Why does Virat Kohli go out of his way to praise Pakistan and Pakistani players?

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

I mean why not? The problem is between the government not the people. I see no point of having anomosity between the two nations.

I don't think the problem is between govts. Let me prove it to you.

Answer this truly. I think pakistan is illegally occupying Kashmir. Un resolution demands pak to remove troops from gb and muzz and Pak has to get back skahksgam valley and vacate  what do you think ? Me a nutter ?

OP has a point and I have noticed it as well. All those video messages dedicated to Pak fans, video message for Aleem Dar' son, over the top praising of Amir etc. I mean all this is fine as long as he is not a softy on field which exactly he is while playing against Pak. I remember when he was batting in CT Final, Amir went close to him in follow through and gave few looks....in return Kohli just smiled back as if he was apologetic. In general its a good trait in batsmen not to sledge back the bowlers but Kohli is no Sachin. Pretty sure if it was say a Rubel or Faulkner or MJ....he would have thrown a verbal diarrhea of MC/BC. But somehow against Pak...he gets bit timid...not batting wise (he is a beast against them) but as a person. Even in 2015 WC, Sohail Khan started fight against Kohli but got no reaction.

Edited by Austin 3:!6
3 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

OP has a point and I have noticed it as well. All those video messages dedicated to Pak fans, video message for Aleem Dar' son, over the top praising of Amir etc. I mean all this is fine as long as he is not a softy on field which exactly he is while playing against Pak. I remember when he was batting in CT Final, Amir went close to him in follow through and gave few looks....in return Kohli just smiled back as if he was apologetic. In general its a good trait in batsmen not to sledge back the bowlers but Kohli is no Sachin. Pretty sure if it was say a Rubel or Faulkner or MJ....he would have thrown a verbal diarrhea of MC/BC. But somehow against Pak...he gets bit timid...not batting wise (he is a beast against them) but as a person. Even in 2015 WC, Sohail Khan started fight against Kohli but got no reaction.

That actually you can tribute to the fact that we play pak only in big high profile tournaments compare to say Ozzies who we played too frequently.. and den he does have to sell his brand...

4 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

I think this Kashmir topic has nothing to do with how you should treat people on the other side of the boarder. As far as I am concerned cricketers are no different than your average joe who have no say on how there army work. 

Dude, i do not hate pakistani people. Found a lot of them to be normal folks like myself.

But the point is pakistan ( nation, its people, government, civil society, luminaries all of them) covet Kashmir ( Indian territory), they already occupy part of it illegally, they have ceded some part of this illegally sought territory to an other country( China), they are waging a proxy war and covet Indian territory elsewhere as well. 

I do not see any end to this struggle unless ,Pak and India get into a customs union and diminish the significance of physical boundaries to a point that no political upmanship exists. What are the odds of this happening, none what so ever.  

So there will be animosity between the two countries and by extension their people, we can not prevent it. 

Players from every era have been friendly, be it sachin, ganguly era or to this era.

Indians living overseas feel the same about Pakistan we get along great here, just not when India and Pak are playing but other days we get along just like we do with any other person.

We get to experience this live unlike people in both the countries and hence I believe that people back home and in Pakistan see things differently and feel different how Indians are doing good gestures to Padosis

On 6/24/2017 at 4:31 PM, Pollack said:

PR management and building global image. General English, SA and Aussie public would never be in awe of him. So the only nations where he could create craze is subcontinent. 

Because general english, SA and aussie public is not much interested in cricket especially now-a-days. Also they would never openly admit even if they are in awe of him. He has already created craze in subcontinent.

the thing is he has enemies in gora teams so he is trying to compensate it by making friends in pakistani team. Also he is punjabi so that punjabi brotherhood also comes into the picture. Not just kohli but even many other indian cricketers use to be all goody goody with the pakistani players in the past. This mentality is found even in general indians who try to be nice with even the enemies. Even the minorities are pestered so much in india not only by the govt but also by the general majority. Only in India you see minorities many times behaving like majority and majority behaving like minority. Most of the indian people have this habit of being politically correct and in good books of everyone especially in case of people from certain religion. Be it the govt or the general public. Most have this mentality. I'm not one of those many.

45 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

I am assuming you are from the states. If so than that is so true. Back home in Pakistan I see many of them thinking differently about plenty of other races besides just Indians. Like they get fearful of other races. Thinking they are bad when in reality that is not true. I feel when you go out of your country to get more exposure to different races, you get a whole different prospect of how people live in this world . It makes you realize how they are human just like you and the only thing thats dividing you is your race.

I like this approach by our cricketers. They are showing people that they are people just like all of us. They are on the field to play the game, not to win a war. I don't mind the competiveness on the field. It should stay on the field and not go out of it.

pakistanis are of the same race as indians but they were converted years ago. But the pakistanis are brainwashed into thinking that they are someone else. But they do not know what is that someone else. They are confused about their identity. Because of the blind india hate they do not admit that they were also indians once. Majority pakistanis are still under the control and influence of mulla maulivs who brainwash them. Until and unless they discard those mullas and use their own brains, the hate and negativity towards others will continue.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:05 PM, AmreekanDesi said:

he shows more aggression in ipl towards gambhir, mumbai etc than the pakistanis. Why?

Because he knows Gambhir, Mumbai provides him more competition than Pakistanis do.

Anyway, this isn't exclusive to Pakistan. It became most apparent to me during the 2014 World T20 final when he went up to Sangakkara to shake hands with him when he scored a 50, then saying after the match something along the lines of "maybe God wanted them to win". It's a PR move and he wants to be in all teams' fans' good graces.

On 24/06/2017 at 9:18 PM, kubrickian said:

Some people in India(perhaps some Punjabis and Sindhis) have this tendency to be overly friendly towards Pakistanis. Its probably due to the cultural connection to people over there and many people who live in border states have their roots in Pakistan. Some take it to another level like they are long lost brothers or something. 

In any case, I dont give a damn as its none of my business what they do in their personal life. As far as cricketers are concerned, all they need to do is deliver on the field.

I know a gentleman's family. He used to be supposedly quite close to non Punjabi group of friends. But we observed this tendency in him. He started being even better friends with Pakistanis at cost of being insensitive to us. When pointed,  he used claim that he was just being sensitive to them Pakistani peoples.

End result, Over a period of 4-5 years A big circle (actually allmost everyone) of his non Punjabi friends deserted him. And offcourse, Pakistanis were never his friends. He is only left with few friends from his region only.

Perhaps a lesson for everyone.

Edited by mishra

Most Indian cricketers speak very fondly of their tours to Pakistan. Kapil, Gavaskar, Sachin. Even Sehwag. They have received outstanding hospitality. I am sure the friendships are real. But still, at a time when the two countries are not playing bilaterals, I prefer that the players maintain a cordial relationship. That doesn't mean I'm impressed by what appears to be an excess of fake compliments coming from both sides of the border in recent times-- Kohli, Akram, Akhtar etc. These are clearly motivated by personal financial interests.