Harbhajan Singh Says He Doesn't Get Same 'Privileges' As MS Dhoni In Selection Matters

Veteran off-spinner Harbhajan Singh says that he is not given the kind of 'privilege' that Mahendra Singh Dhoni gets when it comes to selection for Team India. Harbhajan was referring to Dhoni being named for the Indian squad for the ICC Champions Trophy. The BCCI Chairman of Selectors, MSK Prasad, had said on Dhoni's selection that he brought much more to the table than just his batting in the form of experience and his tactical brain. Harbhajan weighed in on the matter with a straighter one, suggesting that he too was a senior player and brought a lot more to the table than just his bowling or batting but in his case it is not taken into consideration.

'Yes there is no doubt that Dhoni brings a lot to the table apart from his batting, whether he is in form or not. Obviously we have seen that he is not hitting the ball as well as we have seen,' Harbhajan told NDTV.

"But he has been captain and he understands the game and having him in the middle will help lot of youngsters and people out there who are not feeling great in particular moments. So he has that edge.

"But when it comes to me. I do feel that we are not given that sort of privilege," the bowler added. "We too have played for 19 years and won and lost India matches. I have won two World Cups too. So this privilege is for some players, and for some it is not and I'm one of those for whom this privilege is not there. I don't know why that is the case.

"That question of 'why', needs to be asked to the selectors. I don't want to sing my own praises but the amount of cricket others have played even I understand the game as much and what they bring to the table we also bring to the table. We too wish to play for the country as much," he added.

Harbhajan was critical of the fact that neither Gautam Gambhir nor his name was discussed at the selection committee meeting for the Champions Trophy at a time when both have done so well at the IPL recently (as was reiterated by Prasad as well). Harbhajan had the best economy rate for Mumbai Indians at 6.48 on their journey to winning the 3rd IPL title.

'It is not fair to be honest. Why do we play such tournaments (like the IPL)? We play to get selected to play for India. If people are doing well. Let's talk about Gautam Gambhir. He has the most number of runs consistently. If I talk about myself, yes, you know we all were hoping that we might be somewhere in the mix. But knowing that in my scenario I knew that If Ashwin will be fit then he will be there in the team and if he is not then I have a chance.

"He (Ashwin) was rested for the IPL because he needs to get fit for the Champions Trophy. I understand all of that. But if you do well, you should be rewarded or considered at least. Aisa naheen key humney discuss naheen kiya, next question. Why do we have two different rules for two different people?'' the bowler asked.

Asked about the possibility that the selectors may not have considered him or Gambhir for the Champions Trophy because their fielding perhaps doesn't match up to the level of the younger lot, Harbhajan retorted by saying, ''See if someone comes and tells me that this is one thing that is lacking in you that's the reason you're not there in the squad but nobody has told me. There is no communication. If someone tells me this is how fit we need you to be, at the end I want to play for India so I will work on it.

"I don't know my weakness because nobody has spoken to me. None of the selectors, no one actually. But I've always felt that when I do I get somewhere so I'm working hard and I'm sure I'll get somewhere," he added.

Prasad, when he had first taken up the position had made it clear that no player once injured would be allowed to return to the Indian Team without proving his fitness in a match like situation. But in the case of Ashwin that is unlikely to happen considering he did not play in the IPL and the Champions Trophy is immediately after.

However Harbhajan felt that for top players like Ashwin making an exception is understandable.

''Because he was rested by the team management itself, given the thought that we need him totally fit for the Champions Trophy so in scenarios like this with one or two players we can make this exception. But even in the case of Ashwin I'm sure a fitness test will happen. Knowing Virat and Anil bhai (Kumble) I'm sure they would not want to have an injured player in the squad.

"And knowing Ashwin, he is a champion bowler, he will not say that I'm half-fit but take me. He will say if he is feeling a niggle. I wish he is okay and I wish him all the luck to do well in the Champions Trophy,'' added Harbhajan.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/harbhajan-singh-says-he-doesnt-get-same-privileges-as-ms-dhoni-in-selection-matters-1703810?pfrom=home-topstories

Not supporting Dhoni's continued selection here, but Bhajji should also have pointed out how his biggest mentor Sachin was also allowed to play until he was Enjoying his Game!

Dhoni is past it and shouldn't be in team IMO, but finger pointing at only one player is just soreness and whining being displayed again by Bhajji.

First attacking Ashwin saying he did not get to play on Spin pitches like Ashwin did, and now this. Get a life Bhajji!

Edited by Forever Indian

Bhajji you do not deserve to be selected, you have not played first class cricket or list A cricket for your state.Unlike Gambhir or Yuvi who slogged thru the ranjis and showed they still love the game and therefore got selected to Indian test and odi team respectively.

First take bucket loads of wickets in any form of cricket then make the statements. 

Edited by putrevus
2 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Not support Dhoni's continued selection here, but Bhajji should also have pointed out how his biggest mentor Sachin was also allowed to play until he was Enjoying his Game!

Dhoni is past it and shouldn't be in team IMO, but finger pointing at only one player is just soreness and whining being displayed again by Bhajji.

First attaching Ashwin saying he did not get to play on Spin pitches like Ashwin did, and now this. Get a life Bhajji!

Bold is true fact. Bhajji do not deserve to be selected but so do not Dhoni and Yuvraj. You are right when you say Sachin was given a special treatment. But two wrongs don't make a right.Also dhoni was the same person who talked about we are all servants of Indian cricket and all such sanctimonious dialogues. Sadly he is not applying it for himself.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:
  He forgot to mention that there's a proven established off-spinner in the team who is a better bowler than him.   And that he was picked in the World T20 squad as well.  

You shouldn't comment on Sikhs like that. I hope you know the history of 12 o clock w.r.t Sikhs...

Edited by beetle
5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Bold is true fact. Bhajji do not deserve to be selected but so do not Dhoni and Yuvraj. You are right when you say Sachin was given a special treatment. But two wrongs don't make a right.Also dhoni was the same person who talked about we are all servants of Indian cricket and all such sanctimonious dialogues. Sadly he is not applying it for himself.

He is a hypocrite. THe only reason Pant was not selected even as a batsman over someone like Rahane was that if they were in same team and Pant was smashing around, where as Dhoni Tuk Tuk was playing at strike rate of 70, then there would be pressure on Dhoni to retire. MSK is chamcha of Dhoni Period. 

6 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I am also saying the same thing, once someone is clearly past it they should be kicked out of team or gracefully asked to retire. But what I am pissed about Bhajji is naming people specifically like he has done which is not professional at all.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

He forgot to mention that there's a proven established off-spinner in the team who is a better bowler than him.   And that he was picked in the World T20 squad as well.  

After all the preaching about muslims on that chit chat thread, you make this pathetic comment #HypocrisyExposed

Edited by beetle

He has done jack in the last Ranji season. He is not even in top 50 bowlers in terms of most wickets and he wants to be selected for national side again? If he does really well in FC, then could be considered otherwise how could he think his selection is warranted at this stage of his career?

Edited by kubrickian