NHL Thread

bleaf27

Hey guys,  any NHL fans out here ?   I'm from Toronto so needless to say quite a big Maple Leafs fan !   Even though we are done for the season , the future certainly looks bright with all the youngsters coming in !

Anyone else following the playoffs , which team are you guys rooting for ?

Didn't see any other NHL thread so hopefully hockey fans will come in droves to discuss here !

Go leafs go !

me. 

I am from Vancouver, so i am a Canucks fan. Only four teams i cannot stand/support in the NHL : Toronto, Pittsburg, LA and Edmonton.

Otherwise i root for Canadian teams, Washington (Ovie is too good to not win a cup) and Florida (Jagr is a living legend).

Hoping Ottawa or Nashville wins the cup.

Haha ofcourse man , Canucks and Leafs never liked each other much which is surprising because we aren't even in the same conference.

I can't stand Montreal . well to be fair ,  Leafs and Habs have quite a distinguished rivalry going all the way back to the original 6

Canucks fanbase has quite a reputation eh , were you a part of the riots ?

For this season I am rooting for Nashville -  I would have loved for Weber to be there but I loved Pekka so I really want them to grab it 

3 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Haha ofcourse man , Canucks and Leafs never liked each other much which is surprising because we aren't even in the same conference.

I can't stand Montreal . well to be fair ,  Leafs and Habs have quite a distinguished rivalry going all the way back to the original 6

Canucks fans, much like most western team fans, hate Toronto, because of TSN's 'Toronto = centre of the universe' media coverage and slanted commentary. And the fact that Toronto has been such a crap team since before we were even born, yet overhypes every single new player.

I still remember Vancouver 'choking' in Game 6 of Stanley Cup finals vs Boston and the TSN ripping our team up- calling the Sedins no good, etc etc. But a year or two later, when Toronto pulled the mother of all Chokes to the same Boston team, blowing a 5-2 3rd period lead in game 7 to lose 7-5 or 6-5 or something, they fluffed it off as 'bad luck'.

Most NHL fans i've met hate Toronto for this reason and hate Edmonton & Pittsburg for 'working the system', i.e., cheating, to tank and get generational players. 

Canucks fanbase has quite a reputation eh , were you a part of the riots ?

For this season I am rooting for Nashville -  I would have loved for Weber to be there but I loved Pekka so I really want them to grab it 

Haha, i ran away from downtown pretty much 10 minutes before the riots began. Heard about the riots on the train on my way home.

And yeah, Nashville is an easy team to root for. Excellent players, excellent manners, good fans, etc.

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Canucks fans, much like most western team fans, hate Toronto, because of TSN's 'Toronto = centre of the universe' media coverage and slanted commentary. And the fact that Toronto has been such a crap team since before we were even born, yet overhypes every single new player.

I still remember Vancouver 'choking' in Game 6 of Stanley Cup finals vs Boston and the TSN ripping our team up- calling the Sedins no good, etc etc. But a year or two later, when Toronto pulled the mother of all Chokes to the same Boston team, blowing a 5-2 3rd period lead in game 7 to lose 7-5 or 6-5 or something, they fluffed it off as 'bad luck'.

Most NHL fans i've met hate Toronto for this reason and hate Edmonton & Pittsburg for 'working the system', i.e., cheating, to tank and get generational players. 

Haha, i ran away from downtown pretty much 10 minutes before the riots began. Heard about the riots on the train on my way home.

And yeah, Nashville is an easy team to root for. Excellent players, excellent manners, good fans, etc.

Well tbf , Toronto is considered the epitome of Hockey universe ,We are a bunch of passionate fans.   Habs come quite close to us in terms of that.  HOF is beautiful if you ever come down to Tdot to definitely check it out.   Well 2000s weren't good for us barring 2002 I still remeber that series against the sens quite well.  But 2000s - Burke era put us down even further and some horrible trades - Kessel and Rask - put us all the way to the bottom but finally things look much much better in Toronto  - Auston Matthews , Nylander , Marner are the key pieces to build around 

Yeah our choke was quite bad too, 2013 - I was in the UK watching the game ar like 3 in the morning and yeah next day wasn't pretty  - bunch of us Canadians saw it together. 

Nah , I got nothing against Pitts -  Kessel is there now and that guy played well for us so no complaints - Edmonton more than anything has won the draft numerous times but they just cant put a system in place. 

22 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Well tbf , Toronto is considered the epitome of Hockey universe ,We are a bunch of passionate fans.   Habs come quite close to us in terms of that.  HOF is beautiful if you ever come down to Tdot to definitely check it out.   Well 2000s weren't good for us barring 2002 I still remeber that series against the sens quite well.  But 2000s - Burke era put us down even further and some horrible trades - Kessel and Rask - put us all the way to the bottom but finally things look much much better in Toronto  - Auston Matthews , Nylander , Marner are the key pieces to build around 

Yeah our choke was quite bad too, 2013 - I was in the UK watching the game ar like 3 in the morning and yeah next day wasn't pretty  - bunch of us Canadians saw it together. 

Nah , I got nothing against Pitts -  Kessel is there now and that guy played well for us so no complaints - Edmonton more than anything has won the draft numerous times but they just cant put a system in place. 

Yes, but when you get biassed coverage and fans who ALWAYS think the Leafs are 100x better than they are, they will be the most hated team outside of their own back yard. This is why TML is the most hated team all across Canada. Coz the media blanks out our games to give precedence to yours, overhypes Toronto, refuses to criticize their boneheaded management, etc. 

I became anti-Toronto when i lived in Kingston many moons ago and despite being WAY closer to Ottawa, they'd blank out the Senators games (when Senators were MUCH superior to the leafs) to show the Leafs getting pasted every single time. 

Pittsburg cheated to get Crosby. Back then, worst team was guaranteed #1 draft spot and Pittsburg lost 19 of the last 20 games or something incredible like that, to make sure they got Crosby. 

I just cant stand teams that cheat the system to build their teams or get treated by kid gloves by the media. 
And LA is just a team of thugs, so no love for them either.

55 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Yes, but when you get biassed coverage and fans who ALWAYS think the Leafs are 100x better than they are, they will be the most hated team outside of their own back yard. This is why TML is the most hated team all across Canada. Coz the media blanks out our games to give precedence to yours, overhypes Toronto, refuses to criticize their boneheaded management, etc. 

I became anti-Toronto when i lived in Kingston many moons ago and despite being WAY closer to Ottawa, they'd blank out the Senators games (when Senators were MUCH superior to the leafs) to show the Leafs getting pasted every single time. 

Pittsburg cheated to get Crosby. Back then, worst team was guaranteed #1 draft spot and Pittsburg lost 19 of the last 20 games or something incredible like that, to make sure they got Crosby. 

I just cant stand teams that cheat the system to build their teams or get treated by kid gloves by the media. 
And LA is just a team of thugs, so no love for them either.

You cannot compare buisness decisions against a team - considering the following Toronto has and the historical franchise that it is ,  You cannot blame the broadcasters to cover the area where the team has fans and TML does have a fan base not just all over Canada but all over the world.  I work in Ottawa and I'v seen more leaf fans here than the sens.   I was in the UK for couple years and the only reach NHL has over the pond is because of the leafs.  Walking into a sportsdirect and seeing a TML hat from the whole NHL was something to be proud of. 

