Did Robin Uthappa not deserve a place in the Champions Trophy squad ahead of Dinesh Karthik?

Uttappa vs Dinesh Karthik  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have in place of Manish Pandey for CT2017 ?

• Robin Uttappa
    • Dinesh Karthik

India have recalled Dinesh Karthik in their squad for the Champions Trophy in place of injured Manish Pandey, who will miss the event with a left side strain. Pandey picked up the injury during a practice session for Kolkata Knight Riders ahead of their IPL Eliminator against Sunrisers Hyderabad on Wednesday (17th May).

Source: http://www.cricketopinion.com/news/injured-manish-pandey-makes-way-dinesh-karthik-champions-trophy-squad/

Edited by sourab10forever

If it comes to Raina Vs Uthappa Vs DK, it should be Uthappa. Uthappa does well on patta wickets, has a high SR and suited to bat on bouncy tracks. He can play aggressive cricket in the middle overs if the RR has to be picked up and can play long innings as well. Raina still struggles on bouncy tracks against short deliveries which rise above shoulder level.

4 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

If it comes to Raina Vs Uthappa Vs DK, it should be Uthappa. Uthappa does well on patta wickets, has a high SR and suited to bat on bouncy tracks. He can play aggressive cricket in the middle overs if the RR has to be picked up and can play long innings as well. Raina still struggles on bouncy tracks against short deliveries which rise above shoulder level.

Last time uthappa went to A tour to australia after having a gr8 ipl. He got all games in test n odi on those absolute patta where even naman ojha scored 2 double tons.

Guess what happ he failed, failed miserably. 

He also got opp against minnows like bang n zimb and failed miserably 

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Last time uthappa went to A tour to australia after having a gr8 ipl. He got all games in test n odi on those absolute patta where even naman ojha scored 2 double tons.

Guess what happ he failed, failed miserably. 

He also got opp against minnows like bang n zimb and failed miserably 

He could have failed but based on what I've seen, he seems to be more comfortable against short deliveries than Raina and more of a power hitter than Kartik.  

3 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

He could have failed but based on what I've seen, he seems to be more comfortable against short deliveries than Raina and more of a power hitter than Kartik.  

International cricket is about temprament . Time n again both karthik n uthappa have shown why they have failed again n again

He can have all the ability but its the lack of temprament that makes the diff

18 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

International cricket is about temprament . Time n again both karthik n uthappa have shown why they have failed again n again

He can have all the ability but its the lack of temprament that makes the diff

Perhaps but there is a chance he could do well as he has played some good knocks in international cricket in the past.

But I'm saying based on Raina Vs DK Vs Uthappa. Raina has been poor against short deliveries especially if its at high pace and the pitches will be hard in England and will have good bounce.

Edited by kubrickian

Neither, I prefer raina, some one whi can hit from ball 1. His failures have been exaggerated, struggles a bit against short ball, but remember last time we played an ODI series in England, Raina was the man of the  series. 

Avg of 35 with strike rate of 90+ is pretty awesome coming in at no 6.

What the heck!!! More regurgitation. This freaking MSK Prasad knows nothing other than giving every tried and tested failure another chance. Won't be surprised if he picks himself and his fellow international failures who are selectors in the team again.

This is what happens when people don't follow domestic cricket and think IPL is the be and all of Indian cricket.

Good that Indian selectors have considered the domestic form for selection.

Dinesh Karthick fully deserves it.Has been by million miles the player in our domestics this season.Highest run getter in both Vijay Hazare and Deodhar trophy.Including century against India B in the final.

Credit to selectors for not mixing up formats for once.

38 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

This is what happens when people don't follow domestic cricket and think IPL is the be and all of Indian cricket.

Dinesh Karthick fully deserves it.Has been by million miles the player in our domestics this season.Highest run getter in both Vijay Hazare and Deodhar trophy.Including century against India B in the final.

This is nth time karthik will fail. He just performs badly under pressure. The only time I seen him play a good innings is in t20 against chokers. That's about it he has been terrible in the last champions trophy. If I remember correctly he was selected on form prior to champions trophy in 2013 and failed completely.

Edited by gattaca
34 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Agree domestic 50 over performances should be given value.

But the problem is, there are players who perform exceedingly well in the domestic circuit, season after season, but once they are selected for Intnl matches they fail miserably.

Vinay Kumar, DInesh Karthick are examples.... it's nt a small sample size either, he has played more than 70 matches..

This is nth time karthik will fail. He just performs badly under pressure. The only time I seen him play a good innings is in t20 against chokers. That's about it he has been terrible in the last champions trophy. If I remember correctly he was selected on form prior to champions trophy in 2014 and failed completely.

Poeple improve as cricketers and with time and experience gained learn how to cope with experience.

Personally I would have picked Pant and between DK anf Uthappa it's an easy choice ,DK.

As for not being able remember any good innings of DK in international cricket, he was one of the major factors being us winning the series in England.