Anil Kumble steps down as coach

10 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

@maniac @veer read this. Again this could also not be true in the end but the point is we can't blame a plauer for coach leaving when we do not know facts. I don't know the facts either, but neither does anyone else on site other than @Malcolm Merlyn who is sole secret bcci source on site

Players don't have a choice but to back the captain.  Especially one who has been clearly anointed as the next Indian superstar after Tendy, and is going nowhere anytime soon.   

Agreed that we don't know all the facts, but as many have said repeatedly on this thread - Kumble brings a 20 year career and track record of being righteous.   And his cricket brain was a resource to this team.  I truly believed AK would be the right sort of ballast to high-flying VK.   The Rohit Sharma-Chet Pujara saga clearly shows that there are cases where VK needs someone in his corner who's not afraid to challenge him when he's about to cut off the branch he's sitting on.   

Whatever the facts may be - this is a sad event in our cricket, and a sad day for Indian Cricket fans.  

I haven't come across this sorta news.  And secondly with Kohli getting such a superstar treatment from the Media and the fans - This is exactly how you build factions in the dressing room.  Even a small disagreement between Kohli and Kumble could have led to groups and we all know that coaches are let go and not the captain thus most players would have no choice but to say yes to Kohli and side with him.

If Kumble have had a disagreement with Yuvi or Pandya or Dhawan - would he quit ? No

That's where Captain should show his leadership and stand up for his players .However lesser in stature they are to the coach.

Can't let them be intimated by a coach.

Regardless of how big a legend Kumble is as a player , as a coach he is far less worth than even a player like Pandya.Its the players that matter most .Coach should carry them along not intimidate them.

And let's not forget Kumble initially had to be appointed by breaking the guidelines and rules BCCI had set for appointing a coach.Why? Because he was a big name player.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Thats all what one feels by seeing his agression on field but we don't exactly know.

Remember the great Dhoni? Even he used to pass comments on seniors and was criticized for being very arrogant here on ICF around 2009 etc, if you were here on the forum then you would remember.

Oh the irony of the Dhoni-bashers making up baseless gossip about MS's unchecked powers and captaincy attitude, and going overboard singing VK's praises, only for this to happen.  

13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

@maniac @veer read this. Again this could also not be true in the end but the point is we can't blame a plauer for coach leaving when we do not know facts. I don't know the facts either, but neither does anyone else on site other than @Malcolm Merlyn who is sole secret bcci source on site

I am not even blaming Kohli for entire spat..but when you say give him puppet coach so we'll know if he is good captain is total BS of a logic.. Indian cricket doesnt belong to Kohli.. checks and balances are necessary..

12 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Arey bhai Amazin brain and media hungry no one has said, unless you read it then quote me there.

Kumble is a legend and chanpion and knows the game well. Just that there could be a thing that some of his selections are not what are right for India? I mean how do we know which were kumble's selections and which were Kohli? I am not even blaming Kumble, just that this sudden love and hatred for either is what needs to stop as we as fans don't have any idea about which player supported whose selection and who influenced in the toss call etc.

You really think Kumble would have forced selecting Rohit and Dhawan over Pujara and VJ for a test match ? I honestly dont want to blindly criticise either without knowing the facts , but if the issue was selection Iam 100% on Kumbles side here .

Ruke of Thumb: Right now, India needs Kohli more than Kumble. And hence I think Kumble correctly resigned.

Logic that Kumble and Kohli have to be best mates or Kumble is intimidating to most players sounds fake and hollow. Al lof Indian Cricketers are Professionals. Act like one.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Ne 

Whatever the facts may be - this is a sad event in our cricket, and a sad day for Indian Cricket fans.  

This, its clearly sad. And like you mentioned, Kohli isn't the perfect captain and needs help, decision to sit out pujara was verg wrong whoever it was but again we don't know.

I do not agree with many of Kohli's decisions at the end just like I did not support many of Dhoni or Ganguly or Azharuddin's decisions. 

No one is perfect and no one will ever be perfect, you can't ever be perfect but Kumble's departure is a sad one considering he has been a real match winner of India and knew how to wins game for India.

14 minutes ago, Lannister said:

I'd say do not select any head coach, give Kohli the freedom he wants and tell him he has till 2019 World cup. Let's see what he manages to achieve. 

As for whoever leaked this sensitive information ahead of a major tournament, a thorough investigation need to be done, find the culprit(s) and slap those bitc*es with lawsuits. 

As for Kumble, he need to somehow get inside BCCI and clean up all the cr@p inside the system. 

Kumble walked out of KSCA also remember for the same carp , he couldnt do much at the state level unlikely he can do anyting with BCCI  

4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

That's where Captain should show his leadership and stand up for his players .However lesser in stature they are to the coach.

