How was life in Bombay in the 80s and 90s?

Gollum

Question to Mumbaikars on ICF, especially those who spent their childhood/adulthood in Bombay(as it was then called) in the late 80s and 90s.

Been reading about underworld in Bombay of late. Looks like Bombay was a proper cesspit those days. So many communal riots, bomb blasts, crimes, open daylight murders, kidnappings, extortion rackets. It seems the dons, ISI agents and crime lords had a grip over the entire city. Bollywood producers, actors, singers, builders, cricketers, socialites, industrialists, policemen all were caught in this menace. It seems like there would be shootouts, gang wars and high profile murders every other day on the streets. Police must have had a tough time then, but again many cops and politicians were hand in gloves with these notorious elements. Also the political climate in India and Maharashtra was in turmoil then.

What did you guys experience those days? Could you venture out of home without any fear, was there curfew like situation then? What was the role of Shiv Sena then? From a few sources it would appear that during those violent times, Bal Thackeray was something like a guardian angel for Bombay citizens and protected them from the criminals. Other sources say that he and Shiv Sena vitiated the atmosphere there leading to even more communal tension. Also Sharad Pawar it seems was a facilitator for the dons and had good relations even with Dawood.

And what has led to the change in today's Mumbai. It seems like those dark days are well and truly over and Mumbai is a much safer place to live in today. What were the main reasons for this turnaround?

It would be nice to get answers from Mumbaikars with first hand experience but others are welcome to chip in and offer their two cents.

Way exaggerated, bombay those days had charming nights, cooler breeze and breathing space. The bhai giri nonsense was in 90s, the filu khan National college murder happened like 2 mins b4 me. 50 bucks or a rum qtr was the proper bribe for the pandu if caught under DUI or loud music

Rich were always snob, clubs were no stags, bombay had its original crowd - now its way too multicultural

It was great in 80s & 90s in Bombay.That time there were no flyovers, only phataks. The phataks had its charm.

My childhood went in playing cricket in small grounds. There was lots of competition to grab the pitch as there were lots of boys & ground was small.

There was bhaigiri, but they were not giving trouble to normal people.It was safe & anybody can venture out safety at any time.

The most important thing was every festival was celebrated ,navratri,ganpati,diwali,gokulasthami & it was fun to take part in them.

Best of times, worst of times.:wp4:

I was in Bombay til 1993, was an amazing place to grow up.   Very different compared to say, Gujarat, where I have relatives and would visit frequently.  When I go back to Bombay today, the place has changed so much, and seems to change every visit.   Still has that old heart within, but things change.  Not all change is bad though.  

I was too young during the riots and bombings - for me the impact was extended school and college closings for weeks at a stretch, which meant hours of cricket time daily - almost like summer vacation, but in better weather.   The part of Bombay I was in, didn't experience any of the riots first-hand, but I remember the concern around the neighborhoods, and building gates were locked at night for a period of time - by the "entrance" to the stairs.   And the young guys in their 20s and 30s in the neighborhoods started talking about stashing 'weapons' like cricket bats, hockey sticks etc on the terrace for a worst case scenario.    

To be honest, given that I was young and lived quite a sheltered life, can't really comment on the societal issues that OP brings up, I will always look back at that time with rose-tinted nostalgia.   

Oh, and it will always be Bombay for me.   I don't care who or what says anything about it.  

4 hours ago, tweaker said:

It was great in 80s & 90s in Bombay.That time there were no flyovers, only phataks. The phataks had its charm.

My childhood went in playing cricket in small grounds. There was lots of competition to grab the pitch as there were lots of boys & ground was small.

There was bhaigiri, but they were not giving trouble to normal people.It was safe & anybody can venture out safety at any time.

The most important thing was every festival was celebrated ,navratri,ganpati,diwali,gokulasthami & it was fun to take part in them.

Nice.  I was lucky enough to have a decent cricket ground, literally across from my building.  Hardly ever had problems finding space to play.  Banjo they converted it into a joggers park now, with a friking water fountain smack in the middle.  Regardless, Dad sold our place 15 years ago anyway, so it doesn't matter.   I wish I had the cash to buy it from him back then, would have quintupled the money easy.  

memorable days......as someone who grew up in Mumbai in the 90's...I still remember seeing the smoke come from either Air India/BSE during our P.T period and all of us wondering what the hell happened.

School was off during the communal riots and we would play cricket in our apartments.

