I predict that cricket will cease to exist in next 25 years

1) It's seen as a third-world game. Already England and Australia are losing their interest in the sport, based on the trend of their recent performances. I don't see any developed country picking up the sport because there is no prestige on the line. What is there to accomplish in beating a developing country?

2) People follow cricket not because it is popular, but cricket is popular because people follow it. And the reason people follow it is because it is the only sport in the current Indian setup that ensures a decent dopamine hit - i.e. cricket is rewarding (we're competitive in it). As India becomes competitive in the first-world sports, like football or tennis or golf or athletics, people will get better dopamine hit from watching India compete with first-world countries like US, Germany, etc. So, cricket following is bound to slump as we progress economically and develop competency in the first-world sports.

1) It's seen as a third-world game. Already England and Australia are losing their interest in the sport, based on the trend of their recent performances. I don't see any developed country picking up the sport because there is no prestige on the line. What is there to accomplish in beating a developing country?

2) People follow cricket not because it is popular, but cricket is popular because people follow it. And the reason people follow it is because it is the only sport in the current Indian setup that ensures a decent dopamine hit - i.e. cricket is rewarding (we're competitive in it). As India becomes competitive in the first-world sports, like football or tennis or golf or athletics, people will get better dopamine hit from watching India compete with first-world countries like US, Germany, etc. So, cricket following is bound to slump as we progress economically and develop competency in the first-world sports.

Lol In this world , team games like football , baseball, rugby , American football etc are most popular.If you think

Indians will Switch to boring Golf or Athletics which are not spectator friendly then I don't know what to say

Only football can replace cricket but for that you need extremely fit men which most Asians are not , from past 100 years hardly any world class footballer is produced .So thinking that India will produce 15 world class footballers in 25 years is just a day dream

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

t20 will be good, tests ok. ODI will surely die. Yes there is a degree of lack of value in playing cricket. You play Zimbabwe/pakistan/afganistan/bangladesh a set of countries not necessarily known for being best in many things. Even the world beater team is India , which does pathetically in other sports and in olympics.

2 hours ago, dark_profile said:

As long as we are bad in other sports. That's what my point is. As we grow and cross the success threshold in other sports that hold more prestige, the upcoming generation will start picking up those sports. Cricket will die a slow death.

it is already lots of kids pickup basketball and soccer these days.

2 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Lol In this world , team games like football , baseball, rugby , American football etc are most popular.If you think

Indians will Switch to boring Golf or Athletics which are not spectator friendly then I don't know what to say

Only football can replace cricket but for that you need extremely fit men which most Asians are not , from past 100 years hardly any world class footballer is produced .So thinking that India will produce 15 world class footballers in 25 years is just a day dream

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

what a rubbish post. Who said that asians are not fit? maybe east asians. You are talking as if all Europeans are fit. The thing is they have football culture right from the beginning while we do not. India does not produce world class football players because indians are not interested in football. But if indians start to take interest in football then they can also produce world class players.

Hockey also requires fit men and india had a world beater hockey team in the past and has a decent team now. So the question of physical fitness does not arise here. It's the matter of interest and culture. India never had interest nor the culture for football.

Edited by chaman jhinga
5 hours ago, dark_profile said:

I don't think so ..some amount of viewership will decline as other Olympic sports and football start getting their dues ..leagues like pro kabaddi , ISL & HIL along with global football leagues also will get more viewership as more Indians travel globally and uplifted economically..However, Cricket  in any form (T20 + ODI + Tests) will be the dominant sport in India by some margin in next 50-100 years to come

20 minutes ago, MechEng said:

So do you follow a sport because it is fun or do you want dopamine hits of a third world country beating a developed country?

Fun <- Reward <- Dopamine

Under the hood, it's majorly dopamine. Would it be fun if you continue to be pathetic in some endeavor? Fun comes from the rewarding nature of the endeavor, and reward is linked to dopamine release.

I can't highly recommend this book to all Indian cricket fans: The Secret Lives of Sports Fans

Edited by dark_profile

We love cricket because its the only sport where we can beat the goras(in ODIs, T20s and in tests at home only). :dontknow: 

Unless we ourselves become goras or become good at other sports like soccer or tennis, we will continue to watch cricket. Both those scenarios have no chance of happening.

Edited by NareshK
22 minutes ago, NareshK said:

We love cricket because its the only sport where we can beat the goras(in ODIs, T20s and in tests at home only). :dontknow: 

Unless we ourselves become goras or become good at other sports like soccer or tennis, we will continue to watch cricket. Both those scenarios have no chance of happening.

what? really? Do you want to say that we do not beat goras in hockey?

Most likely test cricket will die off (I am really crossing my fingers for that to happen - definitely not a fan of it)

T20 will definitely be a bigger thing, I won't be surprised it 10-10 becomes a thing. ODI is most likely in trouble aswell. I foresee a lot of domestic leagues like IPL to pop up and less country v country.

12 hours ago, Vilander said:

t20 will be good, tests ok. ODI will surely die. Yes there is a degree of lack of value in playing cricket. You play Zimbabwe/pakistan/afganistan/bangladesh a set of countries not necessarily known for being best in many things. Even the world beater team is India , which does pathetically in other sports and in olympics.

Once in 4 year World Cup will never die.

Maybe bilateral series will turn into T20 not the 50 over World Cup.