All news about IPL

SachDan

IPL signs US$50 million deal for title sponsorship rights Cricinfo staff February 13, 2008 333213.jpgThe DLF Indian Premier League is all set to roll © AFP After raking in over US$723.59 million in the auction for city-based franchises, the Indian Premier League announced the signing of a Rs 200 crore (approximately US$50m) deal for the title sponsorship rights for the next five years.The bid for the rights was won by DLF Ltd, one of India's leading real estate developers, and the tournament will be known as the DLF Indian Premier League. DLF narrowly edged out the World Sports Group (WSG), who were bidding on behalf of the motorcycle company Hero Honda Motors (India) Ltd, Percept D'Mark and 21st Century Media. Incidentally, it was the consortium of India's Sony Television network and the Singapore-based WSG that secured the television rights for ten years at a cost of more than US$1 billion. "The title sponsorship race was tightly contested between three participants, with DLF emerging the final winner through a fair and transparent process," Lalit Modi, the IPL chairman and commissioner, said. "We had a minimum bid price of 125 crore (around US$31.5m). We are very happy with the bid we got. "I am truly happy to have India's leading real estate developer DLF as our title sponsors as they happen to share a common vision with the BCCI to make the Indian Premier League, one of finest cricketing leagues in the world. "It is exciting to have an eclectic mix of elite Indian businessmen, Bollywood personalities and corporates as our allies, working collectively as one to ensure the success of the IPL. On behalf of the IPL governing council." The focus will now be on the player auctions scheduled for February 20, with the eight franchises fighting it out over a player pool that includes more than 80 international cricketers who have already signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The minimum bidding amount for a pool of contracted players in each franchise team has been fixed at US$3m and the maximum cap at US$5m. The IPL has already bracketed Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh and Rahul Dravid as icon players, making them unavailable for any other side other than their city teams. There have been concerns over the participation of Australian players in the tournament, with Cricket Australia having expressed reservations over sponsor protection. However, Australian players such as Andrew Symonds and Ricky Ponting are high on the wishlist of several franchises. The inaugural edition of the IPL, which lasts for 44 days, is scheduled to kick off on April 18 and features a 56-game league phase followed by the semi-finals and final in Mumbai. ---------------- DLF IPL? Hmmmm...

Charu Sharma, CEO-designate of the Bangalore franchise, believes public memory is short. "Once Symonds and Ponting are part of your team, and they walk out in the field, you will hear their names chanted from the stands. The backlash in India and Australia was to a particular incident, in a particular match. Everybody has moved on."
Boy , this is Charu Sharma is going places ...

Laxman and Sehwag likely to be given iconic status for IPL The 'Nawab of Najafgarh' seems to have re-found his brand value after a strong comeback into the Test team. Virender Sehwag, who scored a match-saving century in the Adelaide Test, and VVS Laxman are likely to be given 'iconic' status by the Indian Premier League following demands from franchisees. Virender Sehwag, who scored a match-saving century in the Adelaide Test, and VVS Laxman are likely to be given 'iconic' status by the IPL following demands."The owners of the Delhi (GMR) and Hyderabad (Deccan Chronicle) teams have demanded that Sehwag and Laxman be made iconic players," IPL Chairman and Commissioner Lalit Modi told reporters on Saturday. "Their request will now be sent to the IPL governing body for approval and, since this was not the case when the bids for franchises were made, we have to sit with the franchisees and discuss it before making a final decision. The final decision will be made before the player auction." The player auction is to be held on February 20 in Mumbai and would be an open one. "We changed our earlier stand of having it as a closed bid auction after the owners voted 7-1 for open auction," Modi said. "It would start at 11 am and be a long affair. I hope it finishes in one day," he said. Modi termed as "wrong" media reports that the base-bidding prize for iconic players like Sachin Tendulkar had been fixed at Rs. 1.6 crore ($400,000). "Those figures are wrong. We will let you know the real figures in 4-5 days," he said. The budget cap for buying players from the auction pool for each team has been fixed at $5 million while the minimum payment has to be $3.3 million, Modi said. "The owners are free to spend outside this limit to get local players, Ranji Trophy players and under-22 players," he added. A team should have a minimum of 16 players while there is no upper limit. Each team can buy a maximum of eight overseas players but only four would be able to take the field in a match. All teams must have at least four players from their respective Catchment Areas and four under-22 players. "The players from Catchment Areas could be an iconic player, a Ranji player or an U-22 player," Modi clarified. The players in the auction pool, approximately 80, would be divided into categories A to F of 14 each, based on their skills. "Each category will contain a certain number of marquee players, batsmen, wicketkeepers, all-rounders, spinners etc. This is for the franchisees to know when a player they desire to buy will be up for sale," Modi said. Though February has been decided as the transfer window, no trading would be allowed in the first year. Modi also denied reports that Pakistani speedster Shoaib Akhtar has reneged on his contract. He also confirmed that Mohammad Yusuf, who has a case filed against him in the Mumbai HC, would be among players put up for bidding. "If the court stops (Yusuf from being put on auction), then we will keep him aside," Modi said.

Laxman disappointed for not being included in squad

Yeah' date=' and this time he isn't whining about something ?!!! So surprising that it nearly made me faint[/quote'] Oops, I deliberately did not post the following news....A good reaction by Laxman http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/403200801312023.htm *** Laxman disappointed for not being included in squad *** Hyderabad (PTI): Stylish middle order batsman V V S Laxman on Thursday said he is disappointed for not being included in India's one-day team for the upcoming tri-series in Australia. "I am disappointed that I am not part of the one-day side. But I am looking forward to do well in both forms of the game and whenever the selectors feel that I will fit into the scheme of the things, I will be more than happy to play my role," Laxman told reporters here. "It is a great opportunity for a lot of youngsters to do well. Playing against Australia in Australia is a great challenge," he said. Talking about the recently-concluded Test series against Australia, Laxman said he is disappointed that India lost the series. "Overall, I think the result was a little disappointing. We went with a goal of winning the series but we lost it. It was disappointing. But I am proud with the way we all played there, especially after the Sydney Test, the way we played in Perth and the Adelaide Tests. I think it is very satisfying," he said.

^no' date=' he wasnt...he is just not good enuff to be in NOW...[/quote'] Yes he was. He just refused to learn or change his game according to the situation. He had very limited strokeplay that would fetch him boundaries in the death. In tests, he can get away with cuts, drives and pull. But when you have 5 men near the boundary, these would only get you a single. Plus he wasn't much of a fielder.

He was a horrible ODI player.
theres this misconception that Laxman was a horrible ODI player. dont forget that he had a severe knee injury that unsettled his career. When Laxman was in form he scored big hundreds at brisk strike rates. dont forget what Mohammad Azharuddin said, he said that if that knee injury didnt occur he would be an ODI regular as well as one of the best fielders in the country. So get your facts straight before you make statements like that. I hope Laxman shines in the 20 20 format and knowing his determination his side will take down everybody.

theres this misconception that Laxman was a horrible ODI player. Opinion. An avg of 30 is bad in this decade, for someone who cant field nor bowl. dont forget that he had a severe knee injury that unsettled his career. Is there an handicap quota in the team? When Laxman was in form he scored big hundreds at brisk strike rates. 6 100's in 86 innings. 30 average 70 SR. Its crap for someone who plays within the top 4. dont forget what Mohammad Azharuddin said, he said that if that knee injury didnt occur he would be an ODI regular as well as one of the best fielders in the country. So fking wht? So get your facts straight before you make statements like that. I have the facts. Do you? Get it right next time.Dont spew nonsense without any backing. If it's your opinion, keep your mouth shut when others are talking facts . Just for comparison sake, Kaif, another cricketer who didn't deserve his long career Avg - 32, Sr -72 , 2 100's, 17 50's- Obviously 100's are lower cos he usually bats in # 5/6/7

Laxman was an average ODI player who could score only when the ball was hard and new and field restriction were in place. Now , with the new power play rules , he would have been even more useless coming at No 3. Most captains wouldn't take power play after 10 overs if laxman was batting . The only lofted shot he could play was the pull shot if you consider that as one. Heck , he would even try to play the sheet anchor during the dearth overs...