'Hindization' - Passports to be in both English and HINDI: Sushma Swaraj

Rohit S. Ambani

4 minutes ago, zen said:

I don't see this as an exercise to force things on ppl

As I mentioned in one of the posts - Eng and Hindi are already official lang of the union government. In relation to this thread, there is no harm if the union govt feels the need to have both the lang on Bharati passports 

They were many news before about this, That's why Hindi imposition topic is widely spoken now.

About passports, If you're from 3rd tier city in Kerala/TN/AP if they don't understand English and Hindi, How can they understand what is written in passport? unless passport has state regional language based on the people home state.

I was in Delhi last month and a guy asked me for directions to 'Kendriye Sachivalya' (Central Secretariat), I had no clue whatsoever that Secretariat is called Sachivalya in pure Hindi. 

Very few states in India can boast to speak unadulterated Hindi, rest speak 'Hindustani', which has heavy Urdu and Punjabi influence thanks to Hindi movie industry dominated by Punjabi's and Mohajirs who migrated from Pakistan. I think MP is one such state where people speak good Hindi. Don't start with Haryanvi Hindi, they use 60% Punjabi words and dance on Punjabi songs. Bihari's have their own flavour. If you get my drift. One finds a growing ease in recreating the language to suit one's culture, which is a very hodge-podge culture, and one that's also comfortable in its own dysfunctionality. Hinurdulabi (Hindi+Punjabi+Urdu), for all its occasional breakdowns of communication, is an authentically Indian hybrid.

The Shiv Sena renamed Bombay Mumbai and forces shopkeepers to replace their English signs with Marathi, but its leaders still send their own children to expensive English-medium schools. That is because English is now, more than ever, an essential passport to white-collar jobs.

Edited by Rohit S. Ambani

12 minutes ago, StriKe said:

They were many news before about this, That's why Hindi imposition topic is widely spoken now.

About passports, If you're from 3rd tier city in Kerala/TN/AP if they don't understand English and Hindi, How can they understand what is written in passport? unless passport has state regional language based on the people home state.

Passport is an official document not personal. I guess, it would mention that it is the property of Bharat 

The officials in Bharat would be expected to know at least one of the two languages. Internationally, Eng would be understood by those at the port of entry 

If people are going abroad without understanding Eng, they are likely to get in to trouble bigger than the trouble presented by their inability to read their passorts properly

That some folks in some states don't understand the languages is a not a major issue. Bharat is bigger than individual states 

Edited by zen

Both are official languages and thus, it makes complete sense to have official documents in both languages. More people don't understand English and thus it was unfair for them. Good move by the gov. And this Hindi should be used more often.  Look at Russia, China- even if their politicians can speak English, they choose to not speak it. We need Hindi as a tool to promote our country, culture.

9 minutes ago, zen said:

Passport is an official document not personal. I guess, it would mention that it is the property of Bharat 

The officials in Bharat would be expected to know at least one of the two languages. Internationally, Eng would be understood by those at the port of entry 

If people are going abroad without understanding Eng, they are likely to get in to trouble bigger than the trouble presented by their inability to read their passorts properly

That some folks in some states don't understand the languages is a not a major issue. Bharat is bigger than individual states 

That's the same reason why people prefer English as 2nd language which is more useful in future. :nice:

10 minutes ago, StriKe said:

That's the same reason why people prefer English as 2nd language which is more useful in future. :nice:

Which is why we need to know multiple languages. Outside -> Eng would be widely understood; Inside -> Hindi has a greater potential

There is no this "or" that for me but this "and" that. I would like Sanskrit to be revived as well 

Edited by zen

19 minutes ago, someone said:

Both are official languages and thus, it makes complete sense to have official documents in both languages. More people don't understand English and thus it was unfair for them. Good move by the gov. And this Hindi should be used more often.  Look at Russia, China- even if their politicians can speak English, they choose to not speak it. We need Hindi as a tool to promote our country, culture.

What about other culture? Malayali Culture? Tamil culture? Marathi culture? Telugu culture?

12 minutes ago, StriKe said:

What about other culture? Malayali Culture? Tamil culture? Marathi culture? Telugu culture?

Cow belt (Hindi BIMARU states) would have faced tough battle had Punjabi's (180m) and Bengali's (250m) not partitioned on religious lines. They are substantial along with South Cultures.

Edited by Rohit S. Ambani

6 hours ago, StriKe said:

:rofl::rofl::hysterical:

utsTNas.jpg

Percentage of People Speaking Primary Languages In India [Source -NCLM]

that map is for primary languages. Somebody can for eg have marathi as their mother tongue and still know how to speak hindi.

This map assumes that one person can speak only one language.

Around 60-65% of Indians can speak Hindi as some level. It is the language which can be spoken by the majority.

Provided there is an option for people to read their passports in English, I welcome this move. 

Around 10% of Indians speak English at some level. Therefore the vast majority dont. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20500312

India cannot have translations in all 22 languages for official state documents. Therefore its just practical to have it in English and Hindi. Simple as that. 

6 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

that map is for primary languages. Somebody can for eg have marathi as their mother tongue and still know how to speak hindi.

This map assumes that one person can speak only one language.

Around 60-65% of Indians can speak Hindi as some level. It is the language which can be spoken by the majority.

Provided there is an option for people to read their passports in English, I welcome this move. 

Around 10% of Indians speak English at some level. Therefore the vast majority dont. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20500312

India cannot have translations in all 22 languages for official state documents. Therefore its just practical to have it in English and Hindi. Simple as that. 

Nope, Maybe in North India but definitely not in South India.

We agreed on that

2 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Nope, Maybe in North India but definitely not in South India.

We agreed on that

Within the Indian union. Clearly its not  in the South and people from the South can read their documents in English so they dont have to learn Hindi.

and while Hindi is NOT the national language as of India it is the official language (along with English) of the Central Government. A passport is a document under the administrative doctrine of the Central Gov.

As such anything to do with the Central government must be in both languages from national highways numbering to anything else.

Those who cant and dont want to learn Hindi can make use of English. Its as simple as that and written in the constitution. This way Hindi will not be forced (ie there are other options namely English)

2 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

and while Hindi is NOT the national language as of India it is the official language (along with English) of the Central Government. A passport is a document under the administrative doctrine of the Central Gov.

As such anything to do with the Central government must be in both languages from national highways numbering to anything else.

Those who cant and dont want to learn Hindi can make use of English. Its as simple as that and written in the constitution. This way Hindi will not be forced (ie there are other options namely English)

the kids here forget that passports in the 80s used to be in Hindi and English. the reason centre got rid of it, is because modern security makes passport paper expensive and dual language usage made it one extra page long for info/details. 

Hindi only passports is a dumb idea. Passports don't have an international standard format of information. Making a passport in Hindi will be an own-goal in terms of ease of travel, as you'd have to explain to every immigration official what your DOB is, what is the expiry date, issue date, etc and everytime they are unsatisfied with your answers (which for customs officials is quite a lot), you wait a long while.....

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

the kids here forget that passports in the 80s used to be in Hindi and English. the reason centre got rid of it, is because modern security makes passport paper expensive and dual language usage made it one extra page long for info/details. 

Hindi only passports is a dumb idea. Passports don't have an international standard format of information. Making a passport in Hindi will be an own-goal in terms of ease of travel, as you'd have to explain to every immigration official what your DOB is, what is the expiry date, issue date, etc and everytime they are unsatisfied with your answers (which for customs officials is quite a lot), you wait a long while.....

Its fair to say that we have moved on a lot from the 80s. I dont back Hindi only passports. But i do back Hindi and English passports.

Countries like Canada and Switzerland with multiple languages manage just fine.

36 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Within the Indian union. Clearly its not  in the South and people from the South can read their documents in English so they dont have to learn Hindi.

That's what I'm saying, We don't have to learn Hindi.

Edited by StriKe

looking at the passport there's even room to a 3rd another language. everything is pretty short i.e basic stuff like surname/firstname,etc

p.s the actual personal details are written in english so it defeats the purpose anyways.

Edited by PBN

So long as there are English and Hindi options for documents when it comes to the central gov, its not an issue.

What i do take an issue with is people like the DMK in TN saying its Hindi imposition for eg when even national highways in TN have the texts for eg written in Tamil? I mean a Tamil person in TN can read the vernacular in Tamil and just ignore the Hindi bit. Ie no Tamil person is forced to learn anything.

I was in Switzerland  the french part and everything was written in German as well. The locals I interacted with said they dont speak a word of German but have no issues with German signs being put up as there are also French signs. From what I gather Germans in Switzerland speak German and English as second lang, French in Switzerland speak French and English as second lang and Italians speak Italian and English as second lang, yet there are no signs or anything in English. Its in French German and Italian. It was extremely odd. I could not understand a word of the signs but every local I could speak to in English. 

I mean look at the OP. How exactly is this Hinization when non Hindi speakers have the option of English? Or is he trying to stir things up.

I don't understand this hindi imposition idea. Major India do not speak English, so for them, a case of English imposition. And since when learning or even seeing hindi things hurt a community. Why doesn't the same logic apply with English?

The idea that learning one of our own things, X (eg. Hindi) will cause infighting among ourselves so let's import and use a foreign thing (eg. English) has caused big damages for us. Our own knowledge get redundant and ultimately digested. Another example is holistic education.

Edited by someone

2 hours ago, StriKe said:

And which culture does English represent? English cannot and will never represent India. Hindi is the best tool and the number 1 method to represent us and thus government is right here.