Considering  the size of the fanbase Toronto has , there will be fans who would be over the top - It's similar to the Indian Cricket team - with a billion fans - your chances of having fans which may quite too passionate is ofcourse higher. 

2000s weren't the best for the leafs but it has a passionate fan base and they deserve much better than they have and finally they seem to be on the right track.   TML has got an amazing management team led by Lou and Shanahan and with Babcock they certainly what they are doing.  Burke era is done - we have more draft picks than we've had , cap space that we always struggled with and unloaded some awful contracts -  lupul isn't coming back , Phaneuf wasn't winning with us and Clarkson and Kessel were offloaded.    With young kids in the lineup , TML took the caps to game 5 when they were expected to be swept away.

Pens did tank to land Crosby , everyone knows that.   Don't know if the lottery was rigged.  I'm sure Mario would have had a say in it if it indeed was rigged.

I think Van missed the sweet time to get the Sedins to be shipped away - Not sure what their plan is by keeping the sisters together. 

Nashville is beasting right now.   I really hope the Caps go over the pens 

4 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

You cannot compare buisness decisions against a team - considering the following Toronto has and the historical franchise that it is ,  You cannot blame the broadcasters to cover the area where the team has fans and TML does have a fan base not just all over Canada but all over the world.

The Sens game blackout prevailed, despite a petition to CBC from over 5K people in Kingston that they prefer to watch Ottawa. As i said, Kingston was in Ottawa's 'catchment zone'.

Considering  the size of the fanbase Toronto has , there will be fans who would be over the top - It's similar to the Indian Cricket team - with a billion fans - your chances of having fans which may quite too passionate is ofcourse higher. 

Yes, but unlike TML fans, the entire Indian cricket fanbase doesn't go into the 'we are the best team' mode all the time. Note, TML has won nothing in almost 50 years. The leaf fans are like Aussie fans- not just fans, but flat-out obnoxious and obsessed with their 2nd-best all-time status after Montreal, despite having done nothing in the last 50 years. Hence they are the most hated team all across Canada. 

Pens did tank to land Crosby , everyone knows that.   Don't know if the lottery was rigged.  I'm sure Mario would have had a say in it if it indeed was rigged.

There was no lottery before 2009 or 2010.

Last team automatically got #1 pick.

I think Van missed the sweet time to get the Sedins to be shipped away - Not sure what their plan is by keeping the sisters together. 

Sisters ? Sorry, but they are tougher cookie than anyone in Toronto right now. They are also better bang-for-your-buck than Crosby or Ovechkin at their peaks.

Just because they don't throw punches, doesn't mean they are soft. The Sedins want to retire here. And the Canucks are fine with that. 

24 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

The Sens game blackout prevailed, despite a petition to CBC from over 5K people in Kingston that they prefer to watch Ottawa. As i said, Kingston was in Ottawa's 'catchment zone'.

Yes, but unlike TML fans, the entire Indian cricket fanbase doesn't go into the 'we are the best team' mode all the time. Note, TML has won nothing in almost 50 years. The leaf fans are like Aussie fans- not just fans, but flat-out obnoxious and obsessed with their 2nd-best all-time status after Montreal, despite having done nothing in the last 50 years. Hence they are the most hated team all across Canada. 

There was no lottery before 2009 or 2010.

Last team automatically got #1 pick.

Sisters ? Sorry, but they are tougher cookie than anyone in Toronto right now. They are also better bang-for-your-buck than Crosby or Ovechkin at their peaks.

Just because they don't throw punches, doesn't mean they are soft. The Sedins want to retire here. And the Canucks are fine with that. 

I'd disagree with couple of things  -  Kingston certainly isn't Ottawa fanbase , heck even Brockville and Nepean isn't let alone Kingston. The whole golden horseshoe - Barring the original Sens ,  the current Sens is a 1992 onwards team and you cannot compare them to an original 6 franchise.    A petition of over 5k even in Kingston due to really think is worth choosing Sens broadcast over Leafs ?

Secondly, You cannot paint the whole fanbase of millions of a franchsie with the same brush.   The Indian cricket team fans are quite parallel to TML in many ways actually -  Leaf fans are quite knowledgeable - most of the leaf fans that I grew up with or know do realize that we aren't the best team however our passion and support of our tram can be misjudged as being "obnoxious" then we aren't to blame for it.  Canucks rioting over a lost series is what you'd term as obnoxious mate , When was the last time Toronto rioted over a lost series , not even in 2013. 

Yes there was draft lottery before 2009 -   For 2005 -

"The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers."

I am sorry but you must be quite skewed in your perception if you ever think that the sisters are any definition of toughness.  They never were - How many times have they turtled ?   The fact that they held Cancuks hostage to sign them together and always played quite soft -  anyone except canucks fan wouldn't see it any other way.   Also,  they are past their prime and  No one would sign them both with such conrtacts.   No one is paying 8 mill for them .   And as for the leafs -  Martin and Komarov both would be up there in terms of playing tough 

Edited by bleaf27

50 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

I'd disagree with couple of things  -  Kingston certainly isn't Ottawa fanbase , heck even Brockville and Nepean isn't let alone Kingston. The whole golden horseshoe - Barring the original Sens ,  the current Sens is a 1992 onwards team and you cannot compare them to an original 6 franchise.    A petition of over 5k even in Kingston due to really think is worth choosing Sens broadcast over Leafs ?

I still visit Kingston and i still see Kingstonians support the Sens more than Toronto. It doesnt matter if you are original 6 or a new franchise. People want to watch their favourite teams more and the whole Kingston-Gananoque-Perth etc. are Ottawa fanbase. 

Secondly, You cannot paint the whole fanbase of millions of a franchsie with the same brush.   The Indian cricket team fans are quite parallel to TML in many ways actually -  Leaf fans are quite knowledgeable - most of the leaf fans that I grew up with or know do realize that we aren't the best team however our passion and support of our tram can be misjudged as being "obnoxious" then we aren't to blame for it.  Canucks rioting over a lost series is what you'd term as obnoxious mate , When was the last time Toronto rioted over a lost series , not even in 2013. 

To me TML fans = Aussie cricket fans. Overly boisterous, rude and full of themselves. 

As for rioting- let Toronto get to a cup final and then we'll talk. 

I am sorry but you must be quite skewed in your perception if you ever think that the sisters are any definition of toughness.  

Because they are titanium-clad. You realize, the Sedins hardly miss any games and except for Daniel's concussion due to a flying elbow from Duncan Keith and Henrik's broken foot, the Sedins play 82 games a year, every year practically. That is tough. Like i said, just because they are not dirty players, doesn't mean they are not tough. They are tougher than any Leaf i've ever seen and I've seen Wendell Clarke play in his pomp too.

The fact that they held Cancuks hostage to sign them together and always played quite soft -  anyone except canucks fan wouldn't see it any other way.

Err, they are twins- obviously they wanna play together, since they've done it since age 5. You realize, they are the cheapest Art Ross trophy winners since Mario Lemeuix won it almost 20 years ago ? 
They've always settled for less money than players half their worth. And yes, 7 million is overpayment for two of their 5 year contracts(remains to be seen for the next year) but they've already indicated, like true gentlemen and loyal players, they will take a pay cut to play in Vancouver if the team still wants them. Otherwise, they are retiring. At some point, every player is overpaid but for the Sedins, they spent most of their careers underpaid, as they are the embodiment of team players.

And as for the leafs -  Martin and Komarov both would be up there in terms of playing tough 

Don't kid yourself. I've never seen a Leaf as tough as the Sedins. Not even grand-daddy of the leafs nation, aka Wendell Clarke. Henrik Sedin had the longest iron-man streak in NHL in the mid 2000s. He's played every single game for 10 of his 15 seasons.  of the 5 seasons he's played less than 100% of the game, in all but 1 (the season he broke his foot), he played 70 or more games. 
Daniel Sedin is slightly less durable (understandable, since he is a winger) but even he is an iron-man compared to ANY leaf ever in history of the sport: he's played a full season no less than 8 times, with 1 time he missing only 1 game the entire season, 4 times 70+ games and only twice did he fail to reach 70 games. 
That is tough as nails and as big a bang for your buck as you can get. 

13 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I still visit Kingston and i still see Kingstonians support the Sens more than Toronto. It doesnt matter if you are original 6 or a new franchise. People want to watch their favourite teams more and the whole Kingston-Gananoque-Perth etc. are Ottawa fanbase. 

To me TML fans = Aussie cricket fans. Overly boisterous, rude and full of themselves. 

Because they are titanium-clad. You realize, the Sedins hardly miss any games and except for Daniel's concussion due to a flying elbow from Duncan Keith and Henrik's broken foot, the Sedins play 82 games a year, every year practically. That is tough. Like i said, just because they are not dirty players, doesn't mean they are not tough. They are tougher than any Leaf i've ever seen and I've seen Wendell Clarke play in his pomp too.

Err, they are twins- obviously they wanna play together, since they've done it since age 5. You realize, they are the cheapest Art Ross trophy winners since Mario Lemeuix won it almost 20 years ago ? 
They've always settled for less money than players half their worth. And yes, 7 million is overpayment for two of their 5 year contracts(remains to be seen for the next year) but they've already indicated, like true gentlemen and loyal players, they will take a pay cut to play in Vancouver if the team still wants them. Otherwise, they are retiring. At some point, every player is overpaid but for the Sedins, they spent most of their careers underpaid, as they are the embodiment of team players.

Don't kid yourself. I've never seen a Leaf as tough as the Sedins. Not even grand-daddy of the leafs nation, aka Wendell Clarke. Henrik Sedin had the longest iron-man streak in NHL in the mid 2000s. He's played every single game for 10 of his 15 seasons.  of the 5 seasons he's played less than 100% of the game, in all but 1 (the season he broke his foot), he played 70 or more games. 
Daniel Sedin is slightly less durable (understandable, since he is a winger) but even he is an iron-man compared to ANY leaf ever in history of the sport: he's played a full season no less than 8 times, with 1 time he missing only 1 game the entire season, 4 times 70+ games and only twice did he fail to reach 70 games. 

I still visit Kingston and i still see Kingstonians support the Sens more than Toronto. It doesnt matter if you are original 6 or a new franchise. People want to watch their favourite teams more and the whole Kingston-Gananoque-Perth etc. are Ottawa fanbase

I work in Ottawa and travel quite a bit in the whole champlain area - Perth , Lanark , Renfrew , Cornwall  and I can tell you quite confidently that Toronto has got a huge following and support here.   In Kingston I still have friends who went to Queens and most of them are from Toronto and moved from SE Ontario and support the leafs.   The Sens following fan following is quite sad within Ottawa , let alone other cities.   2nd round playoff games against NYR were going unsold.    There was a public appeal on TV for fans to go watch their team at the CT centre .    Any home game for sens vs leafs -  Leafs fan outdo the sens fans in numbers and not all of them are travelling down from Toronto.

Again , this is quite subjective and based on your experience only.  I feel the same about Canuck fans and as far as rioting,  despite the 2013 blow up  - there were no cars being burnt or stores being looted down yonge so whether TML fans would stoop to that level is yet to be seen but Canucks fans painted quite a bad picture of themselves. 

Then either you haven't seen much of leafs hockey or you are quite biased.  I'd put some names out for you -  Sundin , Domi , - they have played a much better brand of hockey and not the European diving hockey that Sedins bring , they are quite embarassing.   Sedins are known to embellish and dive and that's the brand of hokcey they play.    I'm sure you haven't forgot the infamous Henrik Sedin getting shot on the ice against blackhawks -  That was an Oscar worthy performance.  and Sedins have had shorter seasons since 2012 , Henrik more than Daniel. They are good bang for buck players no doubt but they will always remain limited as leaders and not the kind of players you can build a franchise around. 

Remains to be seen how much of a pay cut do they actually take ?  and also,  just because they are twins , doesn't necessarily mean they have to be playing together.   The sedins were in their prime until 2011-2012  -    and that's when they grabbed their Art Ross and now they are on the decline and they realize there isn't a big market for any team to take both of them for the price they would be asking so ofcourse its smarter for them to stay where they are.  As for the cheapest Art Ross - That would be Crosby on his entry level contract in 06 and Martin St. louis in 03/04 and 12/13.  

I'v already covered these points above - Sundin, Domi , Belak , Orr played a much more complete and tougher game than Sedin sisters -  Diving , embellishing has never been a part of TML much but Burrows just like the Sedins was highly revered in Vacnouver.  I agree, they are quite good for the price that they come at but some of your statements are quite over reaching. 

39 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

Then either you haven't seen much of leafs hockey or you are quite biased.  I'd put some names out for you -  Sundin , Domi , - they have played a much better brand of hockey and not the European diving hockey that Sedins bring , they are quite embarassing.   Sedins are known to embellish and dive and that's the brand of hokcey they play.    I'm sure you haven't forgot the infamous Henrik Sedin getting shot on the ice against blackhawks -  That was an Oscar worthy performance.  and Sedins have had shorter seasons since 2012 , Henrik more than Daniel. They are good bang for buck players no doubt but they will always remain limited as leaders and not the kind of players you can build a franchise around. 

See- you are proving yourself to be a typical leaf. Hardly see the Sedins play and going by Don Cherry's racist comments. Diving hockey ? Sorry, but Sedins are pretty much impossible to shake off the puck. They almost never fall down and most penalties against them come from hooking and slashing. In the finals, we had Brad Marchand's stick firmly lodged between Sedins helmet and visor (of course, no call), they still went about their business. 
Like i said, they are better than ANY leaf player for performance....in like 40 years or so. Only one that comes close, is Sundin. When Sundin played for us, he himself said that the Sedins are better than him.

Remains to be seen how much of a pay cut do they actually take ?  and also,  just because they are twins , doesn't necessarily mean they have to be playing together.   The sedins were in their prime until 2011-2012  -    and that's when they grabbed their Art Ross and now they are on the decline and they realize there isn't a big market for any team to take both of them for the price they would be asking so ofcourse its smarter for them to stay where they are.  As for the cheapest Art Ross - That would be Crosby on his entry level contract in 06 and Martin St. louis in 03/04 and 12/13.  

As for no market for the Sedins- the Sedins have been enquired upon by no less than 12 teams this season. Hence their public statement that they wish to retire here. Yeah, i forgot about St Louis- Sid, doesn't count because he was on an ELC. And ever since then, his art ross came at a much higher price. Either way, the Sedins are by far the best bang for your buck elite forwards in the league since the early 90s, when prices of elite players began to skyrocket.

I'v already covered these points above - Sundin, Domi , Belak , Orr played a much more complete and tougher game than Sedin sisters -  Diving , embellishing has never been a part of TML much but Burrows just like the Sedins was highly revered in Vacnouver.  I agree, they are quite good for the price that they come at but some of your statements are quite over reaching. 

Sedins don't dive. They hardly ever fall down. This is why the Sedins have the highest success rate in zone entry since the lockout. 

This comment is indicative that you don't watch the Sedins and go more by Toronto's biassed and often jealous media more than anything else. 
Domi, Belak - these guys are not worth their salt to be compared to players like Sedins and your comments are a microcosm of why TML fans are public enemy #1 all over Canada, because you just compared a player who is a 4th line Toronto Plug, to two players better than Toronto has had in 40+ years. And except for Sundin, you will struggle to name a leaf player as elite as the Sedins till you go back like 50 years!

The fact that the Sedins are way, way fitter than 99.99% of hockey players and don't go whine to the media or to the refs about countless uncalled penalties against them, makes them some of the toughest players ever. TML for the longest time, especially in the 80s,90s and 2000s, embodied the 'ugly hockey' mentality - goons and more goons, with practically zero skilled players outside of Sundin. 

Bobby Orr never played or you guys and i am not even sure how mentioning Orr- an elite defenceman- in response to the Sedins even makes sense.

Just now, Muloghonto said:

See- you are proving yourself to be a typical leaf. Hardly see the Sedins play and going by Don Cherry's racist comments. Diving hockey ? Sorry, but Sedins are pretty much impossible to shake off the puck. They almost never fall down and most penalties against them come from hooking and slashing. In the finals, we had Brad Marchand's stick firmly lodged between Sedins helmet and visor (of course, no call), they still went about their business. 
Like i said, they are better than ANY leaf player for performance....in like 40 years or so. Only one that comes close, is Sundin. When Sundin played for us, he himself said that the Sedins are better than him.

As for no market for the Sedins- the Sedins have been enquired upon by no less than 12 teams this season. Hence their public statement that they wish to retire here. Yeah, i forgot about St Louis- Sid, doesn't count because he was on an ELC. And ever since then, his art ross came at a much higher price. Either way, the Sedins are by far the best bang for your buck elite forwards in the league since the early 90s, when prices of elite players began to skyrocket.

Sedins don't dive. They hardly ever fall down. This is why the Sedins have the highest success rate in zone entry since the lockout. 

This comment is indicative that you don't watch the Sedins and go more by Toronto's biassed and often jealous media more than anything else. 
Domi, Belak - these guys are not worth their salt to be compared to players like Sedins and your comments are a microcosm of why TML fans are public enemy #1 all over Canada, because you just compared a player who is a 4th line Toronto Plug, to two players better than Toronto has had in 40+ years. And except for Sundin, you will struggle to name a leaf player as elite as the Sedins till you go back like 50 years!

The fact that the Sedins are way, way fitter than 99.99% of hockey players and don't go whine to the media or to the refs about countless uncalled penalties against them, makes them some of the toughest players ever. TML for the longest time, especially in the 80s,90s and 2000s, embodied the 'ugly hockey' mentality - goons and more goons, with practically zero skilled players outside of Sundin. 

Bobby Orr never played or you guys and i am not even sure how mentioning Orr- an elite defenceman- in response to the Sedins even makes sense.

Any views contrary to your views or not appreciating the style of hockey Canucks play isn't being racist.  I am not a Canuck fan and not many people I'v met are - doesn't make us racist or on some sort of tirade against them.   Every hockey fan appreciates a certain style of play and certainly the way Canucks play is not the style many appreciate or like.   I rarely follow the coach's corner so that's quite an accusation.  I am guessing I watch the Sedins more than you do then if you forgot his blatant diving against the Blackhawks - 

And if you actually believe Sedin's come anyway close to Sundin - as a player or a leader then that's quite unfortunate and an alternate reality. 

Sedins are quite good bang for the buck and yeah I am not denying that much.

Another diving    - You must be quite biased for your love for them to not realize how bad they embellish - quite a well known fact around the league. 

Canucks in general   -  Kesler, Burrows - dirtiest players in the game with history of embellishment, diving and playing dirty. 

Tie Domi , Sundin , Tucker, Cujo , Gilmour were more heart and commitment than Sedins ever were.  and regardless of the history -  Vancouver are now stuck with 2 players who are way past their prime,  not winning with Vancouver and any team would be reluctant to give them a huge number together.   Whereas Toronto on the other hand is finally on the upswing after mediocrity so more reasons for the TML fans to look forward rather than count the number of art ross in the past. 

15 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

Any views contrary to your views or not appreciating the style of hockey Canucks play isn't being racist.  I am not a Canuck fan and not many people I'v met are - doesn't make us racist or on some sort of tirade against them.   Every hockey fan appreciates a certain style of play and certainly the way Canucks play is not the style many appreciate or like.   I rarely follow the coach's corner so that's quite an accusation.  I am guessing I watch the Sedins more than you do then if you forgot his blatant diving against the Blackhawks - 

The 'Sedin sisters' comment was from Don Cherry, who went on a racist rant about how European players are soft. That is racist. That is how the word even entered circulation. 

As for your diving accusations - you clearly are a hockey newbie, if you think slashing someone's skates and knees doesn't get them to fall over. 

And if you actually believe Sedin's come anyway close to Sundin - as a player or a leader then that's quite unfortunate and an alternate reality. 

Sedins are quite good bang for the buck and yeah I am not denying that much.

Another diving    - You must be quite biased for your love for them to not realize how bad they embellish - quite a well known fact around the league. 

Canucks in general   -  Kesler, Burrows - dirtiest players in the game with history of embellishment, diving and playing dirty. 

Tie Domi , Sundin , Tucker, Cujo , Gilmour were more heart and commitment than Sedins ever were.  and regardless of the history -  Vancouver are now stuck with 2 players who are way past their prime,  not winning with Vancouver and any team would be reluctant to give them a huge number together.   Whereas Toronto on the other hand is finally on the upswing after mediocrity so more reasons for the TML fans to look forward rather than count the number of art ross in the past. 

Dude, Sundin himself said that the Sedins are better players than he ever was, while he played for us. Henrik Sedin is still the best passer the game has seen since Gretzky and the only one who can regularly pull off saucer passes in this league. 

None of those players you named, are worth tying Sedins' shoelaces - either in terms of toughness or commitment playing through injuries. You don't get to finish entire hockey season with 100% playing record without ability to play through injuries. 

Sedins are 'Sachin Tendulkar' type players - completely nonplussed by the hijinks that surround the game, they are here to play not chat. Their lack of retaliation is similar to Gretzky in their sporting nature and this is why they've finished top 4 in Lady Byng awards every single year between 2006 and 2013.

As for finally on the upswing - first establish yourself as a regular playoff threat like the Canucks were, before getting excited. For now, the dreaded sophomore slump awaits Toronto. And if other teams were not interested in the Sedins, they wouldn't come calling almost a dozen times this year alone. 

