ICF talent spotting Brigade ....Pat ur back. Spotted talents have shown the sparks this IPL

Ankit_sharma03

It is because of the interest generated here about new, exciting players that I watched IPL this season. No matter who plays who, I have my favorite player to watch in almost each team. Thanks to the ICF "selection panel" for the picks. Good work, guys! As a fan of cricket it is always interesting to keep track of upcoming players. Some picks won't do well, but so what. I would rather see discussions about new players than the usual bashing threads. 

Yes this thread was due. It does not take a lot of effort to unearth and follow real talent. A dedicated bunch of followers who follow all levels of domestic cricket can easily see who are the players with spark and potential in them. 

What I am happier about is that the cricket administrations (particularly IPL teams) are also investing in doing real talent search. This is only going to be good for us in the long run

Our selectors are clueless n defensive, we are thinking about ODi n selecting like the game was being played in 1980, ODI team selection have been very poor.

Dhoni, Rahane, Yuvi should be kicked out n Pant, Samson, Shankar, Hooda, K Yadav should come in.

9 hours ago, MCcricket said:

Our selectors are clueless n defensive, we are thinking about ODi n selecting like the game was being played in 1980, ODI team selection have been very poor.

Dhoni, Rahane, Yuvi should be kicked out n Pant, Samson, Shankar, Hooda, K Yadav should come in.

Samson - Highly inconsistent and a very poor fielder/catcher to boot.

Shankar - One innings isn't what should take you to team India. His domestic/list A stats leave a lot to be desired.

Hooda - What exactly has he done?

Pant as an opener and eventually as a wkt keeper batsman who opens the batting, and Kuldeep on spin friendly tracks are the only ones out of this lot who deserve to be in the team. For CT, Pant is the major omission as he should've been picked as the backup opener and wkt keeper instead of Rahane.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Samson - Highly inconsistent and a very poor fielder/catcher to boot.

Shankar - One innings isn't what should take you to team India. His domestic/list A stats leave a lot to be desired.

Hooda - What exactly has he done?

Pant as an opener and eventually as a wkt keeper batsman who opens the batting, and Kuldeep on spin friendly tracks are the only ones out of this lot who deserve to be in the team. For CT, Pant is the major omission as he should've been picked as the backup opener and wkt keeper instead of Rahane.

Samson has been a flop in domestic but has done well on A-tours

Shankar is a batting all rounder with an avg of almost 50 in Fc, what else u want . How many batting all rounder do we have. We only have 2 fast bowling all rounders and shankar is a better batsman among. So soon ull see him

Hooda- he did well throughout domestic season

I think u only take IPL in consideration.

Domestic stats at times shud be ignored. Recently we saw with pandya.....he was quality we needed him so he was given exp at national n international level. 

If we only start to watch domestic stats vinay, mithun , dinda wud have demanded their places 1st 

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Samson has been a flop in domestic but has done well on A-tours

Shankar is a batting all rounder with an avg of almost 50 in Fc, what else u want . How many batting all rounder do we have. We only have 2 fast bowling all rounders and shankar is a better batsman among. So soon ull see him

Hooda- he did well throughout domestic season

I think u only take IPL in consideration.

Domestic stats at times shud be ignored. Recently we saw with pandya.....he was quality we needed him so he was given exp at national n international level. 

If we only start to watch domestic stats vinay, mithun , dinda wud have demanded their places 1st 

No I don't take "only IPL" into consideration else I wouldn't have backed Sandeep. Vijay Shankar averages 28 with the bat in List A, which is poor. His bowling isn't as good as Pandya's to make the cut for Team India. You may think Vijay Shankar can walk into the Indian team for shorter formats but I don't think so. He has to improve his batting or his bowling to get in.

Just now, Ultimate_Game said:

No I don't take "only IPL" into consideration else I wouldn't have backed Sandeep. Vijay Shankar averages 28 with the bat in List A, which is poor. His bowling isn't as good as Pandya's to make the cut for Team India. You may think Vijay Shankar can walk into the Indian team for shorter formats but I don't think so. He has to improve his batting or his bowling to get in.

He can actually not as 5th but 6th bowler someone who can bat at 5 or 6 and bowl few overs if needed 

In test he can play the role of holding one end n bowl 10-12 overs n play at no 6.......

In case wkt is to flat we can bring pandya in test 

Shankar has already been on radar, he was suppose to go on Last india A tour to Aus but got injured , this time he surely go. Dravid n selectors have an eye on him 

That i have already said 

Pandya bowling is better

Shankar batting

We can choose acc to need , pitches 

3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He can actually not as 5th but 6th bowler someone who can bat at 5 or 6 and bowl few overs if needed 

In test he can play the role of holding one end n bowl 10-12 overs n play at no 6.......

In case wkt is to flat we can bring pandya in test 

Shankar has already been on radar, he was suppose to go on Last india A tour to Aus but got injured , this time he surely go. Dravid n selectors have an eye on him 

That i have already said 

Pandya bowling is better

Shankar batting

We can choose acc to need , pitches 

Shankar is not suited to bat at 5 or 6. Shankar is more traditional and will taked time to get in. He's not like Pandya who can go after the bowling from the get go or can hit big at the death. That's why Shankar's selection is tougher. Either he has to average higher so he can play in top 4 or improves his bowling or adds power game to his repertoire. At the moment you can't have him in the shorter formats.

As for Shankar being a better batsman than Pandya, I disagree. We need a hard hitter like Pandya at 6 and not someone like Vijay Shankar. Pandya's game is more suited to shorter formats and that's why he's in the team.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Shankar is not suited to bat at 5 or 6. Shankar is more traditional and will taked time to get in. He's not like Pandya who can go after the bowling from the get go or can hit big at the death. That's why Shankar's selection is tougher. Either he has to average higher so he can play in top 4 or improves his bowling or adds power game to his repertoire. At the moment you can't have him in the shorter formats.

As for Shankar being a better batsman than Pandya, I disagree. We need a hard hitter like Pandya at 6 and not someone like Vijay Shankar. Pandya's game is more suited to shorter formats and that's why he's in the team.

Shankar can get going if needs to.....seen him bat in domestic

At 5,6 ull have time to get going...........pandya bats at 7 no comparison

Dhoni bats at 5,6 he takes time to get doing 

He wnt play in top 4....he shud bat at 5,6 only

Pandya will be at 7 only .....i dnt expect to see him uo

Vijay is very good hitter......again u need to watch domestic games rather checking stats on cricinfo . He can tonk the ball really well if he needs to 

As for Shankar being a better batsman than Pandya, I disagree. - ur the only one who says that ....have a poll on this whose batting is better n ull knw the answer

Soon ull see shankar as well......at 5,6 u get some time......dhoni is a prime example he never gets going straightway 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Shankar can get going if needs to.....seen him bat in domestic

At 5,6 ull have time to get going...........pandya bats at 7 no comparison

Dhoni bats at 5,6 he takes time to get doing 

He wnt play in top 4....he shud bat at 5,6 only

Pandya will be at 7 only .....i dnt expect to see him uo

Vijay is very good hitter......again u need to watch domestic games rather checking stats on cricinfo . He can tonk the ball really well if he needs to 

As for Shankar being a better batsman than Pandya, I disagree. - ur the only one who says that ....have a poll on this whose batting is better n ull knw the answer

Soon ull see shankar as well......at 5,6 u get some time......dhoni is a prime example he never gets going straightway 

No for a 5 or 6 Shankar needs to up his big hitting game and SR. The game has changed. At the moment his batting reminds me more of Kallis than Andre Russell, i.e. he's more suited to bat in top 4 than 5 or later.

As for the Pandya comparison, I mean batting in shorter formats. I would take Pandya and his potential to hit big in shorter formats than a more traditional Shankar, especially when their batting averages are so close. In fact Hardik averages 30 in List A compared to Shankar's 28.

12 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Pandya is a hack. He is hard hitter and much needed hack down the order but how much he will be useful only time will tell. He has temperament and the right attitude which helped him to play a few useful knocks under pressure in IPL and a couple in international. He really should improve his batting. His bowling is improving slowly and steadily.

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Pandya is a hack. He is hard hitter and much needed hack down the order but how much he will be useful only time will tell. He has temperament and the right attitude which helped him to play a few useful knocks under pressure in IPL and a couple in international. He really should improve his batting. His bowling is improving slowly and steadily.

You need hacks in the lower order who can get the big hits than players who struggle to hit big. If hardik is such a hack pray tell me how come his List A batting average is actually 2 points better than Shankar's even though they have played roughly the same amount of games? At the moment Pandya is a much better option than Shankar who either needs to improve his batting average so he can bat in the top 4 or improve his big hitting game so he can compete with Pandya.

1 minute ago, Ultimate_Game said:

You need hacks in the lower order who can get the big hits than players who struggle to hit big. If hardik is such a hack pray tell me how come his List A batting average is actually 2 points better than Shankar's even though they have played roughly the same amount of games? At the moment Pandya is a much better option than Shankar who either needs to improve his batting average so he can bat in the top 4 or improve his big hitting game so he can compete with Pandya.

