Will education make world a safer place ?

gattaca

I see lot of comments regarding educating masses in Muslim world to get rid of problems the world is facing. Facts say otherwise. Most of the bad people who are creating problems are educated and middle class people. Heck bin laden was an engineer and the main mastermind was has Ph.D. from German university which is hard to get. I feel education will cause more problems. These guys using the knowledge and technology to do bad things. They are finding new ways to do bad things. Discuss.

Edited by gattaca

Nothing will make this world safe. You can never get rid of few insane people who just wants to get to heaven by killing non-believers. Its time to accept it, and live your life. Accept it like that its a disease. I am starting to hate our politicians in the west, just so much fear to speak their mind. 

When we say education we should think which one is of higher priority? - Philosophical or technical?

While technology is very important for the world to run humans can still survive without it, but they cannot survive without philosophical/moral education, otherwise world would be a chaotic place with no law and order.

We live in an era of extreme spiritual illiteracy  where our egos are huge and free thinking is just lip service. Gone are the days of people like Madhavcarya, Adi Shankaracarya, Aristotle, Socrates and even early Islamic scholars like Averroes who questioned the concept of omnipotence.

If the world wants peace, great teachers and philosophers will have to make a comeback and restore balance. 

add money as well .. most of the pakistanis sent to india in a sucide mission take down their lives just for 50,000 Rs ..

have no idea why guys who are living a comfortable lives will turn to terrorism aka bin laden kind of guys

Obviously not, terrorists do not differentiate civilians on education. However, let's not not undermine education just because it has not stopped the radicalization in one religion. Education has helped many other religions, countries including our own. We need more education but don't expect it to solve the world's dangerous problem.

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

When we say education we should think which one is of higher priority? - Philosophical or technical?

While technology is very important for the world to run humans can still survive without it, but they cannot survive without philosophical/moral education, otherwise world would be a chaotic place with no law and order.

We live in an era of extreme spiritual illiteracy  where our egos are huge and free thinking is just lip service. Gone are the days of people like Madhavcarya, Adi Shankaracarya, Aristotle, Socrates and even early Islamic scholars like Averroes who questioned the concept of omnipotence.

If the world wants peace, great teachers and philosophers will have to make a comeback and restore balance. 

But philosophical education is usually what you get in good schools in the west too. I believe they are good but seems people are turning the other way and doing bad things. I agree we need more people like that who question. There was an interesting thing I was reading about a Christian preacher why does God punish people. This applies to all religions. 

2 hours ago, zen said:

To specify -> education in ethics, being community focused, keeping the planet first, etc. 

But all these guys who do bad things do get that in schools in the west. Don't they ? My question was why the middle class educated folks turn the other way. Mostly in schools you do get education in ethics.

Edited by gattaca

6 minutes ago, gattaca said:

But philosophical education is usually what you get in good schools in the west too. I believe they are good but seems people are turning the other way and doing bad things. I agree we need more people like that who question. There was an interesting thing I was reading about a Christian preacher why does God punish people. This applies to all religions. 

It's some people, not all people doing bad things. It's unfortunate that because of one particular religion, religion itself gets a bad name. Not all religion nor people are problematic. Similarly, we shouldn't question the methods of education just because of one group. Current education systems are generally fine and needs to spread more.

Educated people know what they are doing, why they are doing even if they are likes of Osama but people who mostly don't know are uneducated people and those few educated thugs can easily indoctrinate them in the name of religion and radicalize them. Yes, masterminds are educated people, but they are not a lot in numbers and they don't put their lives in danger. Rather they persuade others, through their useless rhetoric,  who are not educated, to execute their propaganda, their jihad, their proxy war. 

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

But all these guys who do bad things do get that in schools in the west. Don't they ? My question was why the middle class educated folks turn the other way. Mostly in schools you do get education in ethics.

Moral science is a joke in school... even at work ethics training that is mandatory in most corporates, no one gives a fk.... u just skip ahead of the slideshow,take the test and get the fk out of it

I am hopeful of reform within Islam in 2 generations (40 years). 

But today if a couple of 'educated' British Porks from pork passion blow themselves up for jihadi cause, then that would hardly be surprising.

Edited by randomGuy

7 hours ago, gattaca said:

Why should responsibility for such edu be limited to just schools? Such education should be imparted everywhere including at homes to have a meaningful effect

Education of masses may not be a permanent solution but is definitely a step in the right direction towards the enlightenment of masses.  It is at least much easier to talk with a person who knows common sense and what critical thinking is and what rational understanding of world is than a person who knows nothing about the same. 

If more or more people are educated, at least a small percentage of them will become open-minded and sensible w.r.t. their outlook of life and understand why every one else is also as right as they themselves are. This over a long period of time will result in more percentage of people becoming open-minded and rational and finally lead to the end of religious bigotry and fanaticism for good. 

19 hours ago, gattaca said:

I see lot of comments regarding educating masses in Muslim world to get rid of problems the world is facing. Facts say otherwise. Most of the bad people who are creating problems are educated and middle class people. Heck bin laden was an engineer and the main mastermind was has Ph.D. from German university which is hard to get. I feel education will cause more problems. These guys using the knowledge and technology to do bad things. They are finding new ways to do bad things. Discuss.

Education CAN make a huge difference. It is the reason i went from being an initiated Brahmin to being an atheist. 
However, education doesn't mean accumulating employable skills. You can get a PhD in math or physics, yet never know the philosophy of scientific process or critical thinking process.

It is the latter that is the cure for religious fanaticism, because it is how you learn what is empiricism, logic, evidence, etc. 
If we educate people from a young age on the philosophy of science, rationalism and empiricism, it will play a big role in decreasing fanaticism, because it teaches one how to differentiate between fact and fiction. 

Education counts for jack ...it's mostly the upbringing that matters. 

For eg e.g. I am assuming most of us are atleast half decent human beings and that is because our parents kept emphasizing the rights and wrongs now I am not saying they followed everything to a tee like "don't be selfish" "don't lie" etc etc but they ensured their kids had good values  ....once we evolved obviously we learnt that it is not all black and white like our parents taught us but we had some amount of ethics or atleast could differentiate between right or wrong even if we were doing the wrong thing.

now imagine a kid who gets ingrained in his head things like it's ok to kill people from other religions  or it's ok to rape  woman in a war or something of that nature- this is not against any religion just generalizing like I did above...tell me what that kids mental state will be even if he is a phd in something.

Just look at the way some so called "journalists" and "professors" talk on Pakistani channels. There was a guy who is some popular comedian on one of their india pak cricket shows say that we have ruled over them for 1000 years in an unrelated setting on national tv and it was just spontaneous. No one even were shocked. Look at the kind of reactions an owaisi or someone from VHP get in India or in most countries.

its all about upbringing nothing to do with education