Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

The ICC Women's World Cup | England & Wales 2017

32 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

This standard from the  girls will not be enough against Australia and NZ. They have to improve their bowling and fielding if they want to progress from the semi finals

Today a little dip but girls are playing fantastic cricket. Only fielding especially catches are concern. 

Trust Indian women cricket team more than men nowadays. We are winning this sh!t. :isalute:

57 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

This standard from the  girls will not be enough against Australia and NZ. They have to improve their bowling and fielding if they want to progress from the semi finals

They have to be more aggressive while bowling. Take some risks. Put some close in fielders.

Can't bank on containg them.

5 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

They also have to improve batting. At least they made right decision to replace Meshram with krishnamurthy, we already saw it work to some degree. The batting has faded since Mandhana is not able to get the team quick starts.

Interesting article on Gap between Women's and Men's cricket - http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1104475/how-far-can-women-s-cricket-go

It is amazing amount of work being done in Women's cricket in countries like England and Australia. No wonder these countries going to be leading for some time to come. 

Women's cricket has a very long way to go. apart from inherent differences due to reasons of strength and stamina Women's cricket is far -far behind than Men's in matter of number of players, matches being played, money and facilities. It will take lot many years just to reach level of Women's basketball,  soccer or Tennis in terms of professionalism etc. 

But I have seen a big change in last 5 years. I personally believe in India we need larger pool of players playing lot many more matches at all levels. We need IPL and various other top level competitions here or else we will always be far behind the top teams. 

On 05/07/2017 at 10:43 PM, Vijy said:

They also have to improve batting. At least they made right decision to replace Meshram with krishnamurthy, we already saw it work to some degree. The batting has faded since Mandhana is not able to get the team quick starts.

You were right.. after today's debacle they will get thrashed by Aus and NZ and and instead SA will take the 4th spot due to their superior run rate.

India can only beat other weak asian teams and maybe a one off fluke win against the BIG 3..

2 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

You were right.. after today's debacle they will get thrashed by Aus and NZ and and instead SA will take the 4th spot due to their superior run rate.

India can only beat other weak asian teams and maybe a one off fluke win against the BIG 3..

No. We will win against NZ. :dance: Not sure against Australia. Bad game out of the way early. :yay:

10 minutes ago, Pollack said:

No. We will win against NZ. :dance: Not sure against Australia. Bad game out of the way early. :yay:

I just saw some highlights.. the shots played by the top and middle order were atrocious. getting out trying to slog when the team has lost wickets.. who is coaching these women?

Mandhana and Harman not clicking. 

SA is on odd points so NRR unlikely to come into effect.  Their remaining games are against SL and Australia while  India's games are vs NZ and Aus.

NZ vs England/India

Eng vs Aus/NZ/WI

SA vs SL/Aus

So important matches ahead.  India likely needs to win 1 or hope the others like SA/ENG lose all their matches

39 minutes ago, PBN said:

Mandhana and Harman not clicking. 

SA is on odd points so NRR unlikely to come into effect.  Their remaining games are against SL and Australia while  India's games are vs NZ and Aus.

NZ vs England/India

Eng vs Aus/NZ/WI

SA vs SL/Aus

So important matches ahead.  India likely needs to win 1 or hope the others like SA/ENG lose all their matches

Going by teams on paper

IND are likely to loose both their games

SA will win against SL

Now only hope is that NZ and AUS both beat ENG.

Fantastic tournament so far. I went to see the SA game. It wasn't a win but wanted to go support the girls, who've played really well so far. I wouldn't rule India out just yet. If Smriti fires, we can beat both NZ and AUS. Also, a track that is a little slower will really aid our spinners. looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

What is up with Mithali ???

First she committed the cardinal “VIRAT KOHLI MISTAKE” of winning the toss and opting to send the South Africans in to bat in the last match.

What happened  ??..........an Indian carbon copy of the Kohli  Pakistan collapse….this time against Von Niekerk (pretty girl and good batsman ) South Africans !

Now we have Mithali making 60 odd at a run every two balls .

Why was Mithali batting like a snail ?? 

I expect Australia  to win this easily.

Where does this put India in the tournament ??   Would they be out …like Mr. Kohli’s  Champion trophy team??

3 hours ago, Pollack said:

We got this in bag.Harmanpreet would cover up for low run rate in the end. 

i dunno, harman hasn't played a big innings this whole tourney. small cameos yes

india need a good start from smriti

Edited by PBN

16 minutes ago, PBN said:

i'm afraid the game's gone

Our run rate is also going to take a hit. We already have a low one compared to the other teams on the top of table, and now it might go negative. :facepalm: 

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

She's actually from Sangli.  But just like all South Indians are madrasi for some folks.....