There are very few teams that are not 'flawed' in one way or another - the 'super-teams' of the late 90s like Detroit or Colorado, Gretsky's oilers, current Chicago blackhawks and Pittsburg Penguins are the only teams i've seen that have next to no flaws. Canucks flaw always has been lack of secondary scoring (I know like someone who doesn't see the Canucks but goes by biassed Toronto media, you will say 'Kesler' but Kesler got most of his goals and points on the PP with the Sedins). The weakness of TML was lack of elite skill. And now, it'd seem to be ability to play defence. 

Edited by Muloghonto

16 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

The 'Sedin sisters' comment was from Don Cherry, who went on a racist rant about how European players are soft. That is racist. That is how the word even entered circulation. 

As for your diving accusations - you clearly are a hockey newbie, if you think slashing someone's skates and knees doesn't get them to fall over. 

Dude, Sundin himself said that the Sedins are better players than he ever was, while he played for us. Henrik Sedin is still the best passer the game has seen since Gretzky and the only one who can regularly pull off saucer passes in this league. 

None of those players you named, are worth tying Sedins' shoelaces - either in terms of toughness or commitment playing through injuries. You don't get to finish entire hockey season with 100% playing record without ability to play through injuries. 

Sedins are 'Sachin Tendulkar' type players - completely nonplussed by the hijinks that surround the game, they are here to play not chat. Their lack of retaliation is similar to Gretzky in their sporting nature and this is why they've finished top 4 in Lady Byng awards every single year between 2006 and 2013.

As for finally on the upswing - first establish yourself as a regular playoff threat like the Canucks were, before getting excited. For now, the dreaded sophomore slump awaits Toronto. And if other teams were not interested in the Sedins, they wouldn't come calling almost a dozen times this year alone. 

There are very few teams that are not 'flawed' in one way or another - the 'super-teams' of the late 90s like Detroit or Colorado, Gretsky's oilers, current Chicago blackhawks and Pittsburg Penguins are the only teams i've seen that have next to no flaws. Canucks flaw always has been lack of secondary scoring (I know like someone who doesn't see the Canucks but goes by biassed Toronto media, you will say 'Kesler' but Kesler got most of his goals and points on the PP with the Sedins). The weakness of TML was lack of elite skill. And now, it'd seem to be ability to play defence. 

You are quite conceited my friend, or in vain if you've watched those vidoes - only a few from a list of selection  to not realize how embellishement is a part of their game.  I can actually say much more confidently now that I've watched the Sedins play much more than you have.   

1.  First video  -  Henrik falls as if he got shot after a nudge onto the chest !  You'd have to so completely biased so not to see that.  His funny antics were all over the NHL in that series
  2. Second Video -  Ferrence jabs and look at that fall - either you've never played hockey or again quite biased if you actually thought that would make anyone fall down
  3.  A slash on the stick does not make you "dive"   -   if not in hockey , these lads definitely have a career in Acting.

Secondly, you had argued that there was no draft lottery prior to 2009 ,  you failed to realize that Sedins weren't the lowest paid Art Ross and now again you are wrong because the term "Sedin Sisters" was put forth by Dave Bolland  in 2011 and not Don C.  Your hockey accumen isn't as good as you may think.  

I really hope you are joking , Sedin is a the bottom of the list  -  St. Louis,  Spezza ,  Tavares , Thornton and Malkin wipe the floor with Sedins. 

Haha , I'm sure bud but this actually made me laugh out loud , haha .  No where except fantasy land far far away in Vancouver are Sedin's considered god of hockey -      If you were looking for a comparison  -  I'd say Sedins are more worthy to be compared to Ganguly/Steve Waugh sort of a model.  and as far as Lady Byng -  St. louis and Datsyuk have won em multiple times and the sisters do not even come close. 

The reason I mentioned Kesler was the style of hokcey he played along with Burrows and Sedins - dirty and  It's actually funny when Kesler made the hit on Dorsett,  Sedin called it a dirty play himself.  Not happy when your own dirty ex team mate turns the tables on you eh.   Canucks are known in the NHL as one of the worst diving teams -  http://www.macleans.ca/society/canucks-nation/

As for the leafs ,  Gardiner, Rielly are cornerstone workhorses and with Zaitsev a revelation , things are getting better.  With Matthews, Marner and Nylander and Gauthier in the ranks - lack of skill doesn't seem the biggest worry at this point 

5 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

You are quite conceited my friend, or in vain if you've watched those vidoes - only a few from a list of selection  to not realize how embellishement is a part of their game.  I can actually say much more confidently now that I've watched the Sedins play much more than you have.   

1.  First video  -  Henrik falls as if he got shot after a nudge onto the chest !  You'd have to so completely biased so not to see that.  His funny antics were all over the NHL in that series
  2. Second Video -  Ferrence jabs and look at that fall - either you've never played hockey or again quite biased if you actually thought that would make anyone fall down
  3.  A slash on the stick does not make you "dive"   -   if not in hockey , these lads definitely have a career in Acting.

Secondly, you had argued that there was no draft lottery prior to 2009 ,  you failed to realize that Sedins weren't the lowest paid Art Ross and now again you are wrong because the term "Sedin Sisters" was put forth by Dave Bolland  in 2011 and not Don C.  Your hockey accumen isn't as good as you may think.  

I really hope you are joking , Sedin is a the bottom of the list  -  St. Louis,  Spezza ,  Tavares , Thornton and Malkin wipe the floor with Sedins. 

Haha , I'm sure bud but this actually made me laugh out loud , haha .  No where except fantasy land far far away in Vancouver are Sedin's considered god of hockey -      If you were looking for a comparison  -  I'd say Sedins are more worthy to be compared to Ganguly/Steve Waugh sort of a model.  and as far as Lady Byng -  St. louis and Datsyuk have won em multiple times and the sisters do not even come close. 

The reason I mentioned Kesler was the style of hokcey he played along with Burrows and Sedins - dirty and  It's actually funny when Kesler made the hit on Dorsett,  Sedin called it a dirty play himself.  Not happy when your own dirty ex team mate turns the tables on you eh.   Canucks are known in the NHL as one of the worst diving teams -  http://www.macleans.ca/society/canucks-nation/

As for the leafs ,  Gardiner, Rielly are cornerstone workhorses and with Zaitsev a revelation , things are getting better.  With Matthews, Marner and Nylander and Gauthier in the ranks - lack of skill doesn't seem the biggest worry at this point 

Yes, we expect a TML fan living in Ontario to stay up all night till 1am watching the Sedins. Don't kid yourself - you have NOT watched the Sedins or any western team for that matter as much as the average western fan. 

1. I forgot about St. Louis and ELCs obviously don't count, because any hotshot talent will win Art ross while making less than a million. 

The Sedins are the cheapest Art ross trophy winner after St. Louis in 20+ years (not counting ELCs). If we look at bang for buck, they were even more worthwhile than St.Louis.

2. You must be new to hockey to not know that the 'draft lottery' 10 years ago gave worst team 25% chance of winning it. Ie, practically guaranteed, when 15 teams are splitting the remaining 75% chance.

That Pittsburg cheated to win Crosby, is well known in the league.

3. You clearly don't know hockey if you think getting slashed in your knee or ankle while carrying the puck doesnt make the players fall down.