You give a lot of importance to numbers. Agree Pandya is better option than Shankar in shorter formats at the moment but not for the same reason as yours but for his bowling.His batting would be bonus. Shankar is a trundler with limited skills in bowling. Not just sure about Hardik's batting at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Pollack said:

You give a lot of importance to numbers. Agree Pandya is better option than Shankar in shorter formats at the moment but not for the same reason as yours but for his bowling.His batting would be bonus. Shankar is a trundler with limited skills in bowling. Not just sure about Hardik's batting at the moment.

It's very important to be as objective as possible along with the optics. Sometimes you let your judgment be clouded by what you're seeing and not focusing on the results. I generally tend to do both. I watch a player and see if he looks good and then look at his domestic/List A performances to make sure whether the performance I'm watching is not a flash in the pan. When both the boxes are ticked then I back a player.

This approach has worked well so far in calling for Jadhav 3 years back and Sandeep now. Pant is an exception coz there are certain cases where you have to make an exception. Pandya gets the nod coz we need a pace all-rounder and at the moment he's the best of the lot.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:53 PM, Ultimate_Game said:

No for a 5 or 6 Shankar needs to up his big hitting game and SR. The game has changed. At the moment his batting reminds me more of Kallis than Andre Russell, i.e. he's more suited to bat in top 4 than 5 or later.

As for the Pandya comparison, I mean batting in shorter formats. I would take Pandya and his potential to hit big in shorter formats than a more traditional Shankar, especially when their batting averages are so close. In fact Hardik averages 30 in List A compared to Shankar's 28.

Plzz go n watch his domestic games in that case

No way his batting is like kallis.....cant help ur delusion 

Pandya vs shankar in short format they wnt be batting at same position so no point even comparing their s/r

Again u shud watch shankar domestic LOI games to know about his power game

1. 15 ball 34

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/interzonal-t20/m183359/match-clips/shankars-15ball-34-vs-north-zone/2001804644

2. 26 ball 40

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/interzonal-t20/shankar-chips-in-with-a-vital-40/2001901959

3. 88 ball 50 in ranji game, in longer format that not at all a slow innings infact its at a decent pace

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/ranji-trophy-201617/m182251/match-clips/shankars-poised-50-boosts-tn/2001803336

This guy has an all round game.........which will get better with time n confidence 

@SecondSlip

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

28 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Pandya n shankar shudnt even compete for same roles

Shankar can bat high n bowl few overs like a 6th bowler . Shankar as 5th bowler in LOI will be carnage fest 

Pandya is a hitter whose bowling is a big asset + an outstanding fielder 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Plzz go n watch his domestic games in that case

No way his batting is like kallis.....cant help ur delusion 

Pandya vs shankar in short format they wnt be batting at same position so no point even comparing their s/r

Again u shud watch shankar domestic LOI games to know about his power game

1. 15 ball 34

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/interzonal-t20/m183359/match-clips/shankars-15ball-34-vs-north-zone/2001804644

2. 26 ball 40

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/interzonal-t20/shankar-chips-in-with-a-vital-40/2001901959

3. 88 ball 50 in ranji game, in longer format that not at all a slow innings infact its at a decent pace

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/ranji-trophy-201617/m182251/match-clips/shankars-poised-50-boosts-tn/2001803336

This guy has an all round game.........which will get better with time n confidence 

What posters don't understand is in domestic cricket some players take time to mature n there is a breakthrough season n if you look at stats on the whole or after the breakthrough there will be a big difference.

Shankar was a good Ranji batter n has excellent, technique, temperament, n power as well, but he has worked very hard on his game n now become versatile, also his bowling is decent n way better then Binny, I see him bowling 130 to 135k regularly ,also has a good action n gets bounce n movement, with control, Shankar has grown alot in last one year .

Some cricketers play domestic their whole life n improve steadily per experience but there are some who have the talent n take couple of season or more to make a jump to graduate to next level n most domestic cricketers don't

5 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Some cricketers play domestic their whole life n improve steadily per experience but there are some who have the talent n take couple of season or more to make a jump to graduate to next level n most domestic cricketers don't

Yes

But if u see the quality and u feel its the right time to blood the player in ....why not 

Pandya was grafted in like that also there was a need.

Shankar is another player who can add a lot of value to this team . Like pandya also he has one aspect of his game really strong

Players like Shankar, hardik ,krunal shud be blooded in soon so we can play with a lot of combinations

They all will add a lot value to our LOI squads

In regards to shankar m quite sure he ll go to A-tour to Sa , After that we can bring him in national squad as i think Odi series in Wi N SL are next were a lot of main players will rest. His bowling can be also of help in those condition

Post MSD if there is one player in lower order who i feel has an all round game then thats shankar. He can tonk if needed and can play saving innings in case we r 29/5 .