Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

10 years of IPL. Who has been the best IPL captain till date acc to your????

Best IPL Captain till Date  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been the Best IPL Captain till date Acc to you????

• Dhoni
    • Gambhir
    • Rohit
    • Kohli
    • Warne
    • Warner
    • Gilchrist
    • Kumble
    • Zaheer
    • Dravid
    • Sachin

MS Dhoni-The first Indian captain to win an IPL. Very shrewd and tactically aware while defending scores,especially choking teams with spinners.One of his brilliant moves in IPL was the use of three spinners in IPL 2010 .He made Ashwin open the bowling and that way had the luxury of having two spinners in middle ,ultimately a winning formula.Apart from that,on the whole he believed in the principle of a settled side ,which one can say has paid him rich dividends, CSK won two titles and reached finals many a times.So Dhoni definitely up there as one of the best IPL captains,if not the best.

Gautam Gambhir: After an ordinary season as captain of DD,he moved to KKR as captain and KKR has been a better side since,cant be a co-incidence,its only due to Gauti and the team he has build.He handpicked Narine in 2012 and in general believed in having a strong bowling attack,which has ultimately been the reason of KKR success.One of his strengths is going for horses for courses approach depending on pitches,opponents.

Rohit Sharma: He has been a successful captain so far.Taking control of the team mid way thrugh the season and winning the tournament,cannot be a fluke.This year he has impressed with his captaincy again and once again like MS looks like someone who believes in a settled side.

Gilly: Special mentions to Gilly,wonderful captain and the way he led DC in 2009 was wonderful.He extracted performances from players like Harmeet Singh and made him a 4 overs bowler,commendable effort.

Most overrated captain by far is Shane Warne.

Edited by BCCI

Gambhir closely followed by Dhoni.

Gambhir edges Dhoni imo because he built KKR from scratch after they had some horrendous years, Dhoni right from first season had a good and balanced squad. I also like Gambhir's captaincy on the field. Many times I noticed he goes for slightly aggressive riskier option (with bowlers, field settings) in certain phases of the game where other captains would probably go for slightly safer conventional options.

My pick:

1) Shane Warne          10/10

2) Gautam Gambhir    9.9/10

3) David Warner           4/10

4) M S Dhoni                3.9/10

5)George Bailey.           2/10

Rest don't care.

Note: Captaincy should not be rated based on number of trophies. MS Dhoni got to captain strongest (established International overseas as well as Indian players) team of IPL every season.

The reason I voted Gambhir over Warne though in the polls is his longevity as a captain and still not losing quality.

I don't like Gambhir but I vote for him because of his longetivity as a captain without getting burnt out.

MI and CSK both have good records but they both seem to have unexplained advantages at times owing to money and power which Kkr has not had.

Warner is a good captain too.

Warne's success was beginers luck.

Wondér if he would have been that sucessful had he stayed longer.

Edited by beetle

3 hours ago, Pollack said:

My pick:

1) Shane Warne          10/10

2) Gautam Gambhir    9.9/10

3) David Warner           4/10

4) M S Dhoni                3.9/10

5)George Bailey.           2/10

Rest don't care.

Note: Captaincy should not be rated based on number of trophies. MS Dhoni got to captain strongest (established International overseas as well as Indian players) team of IPL every season.

The reason I voted Gambhir over Warne though in the polls is his longevity as a captain and still not losing quality.

nah ..  covering your base kya :phehe:

now you relaized that you cant change the vote 

2 minutes ago, velu said:

nah ..  covering your base kya :phehe:

now you relaized that you cant change the vote 

Not really. Like I said I really rate Warne's captaincy but gambhir is very very close and to add to that he has longevity. The rating out of 10 did not include longevity and some other parameters. Inclusive of those makes Gambhir clear winner but that doesn't mean Warne would not have been captain for long if he was a bit younger like Gambhir.

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Not really. Like I said I really rate Warne's captaincy but gambhir is very very close and to add to that he has longevity. The rating out of 10 did not include longevity and some other parameters. Inclusive of those makes Gambhir clear winner but that doesn't mean Warne would not have been captain for long if he was a bit younger like Gambhir.

but 3.9/10 is makes me think that you are trying to troll the untrollable guys :hehe:

6 hours ago, beetle said:

I don't like Gambhir but I vote for him because of his longetivity as a captain without getting burnt out.

MI and CSK both have good records but they both seem to have unexplained advantages at times owing to money and power which Kkr has not had.

Warner is a good captain too.

Warne's success was beginers luck.

Wondér if he would have been that sucessful had he stayed longer.

+1

Warne is a bit overrated - deserves credit but not as much as he gets.   

I picked Gambhir but could have picked Dhoni also. Not much difference. Dhoni too played huge role in bringing the best out of unknown players and the then youngsters like Raina, Ashwin, Jadeja etc who went on to become regular fixture in IPl and Indian cricket.

Shane Warne was brilliant also for his time he spent as captain in IPL.