4. All you are regurgitating, is the typical snotty attitude of the TML fans that sees them trash superstars from other teams. That you think Domi is a 'tougher player' than the Sedins, despite Domi  having a single completed season of hockey, shows how biassed and ridiculous you are.

Next time, when i compare Dorsett to Auston Matthews, you will be paid back in the same coin.

5. Sedins are better than Sundin according to Sundin. Thats all is required, really. Especially over one-eyed fans of teams that don't know what superstars are and are the most overrated team in history of hockey, with the worst fanbase. 

http://www.macleans.ca/society/for-canadians-the-toronto-maple-leafs-are-the-most-hated-team-in-the-nhl/

6. It is also well known, to any who followed our team in their glory days, that the Sedins were the cleanest players in the team, with Burrows, Kesler and Lapierre being our dirty players. 

7. Yes, the Sedins never won the Lady Byng. But they finished in the top 5 voting list for 8-9 years running, with only Datsyuk and St.Louis making such a strong run alongside and slightly better. 

8. I don't expect TML fans to understand what good hockey is, given that it has been the most hopeless team since before we were even born and continues to play- until this season- the brand of ugly, thuggish and boring hockey.

25 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Yes, we expect a TML fan living in Ontario to stay up all night till 1am watching the Sedins. Don't kid yourself - you have NOT watched the Sedins or any western team for that matter as much as the average western fan. 

1. I forgot about St. Louis and ELCs obviously don't count, because any hotshot talent will win Art ross while making less than a million. 

The Sedins are the cheapest Art ross trophy winner after St. Louis in 20+ years (not counting ELCs). If we look at bang for buck, they were even more worthwhile than St.Louis.

2. You must be new to hockey to not know that the 'draft lottery' 10 years ago gave worst team 25% chance of winning it. Ie, practically guaranteed, when 15 teams are splitting the remaining 75% chance.

That Pittsburg cheated to win Crosby, is well known in the league.

3. You clearly don't know hockey if you think getting slashed in your knee or ankle while carrying the puck doesnt make the players fall down.

4. All you are regurgitating, is the typical snotty attitude of the TML fans that sees them trash superstars from other teams. That you think Domi is a 'tougher player' than the Sedins, despite Domi  having a single completed season of hockey, shows how biassed and ridiculous you are.

Next time, when i compare Dorsett to Auston Matthews, you will be paid back in the same coin.

5. Sedins are better than Sundin according to Sundin. Thats all is required, really. Especially over one-eyed fans of teams that don't know what superstars are and are the most overrated team in history of hockey, with the worst fanbase. 

http://www.macleans.ca/society/for-canadians-the-toronto-maple-leafs-are-the-most-hated-team-in-the-nhl/

6. It is also well known, to any who followed our team in their glory days, that the Sedins were the cleanest players in the team, with Burrows, Kesler and Lapierre being our dirty players. 

7. Yes, the Sedins never won the Lady Byng. But they finished in the top 5 voting list for 8-9 years running, with only Datsyuk and St.Louis making such a strong run alongside and slightly better. 

8. I don't expect TML fans to understand what good hockey is, given that it has been the most hopeless team since before we were even born and continues to play- until this season- the brand of ugly, thuggish and boring hockey.

1.   Well atleast that put some of your conceited facts off about the Sisters along with Cherry coining the term
  2.   The lottery did exist , not the same % as today but It was there in the same essence and secondly , a conspiracy theory is not a fact.  I'm sure you are the only person in the world who knows certainly that Penguins skewed it , no one else apparently can say that as a fact. 
  3.   I play hockey and I can say for a fact that in either of those videos A jab in the chest down not make you fall down like someone pulled a point blank trigger on you from 2 ft or shanked you.  Secondly, the slash was on his stick not his ankle or his knee.  Your blind bias is making you not even see a video clearly ?
  4.   If you measure how competitive / tough a player is based on number of games someone plays then again your hockey accumen is quite low.  Sedins turtling their way and having goons protect them day in and day out playing on the 1st line never had to play tough - they played their diving , artistic swedish hockey -   Domi was a warrior day in and day out - despite his small stature going against the likes of Probert and Brashear.   The sisters would pass out even thinking about facing any of them.
  5.  Vancouvers notorious for diving and playing dirty and was /is and never be a franchise that would have any respect.  TML may be hated by some of the lesser team fans but again TML is a prized franchise.   https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/04/08/vancouver_canucks_could_be_nhls_most_despised_team.html

Players from the league have openly called out the Canucks as using "diving" as their gameplan - If that is not embarassing and shameful then I don't know what is.  Maybe you did not watch it back then but Nashville / Boyle all and I quote "Their heads are going back like they’re being shot with a gun," he said of the reaction by Canucks players when they’re met with a body check".     Lapierre was called for Diving in the WC finals for gods sake.

TML hasn't been playing thuggish for quite a number of seasons now - there's a reason Orr/ McLaren / Holzer were phased out.  TML is looking forward now and  again the sisters aren't winning with the Canucks.   With a team full of newbies and teenagers , leafs made it to the playoffs and Canucks i guessed  missed it 2nd or 3rd time in the past few seasons ?   With the sisters heading in late 30s and not finding a home anywhere else and Erikson not playing too well , I think Canucks have bigger worries on their hands than the Lafs

Edited by bleaf27

2 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:
  1.   Well atleast that put some of your conceited facts off about the Sisters along with Cherry coining the term

Ok. I will look for the video once i am off work.

The lottery did exist , not the same % as today but It was there in the same essence and secondly , a conspiracy theory is not a fact.  I'm sure you are the only person in the world who knows certainly that Penguins skewed it , no one else apparently can say that as a fact. 

You are CLEARLY new to hockey if you think that the Pens didn't tank the year of Crosby draft. its open knowledge in the league and tanking is not 'conspiracy', its a reality of many teams. As a TML fan, you should know that. Your HF boards are filled with tanking related stuff.

1.   I play hockey and I can say for a fact that in either of those videos A jab in the chest down not make you fall down like someone pulled a point blank trigger on you from 2 ft or shanked you.  Secondly, the slash was on his stick not his ankle or his knee.  Your blind bias is making you not even see a video clearly ?

I play hockey too and i agree the first one was weak (which player btw, hasn't fallen down for weak reasons in their careers ?) but the other two would've taken down Lindros, since size is irrelevant to being hit on knee and ankle.

1.   If you measure how competitive / tough a player is based on number of games someone plays then again your hockey accumen is quite low.  Sedins turtling their way and having goons protect them day in and day out playing on the 1st line never had to play tough - they played their diving , artistic swedish hockey -   Domi was a warrior day in and day out - despite his small stature going against the likes of Probert and Brashear.   The sisters would pass out even thinking about facing any of them.

hahahahaha. Who were our goons protecting Sedin, tell me ? The entire reason we lost the cup was due to A) Hamhuis's injury and B) No goons to protect the Sedins. You think if we had goons in our team, you get away with sticking a stick between the helmet and visor of a star player ?!?
The sisters would skate circles around the likes of Domi, Probert or Brashear. Too slow to matter in today's hockey, which is why they and their type of players are all history.

Give me clean, artistic hockey players who don't complain and literally show up every single game over loudmouth goons who are fragile, any day of the week.

Vancouvers notorious for diving and playing dirty and was /is and never be a franchise that would have any respect.  TML may be hated by some of the lesser team fans but again TML is a prized franchise.

LOL. I showed you a McLeans' article with stats in them and your counter is to quote a rag like the star ? Ok then, i will then start quoting the Sun about The Maple LAUGHS and their deplorable fanbase.

Players from the league have openly called out the Canucks as using "diving" as their gameplan - If that is not embarassing and shameful then I don't know what is.  Maybe you did not watch it back then but Nashville / Boyle all and I quote "Their heads are going back like they’re being shot with a gun," he said of the reaction by Canucks players when they’re met with a body check".     Lapierre was called for Diving in the WC finals for gods sake.

Yes. Our dirty players were Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler and Torres. Every team has their dirty players. I don't need to remind you of your days with Phil Kessel and his diving antics either. 
Not to mention, TML has been a team of low skill and high thuggery since the 80s. 

TML hasn't been playing thuggish for quite a number of seasons now - there's a reason Orr/ McLaren / Holzer were phased out.  TML is looking forward now and  again the sisters aren't winning with the Canucks.   With a team full of newbies and teenagers , leafs made it to the playoffs and Canucks i guessed  missed it 2nd or 3rd time in the past few seasons ?   With the sisters heading in late 30s and not finding a home anywhere else and Erikson not playing too well , I think Canucks have bigger worries on their hands than the Lafs

Yes, we've had a few bad years of late, stemming from the Kesler trade and failure to replace our vaunted blue-line well enough. 

But we are the most successful hockey team for the last 20 years from Canada. Unlike the Leafs who consider one fluky season of playoffs (and its fluky till you repeat it), we have won everything except the Stanley cup under the Sedin age. 

Last time you guys won a division title, never mind conference or president's trophy (even further back), was almost 20 years ago. 

The Sedins can find a home anywhere they wish to practically. Because almost a dozen teams enquired about them this year, despite the expansion draft meaning they'd have to expose 2 extra players to Vegas most likely. 
I don't expect TML fans to understand what loyalty is like, given that you guys ran out even your most loyal (also a Swede) superstar in Mats Sundin, who chose to finish his career with us instead. 

As I said and showed with the Macleans article, there is a reason why the Toronto Maple Laughs is the most hated team in Canada. They traditionally play a crap style of hockey, fill the team with crap players and have the most obnoxious fanbase in the entire league,worst case of media pandering and all the while being one of the least successful teams in the league for 40+ years.

9 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Ok. I will look for the video once i am off work.

You are CLEARLY new to hockey if you think that the Pens didn't tank the year of Crosby draft. its open knowledge in the league and tanking is not 'conspiracy', its a reality of many teams. As a TML fan, you should know that. Your HF boards are filled with tanking related stuff.

I play hockey too and i agree the first one was weak (which player btw, hasn't fallen down for weak reasons in their careers ?) but the other two would've taken down Lindros, since size is irrelevant to being hit on knee and ankle.

hahahahaha. Who were our goons protecting Sedin, tell me ? The entire reason we lost the cup was due to A) Hamhuis's injury and B) No goons to protect the Sedins. You think if we had goons in our team, you get away with sticking a stick between the helmet and visor of a star player ?!?
The sisters would skate circles around the likes of Domi, Probert or Brashear. Too slow to matter in today's hockey, which is why they and their type of players are all history.

Give me clean, artistic hockey players who don't complain and literally show up every single game over loudmouth goons who are fragile, any day of the week.

LOL. I showed you a McLeans' article with stats in them and your counter is to quote a rag like the star ? Ok then, i will then start quoting the Sun about The Maple LAUGHS and their deplorable fanbase.

Yes. Our dirty players were Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler and Torres. Every team has their dirty players. I don't need to remind you of your days with Phil Kessel and his diving antics either. 
Not to mention, TML has been a team of low skill and high thuggery since the 80s. 

Yes, we've had a few bad years of late, stemming from the Kesler trade and failure to replace our vaunted blue-line well enough. 

But we are the most successful hockey team for the last 20 years from Canada. Unlike the Leafs who consider one fluky season of playoffs (and its fluky till you repeat it), we have won everything except the Stanley cup under the Sedin age. 

Last time you guys won a division title, never mind conference or president's trophy (even further back), was almost 20 years ago. 

The Sedins can find a home anywhere they wish to practically. Because almost a dozen teams enquired about them this year, despite the expansion draft meaning they'd have to expose 2 extra players to Vegas most likely. 
I don't expect TML fans to understand what loyalty is like, given that you guys ran out even your most loyal (also a Swede) superstar in Mats Sundin, who chose to finish his career with us instead. 

As I said and showed with the Macleans article, there is a reason why the Toronto Maple Laughs is the most hated team in Canada. They traditionally play a crap style of hockey, fill the team with crap players and have the most obnoxious fanbase in the entire league,worst case of media pandering and all the while being one of the least successful teams in the league for 40+ years.

1.   Sure definitely do check it out
  2.   Tanking and rigging the lottery are two VERY VERY different things my friend.   Pitts may have tanked but you are accusing them of rigging the lottery.   Pitts won the weighted lottery -  ofcourse they tanked but you are certain they rigged the lottery - like I said your hockey accumen isn't as strong as you may think
  3.   You need to see the videos again  - No contact was made either to the knee or the ankle in either of those videos - It was just what the sisters do best.  Embellishing. 
  4. Why don't you provide the list of teams approaching the Sedins with a credible source to look at ?
  5.    Kesler, Burrows and Biesksa always protected the sisters !  Torres yeah for a season.   Again if you are talking toughness - Sisters do not even come close to players like Domi and Tucker.    We aren't talking about skating or playmaking skills hers.    Far from fragile - again your hockey knowledge is quite limited if you put fragile in the same sentence with Domi and Tucker.  Fragile would be someone like Lupul.
  6.   You impressed with Macleans ?    Could have asked for anything sir !   http://www.macleans.ca/society/canucks-nation/ , What about Sportsnet ?   http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/5-teams-we-love-to-hate/  .    What about globe and mail ?  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-have-become-nhls-most-hated-team/article582541/
  7. With a team with players like the Sisters , Bieksa , Burrows , Lapierre is quite embarassing enough -  I'd change sports if I had to root for a team with guys like that -   a team with integrity and lack of skills is easier to get behind than bunch of diving , embellishing players.        "I don’t know if he has an ounce of man in him,” Florida’s Krys Barch once said of Max Lapierre, who has a reputation for diving, and yapping after the whistle. “I’d be embarrassed to be his father.”    - For Lapierre. 
  8.   You may have a decent run in 2000s but since the past 4-5 seasons , Canucks are in a serious decline.  Heck , a rebuilding team such as the Leafs are outperforming the sisters and other superstars on that team !   Canucks are at the bottom of the league for 2 consecutive seasons while having apparent "superstars" in their team , that's unfortunate.  
  9.   Sundin had a bigger market to go to and chose to stay back with Leafs until quite late and it was best for him to try win the cup somewhere but again the Sisters couldn't do that as well - Luongo playing his ass off to keep them in contention wasn't enough.  and Unlike the sisters , Sundin knew how to stand up for himself and did not carry excessive baggage of "I'll only play with my brother" liability.   and don't even remind me of their weak power play game. 
  10.  Toronto plays a Canadian style of hockey - ofcourse if you are fed a decent course of biting , diving , embelleshing and oscar worthy perofrmances with the leading ladies day in and day out - anything less would be a travesty.   Auston Matthews and Marner would skate circles around the sisters . Their time is done but again retirement can be tough and no one wants the washed out superstars to cost updwards of 7 mil on their team - they couldn't go all the way - their time is done , they are 36 ! - which team is going to offer them a long term contract ?  - everyone except the canucks fan see it quite clearly. 

