Why did we choose to bowl first on such a flat pitch ?

-- Pakistan's batting is weak and can collapse while chasing a large total

-- Large total can be set by weak batting lineups if they bat first on flat pitch....because there is no scoreboard pressure.

-- We won't have the chance of applying scoreboard pressure on Pakistan on a flat pitch, by putting up a large score 

-- Their bowling unit is better than their batting and would be perform better under pressure in the 2nd innings compared to their batting.

We have been unable to take advantage of the weak Pakistani batting by letting them bat first on a very flat pitch.

Edited by express bowling
13 minutes ago, express bowling said:

-- Large total can be set by weak batting lineups if they bat first on flat pitch....because there is no scoreboard pressure.

-- We won't have the chance of applying scoreboard pressure on Pakistan on a flat pitch, by putting up a large score 

-- Their bowling unit is better than their batting and would be perform better under pressure in the 2nd innings compared to their batting.

We have been unable to take advantage of the weak Pakistani batting by letting them bat first on a very flat pitch.

Biggest reason:  Quite difficult for a team batting first to determine what's a par score batting first.   

Sure, we gave Pak first dibs on a belter, and 2 of our primary bowlers had quite a bad day at the office -Bumrah and Ash.  But I don't fault the decision.   Let's not be hind-sight armchair captains.   

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Biggest reason:  Quite difficult for a team batting first to determine what's a par score batting first.   

Sure, we gave Pak first dibs on a belter, and 2 of our primary bowlers had quite a bad day at the office -Bumrah and Ash.  But I don't fault the decision.   Let's not be hind-sight armchair captains.   

Batting first on flat pitches is pretty standard strategy. Wanted it after we won the toss. Not saying it on hindsight.

Just now, express bowling said:

Batting first on flat pitches is pretty standard strategy. Wanted it after we won the toss. Not saying it on hindsight.

OK.  Agree to disagree then. Until today, Pakistan had given no indication of being capable of getting anywhere near 300 even if batting first.  A sub-par total would de-fang the capable Pakistan attack even more than a flat pitch.   Anyway, let's leave it at that.  I have a lot of room for your opinion - one of the better posters around.

20 minutes ago, cric_fan said:

Look, it was the correct decision..Sarf wanted to bowl first too.

The difference is that Ind bowlers have come up against a resiliant Pak side.

Ind can still chase any total.

Its your day, my man! you are winning this :)

The only upside of all this is, that I just found out Sarfaraz is half Indian, that too, he has his roots in UP and Bihar. His mom is an Indian. Was wondering why he plays fearless cricket :P

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The decision was not too bad but the selections this CT have been horrendous. You need genuine quicks to get you wickets on these sorta pitches and we select 2 spinners and bowl Bumrah with the new ball?Utter rubbish strategy. This is dhonis legacy and Kohli is continuing with these tactics. 

Its your day, my man! you are winning this :)

The only upside of all this is, that I just found out Sarfaraz is half Indian, that too, he has his roots in UP and Bihar. His mom is an Indian. Was wondering why he plays fearless cricket :P

Not over yet. No way.

Game has changed. This is not 2003 world cup final time.

You can chase anything down.

India can chase this down and at the same time throw their wickets and lose, doesn't change the fact that India are great chasers and that trying to chase in finals isn't a wrong decision after having been so successful.

53 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Game has changed. This is not 2003 world cup final time.

You can chase anything down.

India can chase this down and at the same time throw their wickets and lose, doesn't change the fact that India are great chasers and that trying to chase in finals isn't a wrong decision after having been so successful.

Yes...We may still chase this total.

But it is easier to dominate a match on a flat pitch by putting a really big total on the board.

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Yes...We may still chase this total. Infact, I expect us to do so.

But it is easier to dominate a match on a flat pitch by putting a really big total on the board.

Yeah, lets hope we do. Yeah, like I have said, if you are feeling good about your batting then you should always bat first. But I think kohli is feeling good about his batting in chase.

Lets see now.