Stoke's knock vs Tripathii's knock

vvvslaxman

Stokes came in at 10/3 and resurrected and also took care of the acceleration with little or no support. Pretty much the same was done by Tripathi today.

Stokes was up against Thampi, Sangwan, Soni, Jadeja.  Tripathi was up against Umesh, Coulter Nile, Woakes, Narine, Kuldeep.  Stokes has vast experience. Tripthy no experience. How would you compare these two?

I would rate Stokes' knock higher for two reasons...

1. Stokes had to stop batting collapse.

2. Stokes had to chase when the Reqd rate was pretty high.

Tripathi didn't have to worry about wkts falling on the other end as he was an opener and there really wasn't any real danger of Pune being bowled out at any stage. Secondly Reqd run rate was always manageable. But it was great to see an unheralded domestic player play such a wonderful knock :agree: 

5 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I would rate Stokes' knock higher for two reasons...

1. Stokes had to stop batting collapse.

2. Stokes had to chase when the Reqd rate was pretty high.

Tripathi didn't have to worry about wkts falling on the other end as he was an opener and there really wasn't any real danger of Pune being bowled out at any stage. Secondly Reqd run rate was always manageable. But it was great to see an unheralded domestic player play such a wonderful knock :agree: 

KKR had a better, more experienced bowling unit. ALso, he didnt have to face high RRR because he himself kept teams RR high. Check the RR of other batsmen. he kept the RR up all throughout by himself very much like Stokes did.

1 hour ago, sourab10forever said:

Stokes for only one reason.

Dhoni played a blinder 27(33 ) in the same match. So he had to cover up more . Whereas Dhoni played only a 7(11) during tripathi's knock which is so-so. Wasn't in full mood I guess.

for stokes it was only Dhoni. For Tripathi, there were several Dhonis who played like that under 100 SR.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

KKR had a better, more experienced bowling unit. ALso, he didnt have to face high RRR because he himself kept teams RR high. Check the RR of other batsmen. he kept the RR up all throughout by himself very much like Stokes did.

But stokes came in when the team was in dire straits and he knew his wicket would be game over. Tripathi OTOH had the luxury of not really caring about wkts or RR since his role is to get quick runs up the order and even he had gotten out his team would've been the favorites to win. Based on circumstances I would rate Stokes' knock higher but it was great to see a young domestic batsman playing such a good knock.

2 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

But stokes came in when the team was in dire straits and he knew his wicket would be game over. Tripathi OTOH had the luxury of not really caring about wkts or RR since his role is to get quick runs up the order and even he had gotten out his team would've been the favorites to win. Based on circumstances I would rate Stokes' knock higher but it was great to see a young domestic batsman playing such a good knock.

+1

Also, we have to look into the fact that Stokes did not get to score many runs during the powerplays like Tripathi did.  After the powerplay, most of the runs that Tripathi scored came off Kuldeep yadav's bowling through some lusty blows for sixers.  Well I am not saying it is anyway less as Stokes scored off Jadeja too but Stokes had to score runs against every other bowler too whereas Tripathi did not score so much off others (especially Woakes and Yadav) beyond the powerplay overs. 

14 minutes ago, kira said:

Stokes not only had to play against the opposition but also against his teammate dhoni, so stokes win this 

That actually was a factor in favor of Stokes... he had the luxury of a cool and calm Dhoni guiding him on his path to victory :agree: 

2 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

That actually was a factor in favor of Stokes... he had the luxury of a cool and calm Dhoni guiding him on his path to victory :agree: 

For a yuvi hater, you sure are blind to you hypocrisy, aren't you? 

46 minutes ago, kira said:

For a yuvi hater, you sure are blind to you hypocrisy, aren't you? 

Not at all. I don't hate any player. I like Gambhir just how I used to like Yuvi but I wouldn't want him to be in the Indian team as well similar to Yuvi. I've already stated Dhoni should not be part of T20Is anymore and somebody like Pant should take over ASAP.

For odis there's no better option at the moment thanks to our selectors sleeping at the wheel. I would've preferred selectors to have blooded a wkt keeper batsman (preferably Pant) so he could take over but didn't happen.

Yuvi is a middle order batsman and we have options to replace him already in Manish Pandey, KL Rahul, Kedar jadhav etc. but Dhoni is a wkt keeper batsman. We have replacement for him in T20Is in Pant but odis is a different ball game altogether. I haven't seen any other wkt keeper batsman who has proved they are there yet in odis. Pant needs to be played in T20Is ASAP and in bi-lateral odis along with Dhoni so that he is in a position to take over by 2019 WC.

See I don't really care for a player. Only what's best for team India. As soon as Pant is ready to take over in odis as well, I would back him to take over.

Edited by Ultimate_Game