Can we afford Sehwag?

kabira

in World Cup line up? His attitude has been major problem..doesnt look to be fittest...His is prodigiously talented, no two ways about it. But can we afford player who has recently been reported of remaining aloof in the squad. I would say if he doesnt get his act together he should not be selected

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? He MUST put some price on his wicket. He cant be a friggin walking wicket everytime. If he scores a 50, he deserves to play in the world cup. OTOH, if he scores a string of single digits, he will put huge pressure on the selectors & the management. They would still want to take Sehwag, but they'll have no justification to fall back to, if Sehwag fails in the world cup.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? If 1 inning of 70 in 40 balls is the criteria to get into WC squad then cant see why sehwag should not be taken. To play for india you need one of two things ability to tonk the ball : consistency, attitude, fitness level are secondary OR you need reputation (records you established 5-10 years ago) with a region biased blind fan base. Sehwag may not be in form but he fulfills other requirements. Selectors gambled by recalling saurav it paid off hopefully sehwag gamble will also pay off.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? He is a very temperamental cricketer - possibly moreso than any other. The kind that constantly needs to be dealt an arm over the shoulder and encouraged. It's no coincidence that he has been batting poorly since Dravid became captain. Ganguly was very close to his players and like a big brother to them, and players like Sehwag were much better suited to playing under such leaders. Under an authoritarian like Greg Chappell he has had to become more professional and i doubt that he gets the kind of attention or motivation from the team than he did when Ganguly was captain. There can't be any other explanation for his poor performances...at his age, he should be at the peak of his career.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? To be honest you can't label someone as a bad element just because his attitude was a bit dodgy during one phase of his cricketing career. A lot of successful cricketers have had a share of sucker attitude at one time or the other. You don't expect everyone to just be perfect all the time. Everyone falters at one time or the other. It is not like he can't change his attitude or he has had this attitude forever. Sometimes you do become disinterested in the profession for a lot of reasons for a specific period of time but they will mend themselves. It was good Sehwag was dropped for a while and that will set him right for future.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Can we afford Sehwag?

He is a very temperamental cricketer - possibly moreso than any other. The kind that constantly needs to be dealt an arm over the shoulder and encouraged. It's no coincidence that he has been batting poorly since Dravid became captain. Ganguly was very close to his players and like a big brother to them' date=' and players like Sehwag were much better suited to playing under such leaders. Under an authoritarian like Greg Chappell he has had to become more professional and i doubt that he gets the kind of attention or motivation from the team than he did when Ganguly was captain. There can't be any other explanation for his poor performances...at his age, he should be at the peak of his career.[/quote'] :wtg: right on the money.. Anu Dadi ka reading bilkul sahi tha is case mein

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? That's brilliant...blame Chappell and Dravid because Sehwag got complacent, that's what it was and it is a trend that has been going on for years, only reccently has it been noticed in the public. Even in teh last world cup he was rubbish, he would consistently score 20-30 and then piss his wicket away, in fact his entire ODI career sucks, he merely averages 31.28...But lets give him a fair chance, nobody doubts he has tremendous talent so lets see if the break enabled him to re-charge his batteries and work himself back into form like Ganguly and Zak did. And why the heck is someone pissing on Uthappa? Dude are you stupid, its not because he made 70 in 41 balls that he's on the team, he also has the highest score of any Indian player in an ODI debut and moreover has scored a myriad of runs this past season, being surpassed on by Tiwary. So Uthappa has definitely earned his spot, lets see if Sehwag earns his.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag?

And why the heck is someone pissing on Uthappa? Dude are you stupid
unlike you ill respond in a civilized manner. Uttapa has scored tons of runs in domestic cricket, key is domestic cricket. Here is what i have against uttapa no international exposure his first full length series outside India will be world cup. I dont believe world cup is the time to field young cricketers. If uttapa is riding on domestic runs then remember both kaif and sehwag returned with 50+ avg during the 4-1 ODI loss in WI where the WC will be played, why arent they in the team ? Had uttapa scored 70 in 70 balls then i have no doubt noone would have been talking about him. If selected for WC i wish uttapa all the very best, he can score tons of runs and shut up people like i would be more than happy but selection of Uttapa will turn out to be mistake just like selecting mongia over vvs in '03.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? Yeah your a real class act... I don't care what Kaif and Sehwag did over a year ago, what have they done reccently? Nothing, Kaif hasn't even played in any of the reccent series and Sehwag has been horrendous. You use the players who are playing well and if you can't see that Uthappa is performing well then maybe you should get your eyes checked. There is all this uproar over getting a better fielding squad and how kaif deserves to be in the squad, well i'm sorry but you can't feature in the team if you can't bat, and kaif has only shown small instances where he bats and not fluently at that...but bats resiliently. Uthappa's explosive nature reminds me much of when Dhoni first came him, and he ranks 3rd in the world so. VVS Laxman does deserve to be in the squad, I totally agree actually -- but he's just nto going to be featured and that's reality.

Re: Can we afford Sehwag? read this on cricinfo

Looking at the Indian batting line-up for the rained-out ODI against Sri Lanka, I see that it features two wicketkeepers and four opening batsmen. Robin Uthappa, Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag. Six opening batsmen if you count Dinesh Karthik?s and Rahul Dravid?s occasional stints at the top. A middle-order made up mainly of openers is certainly innovative. Someone will have to make room for Yuvraj Singh when he?s fit and the likely candidate from this line-up will have to be picked from Uthappa, Sehwag and Karthik because I can?t see Mahendra Singh Dhoni being replaced as first-choice keeper. If Sehwag gets a decent score in the matches against Sri Lanka, he?s safe because he holds out the promise of explosive acceleration and an Indian middle order that has a faintly out of form Dravid and a determinedly responsible Tendulkar needs someone who can push things along. I?d pick Karthik over Uthappa, who seems a splendid prospect but Karthik?s shown temperament and aggression when it?s needed and we can do with that in a World Cup. Also, should Sehwag or Tendulkar be promoted to the opening spot in the course of the tournament, Karthik would be useful down the order. But I?d like to see Tendulkar opening the batting. The only reason we made it to the finals of the last World Cup was because we had the great man making it look easy for the rest. I know he?s four years older (he tell us that often enough) but the old firm, Ganguly & Tendulkar, making our case to the rest of the world, is, for me, an irresistible prospect. If he were to open (or even if he stays at No. 4) I don?t think Dravid should come in at the fall of the first wicket. Dravid?s instinct is to stabilize, to consolidate. The reason the Aussies do so well is that a decent start or an early wicket is followed up by Ponting?s relentless aggression. I know the short answer to that is that Ponting plays for Australia we don?t have any clones handy, but it wouldn?t hurt to send Yuvraj or Karthik in at that number and see if it works. The other argument for having Dravid come in at No. 4 with Tendulkar opening the batting, is that they?d be separated. To have them adjacent to each other at 3 and 4 invites a situation where, with the openers gone, India?s two best batsmen set about retrieving the situation knowing that the dismissal of either might prompt the deluge. Given Dravid?s responsibilities as skipper and anchor and Tendulkar in his present Atlas mode, the likelihood is that we?d be becalmed. So here?s my batting card: Tendulkar and Ganguly to open, Yuvraj, Dravid, Sehwag, Karthik and Dhoni to follow, in that order. Of course, should Chappell and Dravid be willing to think out of the box (with an eye to genius, experience and slip catching), there?s a Hyderabadi batsmen I?d like them to meet?
it wud be great to see sachin and sourav opening again, but the team looks stronger with him at #4