'Explosive cricket' not India's style - Kohli

264125.jpg

Until the final ten overs began, India were scoring at a run-rate of about five an over despite Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma giving them a solid opening with a 138-run stand in the first 25 overs. Against Pakistan, it had been a similar storyline, but the big difference was Yuvraj Singh, Virat Kohli and Hardik Pandya providing them a robust ending with their powerhitting.

Today, all three of those batsmen failed, and despite MS Dhoni bringing forth his best finishing skills, India seemed at least 20 runs short.

Virat Kohli, however, disagreed with such thinking. India, Kohli pointed out, do not play the "explosive" brand of cricket through the middle overs that teams such as England have made a trademark. Instead, he simply felt that Sri Lanka's basmen had been too good on the day.

I think batting did really well. We obviously have to consolidate and then explode in the end, and that's the way we always play.

We don't - we are not a side that always plays explosive cricket throughout the 50 overs, but if a side comes out here and plays cricket with that kind of mindset and executes their shots so well, then you have to take your hat off sometimes and say very well played.

I thought we paced it well. I thought we had enough on the board. In hindsight, when you look back, maybe you think of phases that we could have accelerated, but I don't see that as a major issue.

Maybe we will have to push harder now in the next few games to give us a 20-run cushion. Maybe after seeing a result like this, because we're playing on the same ground as well.

Edited by TNAmarkFrmIndia

The more I see and hear Kohli while captaining India in shorter formats, the more I feel India is going backwards. Fielding standards are going down, India is not playing cutting edge cricket the way it used to and this "head buried in the sand" attitude with backing of the likes of Rahane seems to point in that direction.

India should be looking at England as the template and we've seen in IPL that we do have the players who fit that mould. Now it's up to Kohli and the selectors to move forwards instead of playing an outdated game.

Kohli: We don't - we are not a side that always plays explosive cricket throughout the 50 overs, but if a side comes out here and plays cricket with that kind of mindset and executes their shots so well, then you have to take your hat off sometimes and say very well played

:hysterical: Not sometimes you will have to take your hats off many times if such is attitude.

If current team cannot play explosive cricket then pick one which can. 

I blame Kohli and only Kohli for this loss. The bad team was on him, sub par total was on him and he wants an input on the selection of coach and that was on him. I think he needs to be made captain of only one format. Too much power in one mans hand.

I blame Kohli and only Kohli for this loss. The bad team was on him, sub par total was on him and he wants an input on the selection of coach and that was on him. I think he needs to be made captain of only one format. Too much power in one mans hand.

What Kohli should have done which he didnt as per you? I dnt think just blaming Kohli for the loss is fair. 320 is a decent enough total and most of the time you would back to defend it against Lanka (who few days ago lost to Scotland). I was at the stadium yesterday and it was one of those days when nothing was working for us in the field. Even with overcast cold conditions...the ball was not moving an inch. Perhaps the bowlers should have tried change of pace cutters which they didnt. Kohli as a skipper tried all...bowling part timers, keeping slips nothing worked. The only minute thing we can point out is when that 1st run out happened and a new batsman came...he should have brought his main bowlerd instead of continuing with Jadhav and himself.

Lanka was good yesterday. Thats all about it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk