Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?

Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should BCCI let India's B players compete in foreign T20 leagues?

7 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

No BCCI shouldn't. It will dilute the IPL brand as IPL is the only tourney with Indian players.

It will dilute the IPL if a Rahul Tripathi or Jaydev Unadkat play in foreign leagues?

On the contrary, it will grow the IPL brand and create more stars for Indian cricket if you have these fringe players performing well overseas.

1 minute ago, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

It will dilute the IPL if a Rahul Tripathi or Jaydev Unadkat play in foreign leagues?

On the contrary, it will grow the IPL brand and create more stars for Indian cricket if you have these fringe players performing well overseas.

Yes it will. The USP of IPL is that it's the only league in the world with Indian players. I'm sure when the owners of various franchises bid for the clubs they factored it in their valuations. If all and sundry can invite Indian players, you will have some portion of Indian audience follow those league(s) thus diluting the IPL brand.

14 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Yes it will. The USP of IPL is that it's the only league in the world with Indian players. I'm sure when the owners of various franchises bid for the clubs they factored it in their valuations. If all and sundry can invite Indian players, you will have some portion of Indian audience follow those league(s) thus diluting the IPL brand.

The USP of IPL is that you get the top Indian players like Dhoni and Kohli. Players like those don't have time for foreign leagues anyway. As for players like say Sanju Samson or Basil Thampi, they're not stars. Keeping them away from foreign leagues does nothing for them or the IPL. Instead, they can grow their stock by developing their skills overseas and making their name there. It will also lead to more overseas followers of IPL when they see the same Indian players who played for their teams in their country.

10 minutes ago, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

The USP of IPL is that you get the top Indian players like Dhoni and Kohli. Players like those don't have time for foreign leagues anyway. As for players like say Sanju Samson or Basil Thampi, they're not stars. Keeping them away from foreign leagues does nothing for them or the IPL. Instead, they can grow their stock by developing their skills overseas and making their name there. It will also lead to more overseas followers of IPL when they see the same Indian players who played for their teams in their country.

The bigger risk is introducing Indian fans to other leagues. I would be extremely surprised, shocked actually, if BCCI, the IPL franchise owners and the IPL broadcasters who signed multi-million dollar deal would agree to Indian players playing in any other league.

4 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Why would other countries  T20 want India B players?

Outside India the average cricket supporter around the world doesn't know any Indian cricketer really apart from Kohli and Dhoni

Because the foreign players that do play those leagues aren't particularly great either. Maybe a young Indian player who impressed in the IPL would be of interest to these franchises, more so than some washed-up old player on the verge of retirement or a big name player that's short on performances.

5 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Yup.. Monopoly in Business!... Marketing 101.

I actually didnt realize this until 5th 6th season of IPL.. whoever came up with this clause in IPL/BCCI must be genius.

Edited by veer
3 hours ago, veer said:

Yup.. Monopoly in Business!... Marketing 101.

I actually didnt realize this until 5th 6th season of IPL.. whoever came up with this clause in IPL/BCCI must be genius.

Actually that would've been the first thing I would've insisted on if I were to bid on a franchise or the broadcasting rights. As an example, say I bid for RCB for 140M and broadcasters pay 300M per year for broadcasting IPL. If a franchise in BBL which say costs 20M is able to get Kohli, Dhoni or other major stars, plenty of Indian viewers would watch BBL and essentially I ended up over-paying for my franchise (RCB).

That's why the exclusive rights to Indian players has to be part of the franchise and broadcasting agreements, and I'm sure it's there. Else I would buy a franchise in another league for the fraction of price it would've cost me in IPL and paid some Indian stars millions and would've targeted Indian audience essentially having the best of both the worlds.

12 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

TF is an Indian B player? A so called B player can catapult himself to the A-list within a season. Then what? A more plausible suggestion would be to eliminate the requirement of NOC for those Indian players who failed to get an IPL contract. This can be doable.

A B-player is one that isn't really in the national team scheme of things, or even the 'A' team scheme of things. The purpose of such an exercise in itself would be to create more A or A+ players outside of the national team regulars, thus having a much larger pool to choose from. Such talent are also not big names in India so it wouldn't really lead to massive viewership or sponsorship money from India for those leagues.

7 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Your definition of B player makes no sense. A player who isn't in the national scheme of things can suddenly be in the scheme of things within a season. What then? Rescind his contract with the foreign league?

Second, as has been pointed out by others, you cannot even think of taking a measure that would dilute the brand IPL. IPL's appeal is its exclusive hold over INDIAN talent. Not just A-list Indian talent, but all Indian talent. Implementing your suggestion is like starting on a slippery slope, you make one exception for one set of players, suddenly you don't know where to stop.

Third, domestic T20 leagues (mistake to call them domestic, btw) aren't some developmental program. They are showcase events. Indian pool of talent won't develop or get larger by sending the so-called B players in these leagues.

Lastly, I agree on one thing and that is the financial security of players who couldn't secure themselves an IPL contract. BCCI shouldn't insist on the NOC requirement for such players.

There will only be a few players that will be in the national team scheme of things within one season. It usually takes multiple good seasons for one to get noticed. 

IPL's brand does not get diluted if it's lesser known Indian players play foreign leagues. On the contrary, if they make their name elsewhere, it only helps the IPL brand since they have more players of a reputation besides the national team regulars.

If you think our B players won't develop by being pushed out of their comfort zone by playing in foreign conditions in a foreign country alongside foreign players in front of a completely different set of fans, you're deluded.

7 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Well BCCI havent bothered to invest in the Women's version of IPL so therefore female cricketers arent bound by the board.

That can change very quickly.

see, THIS is why the BCCI can't lose at the ICC table. how the * are they supposed to expand cricket in india if their funding is limited.