Sachin: A Billion Dreams

velu

Just came out of the theater. It's a docudrama and is directed well. Much much better than his biography (not really a benchmark, but still). Few scenes implied Azhar was spoiling the environment during his first captaincy tenure. Also touches match fixing saga and Sachin says he didn't speak out because he didn't have solid evidence. He says he wanted to be 100% sure to bring it out to public. I felt it was a lame excuse.

Felt like I was in a stadium with constant cheers whenever our cricketers appeared - Dhoni got the loudest cheers here in Chennai.

Edited by littlemaster1982

1 hour ago, littlemaster1982 said:

Just came out of the theater. It's a docudrama and is directed well. Much much better than his biography (not really a benchmark, but still). Few scenes implied Azhar was spoiling the environment during his first captaincy tenure. Also touches match fixing saga and Sachin says he didn't speak out because he didn't have solid evidence. He says he wanted to be 100% sure to bring it out to public. I felt it was a lame excuse.

Felt like I was in a stadium with constant cheers whenever our cricketers appeared - Dhoni got the loudest cheers here in Chennai.

Watched it in Hindi or Tamil?

Saw near by screens had only Hindi so had to skip it.

11 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Watched it in Hindi or Tamil?

Saw near by screens had only Hindi so had to skip it.

I booked Hindi version as I didn't have any choice. But while entering the movie hall, theater guys told me it's English version and apologized for the inconvenience :phehe: It was mostly narrated in English, except his childhood scenes. Non-English parts had subtitles, so you need not worry.

Booked a ticket for tomorrow as no tickets are available today. Wanted to watch it in English but not available. Have to watch in Hindi. 

The ideal version for me would be voice over of Sachin in English and rest being original voices. Dubbed voice ruins the experience.

8 minutes ago, littlemaster1982 said:

I booked Hindi version as I didn't have any choice. But while entering the movie hall, theater guys told me it's English version and apologized for the inconvenience :phehe: It was mostly narrated in English, except his childhood scenes. Non-English parts had subtitles, so you need not worry.

Its a bit confusing. Why didnt they release English version in some cities ? 

Edited by kubrickian

11 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

Its a bit confusing. Why didnt they release English version in some cities ? 

I'm not really sure. Even my post sounds ambiguous now I read it again. Either they played English version instead of Hindi or there's no Hindi version as such. I missed to notice which language was mentioned in Censor certificate. 

2 hours ago, littlemaster1982 said:

Ticket sales was opened at SPI on Tuesday midnight and saw it was labeled as Hindi so skipped it..

Checked now, Its under English now and only front seats are left.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:21 PM, littlemaster1982 said:

It wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be. In the match fixing part, everything was implied. The director(s) wanted to let the audience reach their own conclusions. Some 'critics' may call that avant garde movie making, I call that beating around the bush.

In my opinion, the movie doesn't do justice to the greatness that is Sachin Tendulkar, the one person who symbolizes everything that is right about aspirational, middle class India.

I thought it was good but if you had followed Indian cricket closely, you wont find a lot you dont already know. Its similar to watching highlights after watching the whole game. 

The movie focuses a lot more on World Cup and Sachin's dream of India winning the World Cup and little less on test cricket. 

There is very little of Dravid, Laxman, Kumble with whom he had played 20 years of cricket and were instrumental in India becoming a good test side in 2000s. You see them only in a few shots from footage.

I watched the movie in Hindi which meant the Marathi speaking bits had Hindi subtitles and I dont know how to read Hindi, so I had no idea what they were saying but they were only a few moments.

I felt the movie didnt really give you a sense of the magnitude of his achievements. He literally broke almost every batting record in cricket and delivered time and again despite the expectations of a billion people and he did that for 24 years. Somehow you get a sense of his popularity but not of the scale of his achievements. Perhaps it was done on purpose to focus on his contribution to the team than his records.

Overall its an inspirational story because Sachin was from a simple middle class family and became the biggest star in cricket. Well worth watching.  :nice: