said that you have been bowling exceptionally well. To get the wickets of players like Suresh Raina, Gautam Gambhir and Mccullum isn't easy. Why it is that batsmen are unable to pick your googlies? 
That's good for me isn't it!! Jokes apart I think the batsmen are finding it difficult to read my quick arm action. The players you mention are all very good players of spin and for them to not able to read my action is something I am delighted about. I must also say I have practised my deliveries for hours and months and have developed a certain mastery over them. The skill doesn't come easy and I can only hope I will be able to improve further. 

So which wicket has been the most special? 
It is very difficult to pick a particular wicket. Each and every wicket that you pick is special but what makes it extra special is if my bowling helps my team win a match. That's the best feeling for a cricketer. 

What has been your moment of the IPL so far? Any off the field incident you want to share? 
I have grown up idolising Sachin Tendulkar. He is a legend of the game and is like a cult hero in Afghanistan. Look at his records. He has scored 100 international centuries, a record that will perhaps never be broken. I always wanted to meet him. At the end of the match against Mumbai Indians, Sachin sir came up to me and asked Kaise Ho? This means he knew that I was Rashid Khan, a leg spinner from Afghanistan. It just made me feel really proud that someone like Sachin had spoken to me. Again, I had a chance to meet him in the hotel lobby and I fulfilled all my fan wishes – took pictures with him and took his autograph. 

Your captain David Warner has shown a lot of faith in you. 
David is a bowlers' captain. It has never happened that I have asked him for a particular field and he has not given it to me. It is the same for every bowler. He backs his bowlers and trusts them. Under him you have the freedom to experiment and express yourself. 

And how is like bowling to Warner in the nets? 
(I have bowled) just two balls!! Laughs. The first ball he switch hit me for six. The second ball I beat him. But I will surely bowl more to him in the coming days. 

Do you set goals? You have had a dream start to your IPL career. What is your next goal? 
No, I don't set goals because that will put additional pressure on me. Of course I want to do well and I am determined to make an impact for my team. We are the title holders and there is no reason why we can't have a crack at the title this time round as well withthe team we have. 

So what do you think it will be like when you go back to Afghanistan? 
As I said I've shown that one can achieve success at the highest level and that’s what has inspired people back home. If kids take to playing cricket because of me, what more can one ask for. It is great for cricket in Afghanistan and I wish Mohammad Nabi (another Afghan player who is part of Sunrisers Hyderabad) gets an opportunity to showcase his skills sooner than later.It's a statement to the world that we in Afghanistan can play at the highest level and if we get the opportunities we deserve, we can compete with the very best. 

Were you overawed when you played your first IPL match? 
It was difficult. There were nerves and it is only logical. But I had faith and confidence in my ability that if the captain throws the ball to me I will do my best to pick wickets for my team. Thankfully it has worked and I want to keep doing  .. 

140 Afghan soldiers have been killed just now by Taliban, how heartbreaking it is for the people one can imagine, the country has gone through hell. People like Rashid Khan are a ray of hope and happiness for youngsters and as well as for older people. Would hope Indian Govt. and BCCI can do alot more to bring up Afghan cricket and as well as have more and more Afghans in IPL.

Reading this interview, sometimes i wonder what happened to pakistan..  Afghans behave so maturely.. Rashid and Nabi both.. Bang bros behave much decently as well.. granted they are too emotional at times but they stay away from dumb things like fixing, needless gaali galoch, trying to preach islam on field etc.. but what happened to pakistan? After Imran era, things got bad to worse...

Edited by veer