Any ICFer who's been to Texas?

MechEng

12 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Lived in Richardson for long time in last decade. Arlington was more like a village. Overall DFW is pretty vibrant and definitely worth living/settling down.

- Cost of living in not high as other places in US. Plano, Frisco area in north of Dallas have good localities if settling down. Job market is pretty good here, most of the people who wanted to settle would choose living here over other places because of ease and cost of living. Life will not be as fast and happening as NY or LA, but you will find comfort and ease with everything in DFW and most of the famous places in Texas. 

- Night life scene is pretty average if you are party animal. You however will find lots of options for dining out and chilling etc. However, all this is nothing compared to Austin. Austin is like Mecca. If you enjoy sightseeing and all those things, you will be disappointed. Very few places of scenic beauty compared to other states. Corpus Christi and Galveston are famous destination for summers, but most people would venture out in other states if they like to go on a trip. 

- Lot of Desi population in and around DFW. You cannot ignore it even if you want.:giggle: Infact that is true for most of Texas now. You will not run out of options for Desi restaurants, mandirs n gurudwaras, or any other socio cultural gatherings you like to attend. 

- Public transportation is not as good as other cities in US. Everything will be far off and you will have to bear the traffic wherever you go. No respite from it. 

- Weather is pretty hot most of the year round. If you have lived in North, you will love it for few months after that you will realise how *ing hot it is.:phehe: You will be lucky to see snowfall once a time in a year or two. 

- Plenty of options to play Cricket. Lots of clubs for all levels of cricket. You would not miss it if you are interested. You might meet few past international stars as well if you are regular with some clubs. Also people in general love their sports here, Cowboys, Rangers, Mavs, College football - everything has huge fan following. 

- Arlington per se, is kinda small suburb of DFW. Earlier people only visited there because of Rangers or Cowboys game. Also famous for Sixflag amusement park. Apart from that, nothing much in that area. Little cheaper I think compared to other parts of DFW.

- People are not racist as you might have heard. That is a thing of past. I am not sure about the scene after Trump got elected though. You will find lots of Mexicans and Spanish speaking people everywhere in Texas which is obvious. 

- DFW is the perfect example of what ''Texas Size" means. Everything comes in big size here.

3 hours ago, Shunya said:

Thanks! I'll be heading to Arlington in a couple of months time. I believe that Texas is like the desi part of US, locals are humble, conservative and very friendly there, different from hyper competitive and fast paced life of big cities!

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Thanks! I'll be heading to Arlington in a couple of months time. I believe that Texas is like the desi part of US, locals are humble, conservative and very friendly there, different from hyper competitive and fast paced life of big cities!

lol texas has seen quite few racist incidents recently. Locals pushing away carts from Indians asking them to get out of country.

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

lol texas has seen quite few racist incidents recently. Locals pushing away carts from Indians asking them to get out of country.

Damn...Well google does say that Texas is among top 3 most racist states in US. Got to be careful.

12 years and i never had that issue. Arlington is full of desis. Uncles and Aunties in dhoti/sari is a common site in the neighborhood. Lived in Houston, Dallas and Austin. Austin is hands down best place to live. Longest I lived in a town after my native is this. Its been 7+ years.

all the best.

A big Texas sized welcome to you. Yes, I live in the DFW area, but not lived in Arlington. For most desis in the area, Irving (northern side) is the desi adda. You will see lots (and I mean lots) of desis there. Almost a second AP/Telangana. Arlington also I believe has lots of desis.

Most people you will find in Texas are very friendly, more friendly than any other state. It is probably one of the few places where you could walk in a grocery store and strike up a conversation with a total stranger and it would seem like you are talking to your long lost friend. On the racist angle, in the big metros like Dallas, Houston, etc. you will rarely come across any profiling. I have lived here for the last 10 years and I have enjoyed living here.

Houston is the place for you if you are a food lover. It is easily in top 2-3 cities in USA as far as verity of restaurants are concerned. Traffic got worse in last 10 years because Houston economy stayed afloat even through 2008 crisis (and also because of RITA and KATRINA hurricanes)