Going to YMCA to play basketball in the evenings instead of sitting in front of the computer

just randomly roaming through Fashion street or flora fountain where they used to sell smuggled goods-No malls etc

the street food chaat,vaada pavs,kebabs instead of all teh Mcdonalds,kfc ETC

roaming through colaba causeway instead of these big malls That have probably popped up etc

saving up money to buy debonair mags near church gate station :p: 

Just now, Yoda-esque said:

There was more of a Marathi/Gujju/Parsi vibe to the city earlier....

I grew up in South Mumbai and got by throughout without speaking any Marathi...not saying it is a great accomplishment but pointing out that some areas of Mumbai never had that vibe.

Parsi Vibe? I am sure it is still there in areas like Colaba...I mean most parsis were living in communities anyway like eg; Cusrow Baug etc.

South Mumbai old money charm was something else.... people from the western suburbs who went to South Mumbai most often feel in awe of the money that was there once upon a time. These days western subarbs, Mumbai central and Powai have all grown by leaps and bounds in terms of wealth and affluence  and one does not feel that " gareeb" not living in South Mumbai. 

I was a very young school kid back then..but the building society culture in the 90s was awesome With the unity and normal nok-jok 

Those were times of great unity when most of the society's and buildings were only upto 6-8 Floors max. Tons of Chawls in Mumbai back then. 

All this has disappeared with the new high rises and cultural change to a more private life has slowly wiped out the society culture of the old times.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I grew up in South Mumbai and got by throughout without speaking any Marathi...not saying it is a great accomplishment but pointing out that some areas of Mumbai never had that vibe.

Parsi Vibe? I am sure it is still there in areas like Colaba...I mean most parsis were living in communities anyway like eg; Cusrow Baug etc.

You probably didn't see Mumbai much tthen..South Mumbai is not Mumbai

3 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

South Mumbai old money charm was something else.... people from the western suburbs who went to South Mumbai most often feel in awe of the money that was there once upon a time. These days western subarbs, Mumbai central and Powai have all grown by leaps and bounds in terms of wealth and affluence  and one does not feel that " gareeb" not living in South Mumbai. 

I was a very young school kid back then..but the building society culture in the 90s was awesome With the unity and normal nok-jok 

Those were times of great unity when most of the society's and buildings were only upto 6-8 Floors max. Tons of Chawls in Mumbai back then. 

All this has disappeared with the new high rises and cultural change to a more private life has slowly wiped out the society culture of the old times.

That's pretty much the case everywhere now including the villages. Sad really

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Really guys, there's no difference between underworld controlled Bombay of 90s and today's Mumbai?

Huge difference

They have all fled and gone into hiding - either in gulf or south east asia ( malaysia/indonesia). they hold benaami properties in mumbai though - alot of which the govt has sealed.

4 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Huge difference

They have all fled and gone into hiding - either in gulf or south east asia ( malaysia/indonesia). they hold benaami properties in mumbai though - alot of which the govt has sealed.

You forgot the hellhole next door aka pakistan #TerroristState

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Really guys, there's no difference between underworld controlled Bombay of 90s and today's Mumbai?

For common man in Bombay, under world was just in movies.. not in reality.

Growing up in late 80s and 90s in Bombay was the best thing happened in my life.. Globalization didnt happen at that time.. Population wasnt that bad.. Eating at restaurant was an EVENT.. Eating Pizza was something to be talk about with friends.. Playing cricket all day long during summer, and then football in monsoon.. Sheild cricket matches formed friendships among strangers, Innocent flirting with Pretty Girls in neighborhoods formed memories.. Golden days..

The only time there were some fear was during 92.. and that too for may be a month max.. I remember muslims changing their name plates to hindu names.. and us (dad and his friends) patrolling society buildings at night.. but other than that we lived free as a bird life in Bombay..

As rajiv said, Bombay had breathing space back then.. now its just too crowded, too hot, too polluted, too much constructions, parking places took over play area in bombay buildings.. ...Watching old Bombay streets in movies like Anand, Manzil, Muqadar Ka Sikandar makes my heart cry a lil bit.. that life is gone.. Globalization and Extremist taking over now..

I have never visited Mumbai. Been to all metros and lived in Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata and Hyderabad for extended periods of time. Hope to visit Mumbai one day, may be catch a glimpse outside Sachin the GOAT's bungalow :wp2:.