Rohit Sharma too deserves special mention for being a top batsman as captain and leading from the front few years back as he was scoring and taking Mumbai to victories by batting extremely well for his side. Not sure his captaincy was tested a lot though with the squad and management they had, but he as an IPl player was brilliant in those middle years.

Gambhir wins it IMO. Warne and MSD are close seconds. Now, I don't really like GG, but his tactical precision and field placements have been simply outstanding. His bowling choices are accurate most of the time (such as continuing with pace for all 10 overs against RCB this season) and doesn't make useless part-time bowlers bowl the last over (like Rohit Sharma often does with Pollard).  Warne was brilliant as RR captain taking a very mediocre team all the way and MSD (as much as I hate him) has been a pretty good and successful captain (even though he had a great team).

13 hours ago, Unstable Joe said:

Gambhir wins it IMO. Warne and MSD are close seconds. Now, I don't really like GG, but his tactical precision and field placements have been simply outstanding. His bowling choices are accurate most of the time (such as continuing with pace for all 10 overs against RCB this season) and doesn't make useless part-time bowlers bowl the last over (like Rohit Sharma often does with Pollard).  Warne was brilliant as RR captain taking a very mediocre team all the way and MSD (as much as I hate him) has been a pretty good and successful captain (even though he had a great team).

Agree on every word with u 

30 minutes ago, kira said:

If we had gambhir as captain instead of dhoni then we would've had at least 2 more t20 wc in our bag, if not more

May be or may be not

Ultimately a captain is as good as his team. Last 2 wcs were pretty much one man show. 

Gambhir has always been a yuvi fan so dnt expect he wud have not had yuvi in 2014 wc

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

May be or may be not

Ultimately a captain is as good as his team. Last 2 wcs were pretty much one man show. 

Gambhir has always been a yuvi fan so dnt expect he wud have not had yuvi in 2014 wc

It is hilarious and pathetic that people Sh!t on yuvi for that one innings, Yuvi single handedly won a t20 wc for us in 2007,  and still people talk crap about yuvi for that 1 innings he played after returning from cancer yet  the same fans lick dhoni's boots, the same dhoni who has been downright pathetic in t20 internationals as a player, I am not even talking about captaincy, he doesn't deserve a place in the t20 international team as a player, I can accept people criticizing yuvi but if a person Sh!ts on yuvi but is a dhoni fan at the same time then he has no freaking respect in my eyes

22 minutes ago, kira said:

It is hilarious and pathetic that people Sh!t on yuvi for that one innings, Yuvi single handedly won a t20 wc for us in 2007,  and still people talk crap about yuvi for that 1 innings he played after returning from cancer yet  the same fans lick dhoni's boots, the same dhoni who has been downright pathetic in t20 internationals as a player, I am not even talking about captaincy, he doesn't deserve a place in the t20 international team as a player, I can accept people criticizing yuvi but if a person Sh!ts on yuvi but is a dhoni fan at the same time then he has no freaking respect in my eyes

i am a great fan of your cricket acumen :hail:

31 minutes ago, kira said:

I agree. In fact, in the last 2 IPLs, I believe Yuvi actually performed BETTER than MSD. I am not a fan of either and criticize both.

You have some wonder full cricketing acumen :giggle:

1 hour ago, kira said:

1st of he single handely didnt win u t20 wc, he performed in only 2 games in 2007

Gambhir, irfan, rp singh had a lot of contribution as well.......sad part in our country bowlers dnt get credit but rp n irfan deserve as much as yuvi for that WC

I agree dhoni hasnt been a gr8 t20 player n yes time to look forward for t20 format

1 hour ago, Unstable Joe said:

I agree. In fact, in the last 2 IPLs, I believe Yuvi actually performed BETTER than MSD. I am not a fan of either and criticize both.

IPL 2016

Dhoni - Runs 284 Avg 40.57 SR 135.23

Yuvraj - Runs 236  Avg 26.22 SR 131.84

IPL 2015

Dhoni - Runs 372 Avg 31 SR 121.96

Yuvraj - Runs 248  Avg 19.07 SR 118.09

Edited by StriKe

On 4/28/2017 at 8:22 PM, Cricketics said:

I picked Gambhir but could have picked Dhoni also. Not much difference. Dhoni too played huge role in bringing the best out of unknown players and the then youngsters like Raina, Ashwin, Jadeja etc who went on to become regular fixture in IPl and Indian cricket.

Shane Warne was brilliant also for his time he spent as captain in IPL.

Rohit Sharma too deserves special mention for being a top batsman as captain and leading from the front few years back as he was scoring and taking Mumbai to victories by batting extremely well for his side. Not sure his captaincy was tested a lot though with the squad and management they had, but he as an IPl player was brilliant in those middle years.

Tics, your 10000 word analysis is not upto the mark

How can Gambhir be the best captain?

He can't even hit a helicopter shot, the hall mark of a sucessful captain.

He can't even do lungi dance.

Poor choice.