27 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:
  2.   Tanking and rigging the lottery are two VERY VERY different things my friend.   Pitts may have tanked but you are accusing them of rigging the lottery.   Pitts won the weighted lottery -  ofcourse they tanked but you are certain they rigged the lottery - like I said your hockey accumen isn't as strong as you may think
  3.   You need to see the videos again  - No contact was made either to the knee or the ankle in either of those videos - It was just what the sisters do best.  Embellishing. 
  4. Why don't you provide the list of teams approaching the Sedins with a credible source to look at ?
  5.    Kesler, Burrows and Biesksa always protected the sisters !  Torres yeah for a season.   Again if you are talking toughness - Sisters do not even come close to players like Domi and Tucker.    We aren't talking about skating or playmaking skills hers.    Far from fragile - again your hockey knowledge is quite limited if you put fragile in the same sentence with Domi and Tucker.  Fragile would be someone like Lupul.
  6.   You impressed with Macleans ?    Could have asked for anything sir !   http://www.macleans.ca/society/canucks-nation/ , What about Sportsnet ?   http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/5-teams-we-love-to-hate/  .    What about globe and mail ?  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-have-become-nhls-most-hated-team/article582541/
  7. With a team with players like the Sisters , Bieksa , Burrows , Lapierre is quite embarassing enough -  I'd change sports if I had to root for a team with guys like that -   a team with integrity and lack of skills is easier to get behind than bunch of diving , embellishing players.        "I don’t know if he has an ounce of man in him,” Florida’s Krys Barch once said of Max Lapierre, who has a reputation for diving, and yapping after the whistle. “I’d be embarrassed to be his father.”    - For Lapierre. 
  8.   You may have a decent run in 2000s but since the past 4-5 seasons , Canucks are in a serious decline.  Heck , a rebuilding team such as the Leafs are outperforming the sisters and other superstars on that team !   Canucks are at the bottom of the league for 2 consecutive seasons while having apparent "superstars" in their team , that's unfortunate.  
  9.   Sundin had a bigger market to go to and chose to stay back with Leafs until quite late and it was best for him to try win the cup somewhere but again the Sisters couldn't do that as well - Luongo playing his ass off to keep them in contention wasn't enough.  and Unlike the sisters , Sundin knew how to stand up for himself and did not carry excessive baggage of "I'll only play with my brother" liability.   and don't even remind me of their weak power play game. 
  10.  Toronto plays a Canadian style of hockey - ofcourse if you are fed a decent course of biting , diving , embelleshing and oscar worthy perofrmances with the leading ladies day in and day out - anything less would be a travesty.   Auston Matthews and Marner would skate circles around the sisters . Their time is done but again retirement can be tough and no one wants the washed out superstars to cost updwards of 7 mil on their team - they couldn't go all the way - their time is done , they are 36 ! - which team is going to offer them a long term contract ?  - everyone except the canucks fan see it quite clearly. 

1. Tanking is cheating. The lottery is done by the NHL, so if i were to accuse the Pens for having won the rigged lottery, the blame would fall on Bettman. No, the Pens did all they could've done- which is cheat- two years in a row (they were trying to snag Ovie too but failed).

2. Both the two videos show slash to the ankle and to the knee. The fact that you are calling players who are regular Lady Byng finalists as 'sisters', shows why TML fans are hated across Canada. Your fanbase doesn't know how to respect other team's stars or better players and have had the crappiest team for almost 50 years. Toronto in hockey is like having India's cricket market but West Indies team of the last 10 years. Utter tosh. 

3. Now i know you are not a hockey follower, since no team EVER confirms a bid on their player that doesn't go through. Who approached whom, is the domain of tweets of hockey newscasters and sports journalists.

4. Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa are not goons. They hardly fought, you are losing the plot in terms of what it means to 'protect' a star player. Try someone like Lucic or such. We had no goons in our team, which is why Boston would get away with crap like sticking a stick between the Sedins' visor and helmet with no retaliation. Bieksa was a clean, tough as nails defenceman, our Willie Mitchell light. Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, etc were dirty, sleazy players but not goons or fighters. 

5. Domi, Tucker, Clarke- they are all fragile players, who hardly finished an entire season in their entire career. IIRC, Clarke never did and Tucker only had 2 seasons where he played the whole season- much easier to do mind you, when you are not a top player and seeing 12-15 minutes a night instead of 18-20+ and that too against the best and roughest defenders of the opposition. 
Its much easier to throw a punch than take a punch. As i said, i don't expect TML fans to know what toughness is- they mistake goons and thuggery as toughness. Toughness is having an iron-man streak. Something no Toronto player can boast of.

6. So you are obfuscating between being clearly the most hated team in Canada (which McLeans show) versus 'not being loved' ? We are a western team. We get it. Eastern teams are more favoured due to demographics. But not being popular is not the same as the most hated team in Canada. That domain firmly lies with the TML.

7. Like i said, every team has its goons and parasites. Nothing exemplifies it more than the Maple Laughs of the 2000s- with goons and thugs like Domi or Tucker who were slashing monkeys. I'd rather have a diver in my team than an ankle slasher, but then again, i don't expect Leafs fans to know what real hockey looks like. There aren't many Leafs fans alive who've seen their team play good hockey of any sort and you certainly are not one of them.

8. 'Decent run' ? Our run in the 2000s for the 8 year period is greater than ANYTHING the Leafs have accomplished in their past 50 years combined ! 

9. What bigger market ? There is no bigger hockey market than Toronto. Sundin ditched you guys- you tried to trade him out to get picks, he refused, then he refused to sign with you and came to finish his career with the Canucks. Coz he knows what Toronto animal house is like. Crap fans, crap media and crap management.

You also clearly didn't see the staley cup finals where we lost, because Luongo took full responsibility for the loss. You are not supposed to win the cup if your goalie lets in 5 goals on 15 shots in the finals. Everyone blamed Luongo, not the Sedins. No superstar has dominated the scoring in the Stanley cup finals. Crosby got 2 points in the final series, Patrick Kane got 1 point, etc. Finals of Stanley cup comes down to goalies, defence and support cast, as the major skaters are mostly neutralized.

10. Toronto doesn't play Canadian style of hockey, that used to be Montreal. Canadian style of hockey isn't low skill, goons and thuggery, its high skilled physical game. Currently, the 'Canadian style' is best represented by Anaheim. 
And yes, i'd expect overall #1 draft pick who is not even 20 years old to skate circles around 37 year olds. So not sure what you are boasting of here, except that Matthews and the rest are nothing more than 1 season wonders right now, awaiting the dreaded sophomore slump.

As per long term contract - which 36 year old gets offered a long term contract anyways ? 

Toronto, simply speaking, has never had players as elite and as clean as the Sedins. The closest is Sundin. who all he had over the Sedins was size. But was slower, lesser passer or shooter than either Sedin.

Edited by Muloghonto