Regardless of how big a legend Kumble is as a player , as a coach he is far less worth than even a player like Pandya.Its the players that matter most .Coach should carry them along not intimidate them.

And let's not forget Kumble initially had to be appointed by breaking the guidelines and rules BCCI had set for appointing a coach.Why? Because he was a big name player.

But firstly there is no proof of the intimidation. Secondly , a coach's job is to push his players - what you might consider "intimidation" may be the normal level of expectancy in many teams in many sports.  You are playing international level cricket and if you are getting intimidated by then problem lies in you not the coach.   This "intimidation" sensationalism is a hype created to justify the ouster of Kumble.  Virat looks 10 times more intimidating than Kumble - if our players cannot handle some heat from a coach - they are in the wrong job ...

Why Kumble was appointed ?  There were plenty big name players around -  Because he had the credentials and success and the adequacy for the role -  We all know the adequacy Kohli has for the role he has been put into ...

You guys are forgetting that out on the field its the captain and his players who have to play and perform. If the captain and the players aren't happy with the coach then what's the point of making a bad situation worse. 

If india had won the final and kumble still had to resign then no one here would have had much of an issue, you guys are extrapolating big time

8 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

So Kumble was too big and had to go.  Question is, what happens if VK gets "too big" and makes decisions that are not the best for the team?  Who will reign him in?  

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

This, its clearly sad. And like you mentioned, Kohli isn't the perfect captain and needs help, decision to sit out pujara was verg wrong whoever it was but again we don't know.

I do not agree with many of Kohli's decisions at the end just like I did not support many of Dhoni or Ganguly or Azharuddin's decisions. 

No one is perfect and no one will ever be perfect, you can't ever be perfect but Kumble's departure is a sad one considering he has been a real match winner of India and knew how to wins game for India.

Dude, I know you are a big-time Kohli backer and all that, and it would be difficult for you to accept any wrongdoing on VK's part unless there's overwhelming evidence.  

But this is not just sad because of Kumble's stature.  Its sad because its an instance where all the available information points to to a bad decision being made to satisfy a single player's personal preference.   The tragedy is not just about Kumble.  

Good decision by kumble, he is a honest trier damn sure he would have wanted to play umesh/shami in the final over ashwin, but the stubbornness of kohli highly influenced by that grey beard man has rejected that idea!! Which may be the main cause their rift and his resignation!!!

7 minutes ago, veer said:

I am not even blaming Kohli for entire spat..but when you say give him puppet coach so we'll know if he is good captain is total BS of a logic.. Indian cricket doesnt belong to Kohli.. checks and balances are necessary..

You know exactly why I amswered that after reading some nonsense from many posters who were ready to blame Kohli. 

Ideally puppet isn't needed but someone who accepts what captain wants to do.

You know what I mean? Like let the captain pick certain players so he can use them accordingly in the match situations And also at times allow him to make a call on his own like batting first or second etc.

Now he might have allowed Kohli to make the call in the final or might not have, we are not sure. 

Tactically, Kohli is frequently lost. And that's often attributed to him being new at the role,  defense that's becoming increasingly untenable with him accumulating more and more matches as captain. It does seem that with strategies he needs someone to hold his hand, and I would have thought Anil would have been the right guy to do that.

That was not to be, I suppose.

Agreed. Most people agree that Captain will have final say in most of the things. But Coach is just a check and if he has a different perspective, Kohli need to learn to filter it out instead of making into personal issue. Looking at Kohli's reaction from time to time, he definitely needs to bring some maturity with respect to other people. The way everything turned out does not look professional at all. Hope everyone learns from it.

So lets give a tribute thread to Jumbo. What does the stats say about his record as Coach as compared to others?

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

You guys are forgetting that out on the field its the captain and his players who have to play and perform. If the captain and the players aren't happy with the coach then what's the point of making a bad situation worse. 

If india had won the final and kumble still had to resign then no one here would have had much of an issue, you guys are extrapolating big time

Unfortunately, short of the primary people involved reaching a mutually acceptable compromise, there wasn't any other alternative here.  So all things considered, probably the only "less wrong" call that was left to make.  

To make an analogy that would be closer to home for you - We don't want any Imran Khans in Indian Cricket.  I believe Indian cricket is best served over the short and long term, by staying away from the Imran Khan Model - I know that he is as close to an unquestionable God-like figure for Pakistan as far as cricket is considered.  But I think that sort of one-man power center is extremely harmful to Indian Cricket.  

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Dude, I know you are a big-time Kohli backer and all that, and it would be difficult for you to accept any wrongdoing on VK's part unless there's overwhelming evidence.  

But this is not just sad because of Kumble's stature.  Its sad because its an instance where all the available information points to to a bad decision being made to satisfy a single player's personal preference.   The tragedy is not just about Kumble.  

Dude when did I say Kohli is right dude? Kohli is wrong and kumble is wrong, dude.:giggle: