Looks like CT is going to be 'Bat first and Bat big' type of tourney

Based on the CT warmup matches and the ongoing Eng-SA odi series it looks like CT is going to follow the WC 2015 pattern, i.e. win the toss, bat first, post a big total (320+) to bat the opposing team out of the match. To succeed in such tourneys you need to bat deep. I'm afraid if India has to chase a biggish total the way it had to in WC 2015 semis the result would be the same coz we haven't really added more batting firepower and neither added batting depth. In fact we had Raina in 2015 WC who is not here anymore thus reducing the hitting power we have at our disposal. This tourney and pitches are tailor made for teams like Eng and Aus who bat deep and have tremendous batting firepower.

21 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Based on the CT warmup matches and the ongoing Eng-SA odi series it looks like CT is going to follow the WC 2015 pattern, i.e. win the toss, bat first, post a big total (320+) to bat the opposing team out of the match. To succeed in such tourneys you need to bat deep. I'm afraid if India has to chase a biggish total the way it had to in WC 2015 semis the result would be the same coz we haven't really added more batting firepower and neither added batting depth. In fact we had Raina in 2015 WC who is not here anymore thus reducing the hitting power we have at our disposal. This tourney and pitches are tailor made for teams like Eng and Aus who bat deep and have tremendous batting firepower.

Hit the nail on the head. Can't bat deep, no big hitting lower down the order and its an ageing team so will lose runs in the field.

From our WC team we replaced Rahane with DK and Raina with Yuvi, I'm not sure how much better that makes us in batting potential. 

Pandya needs to be in the playing XI to add the necessary pop at the lower order.

17 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

From our WC team we replaced Rahane with DK and Raina with Yuvi, I'm not sure how much better that makes us in batting potential. 

Pandya needs to be in the playing XI to add the necessary pop at the lower order.

Rahane is still around and will probably get a game ahead of DK so i wouldn't say DK replaced Rahane. As for Yuvraj over Raina, that's a huge step back. Raina has a pretty good record in England and seeing the kind of pitches around these would've been perfect for Raina. Plus Raina is a gun fielder and I would say he's still our 2nd best fielder after Sir Jadeja.

23 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Rahane is still around and will probably get a game ahead of DK so i wouldn't say DK replaced Rahane. As for Yuvraj over Raina, that's a huge step back. Raina has a pretty good record in England and seeing the kind of pitches around these would've been perfect for Raina. Plus Raina is a gun fielder and I would say he's still our 2nd best fielder after Sir Jadeja.

You're right, I forgot that Rahane was selected in the squad. Hopefully Kohli has the sense not to play him at #4

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

Looks like it - its a short tournament and flat tracks all the way through.

Unfortunately the Ind selectors have picked a time circa 2009 and can't see it ending well.

I agree.this looks like a version of the England teams before they stacked the batting with hitters all the way through.we can't compete if they give us flat wickets.

10 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Yuvraj is a better bet than Dhoni in ODIs. He takes time initially but once he's set, he has the ability to strike over 150 as we have seen the the last bilateral series against England. He's your typical middle order batsman, more in the mould of Kohli. 

14 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Rahane with Yuvi and Raina with Jadhav.Surely an upgrade

bowling is better too with Bumrah for Mohit 

7 hours ago, Lannister said:

Yuvraj is a better bet than Dhoni in ODIs. He takes time initially but once he's set, he has the ability to strike over 150 as we have seen the the last bilateral series against England. He's your typical middle order batsman, more in the mould of Kohli. 

I disagree. Yuvraj can't be relied on to get runs against good bowling. Plus he's a liability as a fielder these days. If I have to choose between the two it would be Dhoni who can bat at 4 and others can bat around him.