'Explosive cricket' not India's style - Kohli

Not good words by Kohli. Its almost likes he accepts that this team has only one gear and is unable to adapt.

Same thing was said on the radio by Simon Hughes yesterday "Indian team lacks imagination, never go for innovative shots and generally play a conservative brand of cricket"

This approach is unlikely to change as Kohli has his favorites in the team and the current bunch of selectors live in the 2000s.

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What Kohli should have done which he didnt as per you? I dnt think just blaming Kohli for the loss is fair. 320 is a decent enough total and most of the time you would back to defend it against Lanka (who few days ago lost to Scotland). I was at the stadium yesterday and it was one of those days when nothing was working for us in the field. Even with overcast cold conditions...the ball was not moving an inch. Perhaps the bowlers should have tried change of pace cutters which they didnt. Kohli as a skipper tried all...bowling part timers, keeping slips nothing worked. The only minute thing we can point out is when that 1st run out happened and a new batsman came...he should have brought his main bowlerd instead of continuing with Jadhav and himself.

Lanka was good yesterday. Thats all about it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yuvraj is bad and that has been debated. He wasted 10 balls. Dhoni RR could have been better. Close games are won and lost by a detail here and there and Kohli with his stubborness of playing Yuvraj is responsible. In perfect world you are correct that bowlers could have done better but that was not the case. Imagine the 10 balls Yuvraj wasted. That was the game.

Disappointing...we were expecting a refreshing change from the Dhoni era, now we are getting continuation of Dhoni's legacy just with a different name.

What the hell does he mean explosive cricket is not our style?

In 2011 we had players in our line up like Sehwag Sachin Raina Yusuf Pathan Yuvraj Dhoni  who 5 years back were all considered explosive-so why did this style change?

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Disappointing...we were expecting a refreshing change from the Dhoni era, now we are getting continuation of Dhoni's legacy just with a different name.

In 2011 we had players in our line up like Sehwag Sachin Raina Yusuf Pathan Yuvraj Dhoni  who 5 years back were all considered explosive-so why did this style change?

Maybe because somebody is still giving his valuable inputs :giggle: 

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I love it when you moan about everything :elefant: 

34 minutes ago, maniac said:

Image result for believe in the process

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What Kohli should have done which he didnt as per you? I dnt think just blaming Kohli for the loss is fair. 320 is a decent enough total and most of the time you would back to defend it against Lanka (who few days ago lost to Scotland). I was at the stadium yesterday and it was one of those days when nothing was working for us in the field. Even with overcast cold conditions...the ball was not moving an inch. Perhaps the bowlers should have tried change of pace cutters which they didnt. Kohli as a skipper tried all...bowling part timers, keeping slips nothing worked. The only minute thing we can point out is when that 1st run out happened and a new batsman came...he should have brought his main bowlerd instead of continuing with Jadhav and himself.

Lanka was good yesterday. Thats all about it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1. On a personal level, Poor batting failure on a flat track against ordinary bowling.
  2. Stubborn blind refusal to adapt to the conditions and recognize what is a par score.
  3. Poor tactical leadership defending 320.
  4. Didn't have a second slip for Bhuvi during the power play - easy catch went for 4 runs - Bhuvi was bowling beautifully, and you always have to go for wickets early in the game, especially on flat tracks.   SL had already lost 1 at the time.  No reason not to give Bhuvi that 2nd slip.
  5. Misuse of bowling resources demonstrating a lack of Plan B once Jadeja got smacked at 9 RPO.   Mendis at one point, hit 3 successive boundaries and a 6 - all at the same spot - vacant mid-wicket.  Maybe Kuptaan Kohli could have put a man out there you think?  
  6. He should have shown awareness of Yadav's propensity to leak runs later in the game - should have used a couple of his overs up in the middle. May even have gotten a wicket.   

Sure Lanka was really good.  They executed a low percentage chase very well.  Hit some shots that on another day, could have been wickets.  More power to them.  But let's not pretend that Kuptaan Kohli is blameless in all this.  

10 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

Quite an enigma here.  He is a confident, aggressive, go-for-the-jugular captain in Tests, but don't see it in his ODI captaincy.  Whatsup with that?

Answer is simple. Tests and shorter formats are worlds apart and Kohli is a pretty poor shorter format captain. We saw it in Asia Cup 2014, in the recent Eng odi series and have seen it in IPL over the years where RCB has underachieved under Kohli's captaincy. Kohli is a decent captain in Tests coz he has time to make changes but in shorter format the game moves way too quickly and you don't have the luxury to rectify your mistakes like Tests.

As an example, Kohli didn't bowl Jadeja against Aus for nearly a session in 2nd Test despite Jaddu being the best bowler on show. And when Jaddu did come on he picked up a wicket. In Tests we got away coz you sometimes have time to recover. Now look back at y'day's match where someone like Umesh didn't bowl a single over in the middle overs despite him being our wkt taker and p*ss poor at the death, or take the IPL match where MI were 10/4 chasing 140 odd on a slowish pitch. Kohli didn't bring in his main spinner Chahal to finish off the match but played defensively just like y'day and the game was lost. Other cases would be where Eng nearly chased 371 against India where some of the bowling changes were mind boggling and same was the case in that Asia Cup match against Pak where Ashwin, a spinner, was given the last over against a hack like Afridi.

I feel Kohli has a plan before the match begins. If things go his way everything looks great a la Pak match but when things don't go his way, he can't think on the fly and adjust quickly. In Tests (refer Jadeja not being bowled) it may not hurt all the time, but in shorter formats this lack of adjusting on the fly will come back and bite you.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

I know you will not agree , but ..

We did play explosive cricket under Dhoni , but unfortunately for our fans being explosive is talking trash to media and giving Mc BC gaalis in the name of Passion . 

As for the 2011 side , the big difference is our opener . Dhonis worst mistake as a captain was to offer Rohit sharma the opening slot . We have sucked as a batting unit ever since and we will continue to do so . After the first match I pointed out , we will get screwed on a day Dhawan struggles and we saw exactly that inspite of that this guy would not change his batting approach . 

Like I have said , just replace this guy with even parthiv patel this will look like a different side . 

4 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

NZ bowlers showing that you need pace and seam movement to attack and get wickets.

Not our type of containment bowlers :facepalm:

I thought Umesh was supposed to play that role :dontknow: Bhuvi had already picked up the dangerman Dickwella early on and if Umesh had managed to pick up even one in his 1st spell, it would've been a different match.

1 minute ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I thought Umesh was supposed to play that role :dontknow: Bhuvi had already picked up the dangerman Dickwella early on and if Umesh had managed to pick up even one in his 1st spell, it would've been a different match.

Bhuvi would have had 2 if Kuptaan Aggro would have kept a 2nd slip in place.   Man of the Match Mendis would have been out in the 9th over.  

Kumar to Mendis, FOUR, wafts away from the body, and the outside edge flies past first slip's right. Would have been gobbled up by second slip

2 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

I know you will not agree , but ..

We did play explosive cricket under Dhoni , but unfortunately for our fans being explosive is talking trash to media and giving Mc BC gaalis in the name of Passion . 

As for the 2011 side , the big difference is our opener . Dhonis worst mistake as a captain was to offer Rohit sharma the opening slot . We have sucked as a batting unit ever since and we will continue to do so . After the first match I pointed out , we will get screwed on a day Dhawan struggles and we saw exactly that inspite of that this guy would not change his batting approach . 

Like I have said , just replace this guy with even parthiv patel this will look like a different side . 

I'm beginning to say what you mean. I would rather take an explosive start at the top a la Sehwag than consolidation. Coz it's easier for middle over to keep up the ante when the RR is already high. I guess we need someone like Pant at the top of the order who gives us quick starts. We can't hope for Rohit to get himself in and then take on bowlers coz if he fails or gets out after playing too many balls, we are doomed. A quickfire start at the top (say 30 odd off 20 deliveries) will allow us the luxury to always be ahead of the game.