The Bombay hate on this board is getting tiresome.

yes can we not do this **** for Women's cricket also. Game is barely finding its feet. It is still big city centred. These girls are doing the best they can. We have to accept them for what they are. We are not world beaters. Good thing is we are getting some really good young talent like Mandhana and Deepti but they are obviously not fully formed and will be very inconsistent. 

I wonder what plans BCCI has of progress for our Women's cricket. We are clearly atleast a decade behind the top teams. While all focus has been on coaching for Men's team Women's team is in need for some top level Coaching staff for women's team. 

Good thing is there is some talent out there but to start with you need Coach who is going to push the team much harder. We can be lot more smarter with our tactics and approach. The intent is really missing to build a total while batting for almost half of the innings. At 40 over mark we cannot be scrambling to reach somewhere close to 200. More positive players like Kaur and Veda need to be given more time as well everyone others need to be pushed harder. Mithali Raj is a class act and pure batting talent but she is basically like Gavaskar. One class player who will ensure we do not humiliate ourselves. We need need overall positivity in or approach. Look at players like Lanning and Sciver and they are clearly next generation players. Their focus is similar to people like Kohli. 

Apart from Coaching and change in approach we need big structural boosts. More professional domestic leagues (Women's IPL?). Can BCCI commit to investing in top level coaches and infrastructure for women's team. Sadly I don't see that happening in our star focussed board which needs to be lot more progressive. 

Our team has done well at times due to individual efforts and basic support for game in the country. Girls have achieved these feats it inspite of their environment. 

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

After such a good start we are imploding now. But at least these matches are more interesting than when Kohli and co take the field. Refreshing to see youngsters get a chance here. Mandhana needs to fire against NZ, else no chance. 

I don't think its an implosion - this team is clearly 5th best in Women's cricket - They did well to take a game from England early in the tournament.  And it will be an achievement for them to make the semi-finals, especially if they beat NZ along the way.   

15 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I don't think its an implosion - this team is clearly 5th best in Women's cricket - They did well to take a game from England early in the tournament.  And it will be an achievement for them to make the semi-finals, especially if they beat NZ along the way.   

Yes these conditions put SA ahead of us which is kind of at similar level. But they have performed really well this tournament with their pacers coming good. They have one of the best fast bowling unit. 

3 hours ago, CoverDrive said:

Yes these conditions put SA ahead of us which is kind of at similar level. But they have performed really well this tournament with their pacers coming good. They have one of the best fast bowling unit. 

SA appear to have better 'power' batting than India as well, as long as spin is not too strong a factor.   Indian batting is over-reliant on Mandhana and Kaur for boundary hitting.   Rest are accumulators.  Mythical Mithali gets a lot of love, but she's like an aging Dhoni - not quite the batter she used to be.   No wonder we are being outgunned by a distance by the likes of Aus and SA.   

"In these conditions", i.e. where we can't maximize the utility of spinners to keep the scores down, this team is nowhere near top 3.   Arguably even West Indies could give India a tough game, but they are the ones that have imploded this tournament.  Less said the better about SL and Pak anyway.  At best honest triers.  

Overall, a Semi-Final appearance is about all that can be expected.  And then, who knows...

26 minutes ago, sandeep said:

SA appear to have better 'power' batting than India as well, as long as spin is not too strong a factor.   Indian batting is over-reliant on Mandhana and Kaur for boundary hitting.   Rest are accumulators.  Mythical Mithali gets a lot of love, but she's like an aging Dhoni - not quite the batter she used to be.   No wonder we are being outgunned by a distance by the likes of Aus and SA.   

"In these conditions", i.e. where we can't maximize the utility of spinners to keep the scores down, this team is nowhere near top 3.   Arguably even West Indies could give India a tough game, but they are the ones that have imploded this tournament.  Less said the better about SL and Pak anyway.  At best honest triers.  

Overall, a Semi-Final appearance is about all that can be expected.  And then, who knows...

We have a fair chance against New Zealand. Mandhana :pray:

Veda Krishnamurthy played an absolute blinder. Not only is she a great fielder but also a hard hitting batsman, the way she went ballistic after over 44 was a sight to behold. Well played Mithali Raj, felt that in the earlier matches she was playing a bit too conservatively. Great to see Kaur spend some time in the middle. Epic victory for us, I never thought we would beat NZ, let alone by 185 runs !!!!

Against Australia we need to be aggressive. 220-230 will never work against them. We must go all out and even if we collapse, never mind. Conservative cricket will never work against Lanning and Perry. Hopefully we bat 1st, they have lost most of their matches chasing 250+ in the last 4 years. If they bat 1st I guess it is game over for us, Mithali can't repeat the stupidity of Kohli is she wins the toss. They hardly ever lose batting 1st. Minimum they will score 270 against us and no way is any team(including England) chasing 270 against Australia. On a good day they will set a target of 330 and a massacre will ensue. We need to bast 1st and hopefully score around 260-270. Come on girls !!! I want a RSA-India final. 

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.