How Gautam Gambhir imitated Shah Rukh Khan from Chak De to plot RCB's downfall at Eden Gardens

Pollack

IPL 2017: How Gautam Gambhir imitated Shah Rukh Khan from Chak De to plot RCB's downfall at Eden Gardens

image_1493100014_38045420.jpg

Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) made quite the statement while annihilating Royal Challnegers Bangalore (RCB) on Sunday. After being skittled out for a paltry 131 batting first at the high-scoring Eden Gardens, the hosts came out all guns blazing to create Indian Premier League (IPL) history. 

Who would expect a line-up with the likes of Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle could be shot out for less than 50 in a T20 game! But KKR did the impossible with a stunning exhibition of fast-bowling. Their pace quartet of Nathan Coulter-Nile, Umesh Yadav, Chris Woakes and Colin de Grandhomme were simply too hot for RCB to handle. 

What many don't know, however, is the fact that KKR achieved this remarkable feat on the back of some stirring words by their captain Gautam Gambhir. Much like what KKR owner Shah Rukh Khan did in the inspirational movie  Chak De! India , Gambhir gave a rousing speech to his team-mates after their dismal performance with the bat. 

In a column written for the Hindustan Times, Gambhir reflected upon his mind-set before the start of RCB's innings on Sunday. The Delhi lad was left fuming after his team's poor showing with the bat and even a cold shower couldn't cool him down. 

"As the innings break was nearing the end I got the entire team together. I started speaking and let go of all I had. I wanted intensity from my teammates. I wanted them to fight. I wanted them to win," wrote Gambhir. 
The 35-year-old then went on to reveal a serious threat made by him to his mates at that time. "I told them whoever dropped on intent should understand that this could be his last game for KKR, at least in my captaincy." 

Gambhir also remembered how his team-mates were "shocked and surprised" after his emotional pitch to them. He revealed how he had always been a relaxed skipper at KKR and had never imposed himself. 

"I thought that we were not taking enough pride. I am happy to lose spots on the IPL Fairplay award list but I can not see my team slipping on the points table," he wrote. 

Source :

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

His passion for game was never in question. Two world cup finals and he delivered. 

His passion was never the same after 2011 WC. At a time when our fab 4 was in terminal decline and we were getting our behinds whooped all the time, he should have stepped up and taken charge as a senior player with an outstanding resume. He was only 30 years old in 2011 and that is when a batsman is in his peak years. In stead he became a whingeing, bitter,negative person who played like a coward against the pacers in Eng 2011/14, Aus 2012. He was a lost investment for  Team India, who became a pale shadow of a once great batsman and deserted the team when it was going through hell in all the tough overseas assignments. 

I am not a Gambo hater, he was one of my favorite batsmen during our golden run in 2007-11 and I skipped school to watch him save the match in Napier :p:. Just that I am very disappointed with how his career panned out. Watching him so passionate in IPL makes me :wall: because we needed that passion from him in international matches. 

13 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Best captain but it is funny that the article dude compared it to Chak De India, lol, keep bolly flick out of this just because SRK is the owner. 

Never underestimate the power of click-bait. I have increased 5 posts (even if senseless) on this thread using Dhoni as click bait. :eyedance:

20 hours ago, Gollum said:

His passion was never the same after 2011 WC. At a time when our fab 4 was in terminal decline and we were getting our behinds whooped all the time, he should have stepped up and taken charge as a senior player with an outstanding resume. He was only 30 years old in 2011 and that is when a batsman is in his peak years. In stead he became a whingeing, bitter,negative person who played like a coward against the pacers in Eng 2011/14, Aus 2012. He was a lost investment for  Team India, who became a pale shadow of a once great batsman and deserted the team when it was going through hell in all the tough overseas assignments. 

I am not a Gambo hater, he was one of my favorite batsmen during our golden run in 2007-11 and I skipped school to watch him save the match in Napier :p:. Just that I am very disappointed with how his career panned out. Watching him so passionate in IPL makes me :wall: because we needed that passion from him in international matches. 

He did well in ODIs though in Australia 2012. Missed a century due to run out. Then came the Dhoni policy of not playing 3 oldies viz., Sachin, Sehwag and Gambhir together in playing XI. Now Sachin being God couldn't be rotated. So rotation was done between Sehwag and Gambhir. There began the downfall of Gambhir and Sehwag from where the two could never come back. I wonder if that policy of Dhoni had anything to do with their downfall. It might not be possible to perform with this fear, despite being a senior member, at the back of your mind that your fitness is always under scrutiny and you might be dropped anytime.