Article on Sania published by "The Australian"

Desi Cartman

SO India's cricketers think they have had a week from hell. Try telling that to Indian tennis star Sania Mirza, who yesterday beat Uzbekistan's Iroda Tulyaganova 6-4 6-2 to go through to the second round of the Australian Open, despite playing under the separate threats of a fatwa and three-year jail term. Asked about the eight-day sporting war between India and Australia resulting from the Sydney Test, the 21-year-old Muslim said recent legal threats that have led her to consider quitting, as revealed in The Australian last week, were more significant. "Obviously as an Indian I am in support of India," Mirza said. "But I think I have my own set of controversies. I am going to leave the rest to them." The 31st seed faces charges she failed to respect the Indian flag at Perth's Hopman Cup a fortnight ago by sitting with her bare feet facing the three-stripe, an offence under the country's Prevention of Insult to the National Honour Act that carries a penalty of three years' jail and a fine. An AFP photographer has so far refused to hand over the original image that could be used against the Indian. Mirza, who yesterday registered 1.94 million hits on Google, compared to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar's 1.6m and Maria Sharapova's surprisingly paltry 562,000, has become a target for Indian ultra-nationalists and Islamic fundamentalists as her ranking and profile have risen. Fundamentalists have issued a fatwa against her for wearing short skirts and singlet tops, while effigies of the player were burned after she was incorrectly accused of supporting pre-marital sex. Little wonder the world No32 is finding it hard to keep her mind on the game. "I am not super-human and it does affect me," she said. "In the circumstances I am just happy that I came through the first round, because I am expected to win this match. I am expected to go through it easily." As revealed in The Australian last week, Mirza admitted she had briefly thought of quitting tennis over the flag furore. "A lot of things went through my head and one of the thoughts was (quitting), but I'm not saying I was serious enough that I am going to quit right now," she said. "I am not sure how many superstars are dealing with these issues on a daily basis. I think being a superstar from India, maybe they could be." * Tournament organisers have introduced a curfew preventing matches from beginning after 11pm following complaints from players. The deadline comes after a men's match last year ended at 3.34am - said to be the latest finish in Grand Slam history - because players were forced to take to the court at 11.45pm. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23058814-5001505,00.html