Using Bharat over India

zen

The country has two official names -> Bharat and India

Currently, Ind is used predominantly but I would like to see Bharat used more. Can even get rid of the term Ind 

Bharat to me reminds me of the time Ind was considered a golden sparrow. India to me is what the West referred to the region. It is derived from the word Inde, iirc, unless Indus valley was an original name 

53 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

India was very rarely called 'Bharat' in the ancient times.

India is our global identity and has been for over 2 millenia. 

Just like Japanese are completely ok being called 'Japan' by the outside world and Nippon locally, so should we look at India being our global identity.

"India...has been our global entity for over 2 millenia."

What do you smoke bro?

The term itself isnt more than 500-600 years old!

The English term is from Greek Ἰνδία (Indía), via Latin India. Indía in Koine Greek denoted the region beyond the Indus (Ἰνδός) river in the Pakistan, since Herodotus (5th century BC) ἡ Ἰνδική χώρη, hē Indikē chōrē; "the Indian land", Ἰνδός, Indos, "an Indian", from Old Persian Hinduš and listed as a conquered territory by Darius I in the Persepolis terrace inscription).[4] The name is derived ultimately from Sindhu, the Sanskrit name of the river which is a part of Pakistan today, but also meaning "river" generically.[5] Latin India is used by Lucian(2nd century).

The official name Bhārata was picked to be name of country India in 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_India

13 minutes ago, AmreekanDesi said:

"India...has been our global entity for over 2 millenia."

What do you smoke bro?

The term itself isnt more than 500-600 years old!

the term "India" is latin and has been used by Roman scholars from 2000+ years ago. Periplus of Erythrean Sea, an important geographical text from 2000 years ago, uses the term "India". 

We actually rarely use the term 'Bharat' in history. We almost always used regional terms : Ganges valley was called 'Madhyadesha', Orissa was called Kalinga, etc. 

If our history begins from 1947, India is fine. But we have a big history, and thus Bharat makes sense.  Our country aim should not just to become rich but rather reclaim past history, just like China when both contributed over 70% of world GDP.

18 minutes ago, someone said:

If our history begins from 1947, India is fine. But we have a big history, and thus Bharat makes sense.  Our country aim should not just to become rich but rather reclaim past history, just like China when both contributed over 70% of world GDP.

We were called India throughout 2000+ years of history and historical occurrence of the term Bharat is far far rarer than occurrence of India. Check history. 

Edited by Muloghonto

18 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

We were called India throughout 2000+ years of history and historical occurrence of the term Bharat is far far rarer than occurrence of India. Check history. 

They were not Indians . What others referred to us is irrelevant. We never referred ourselves Indians in our large history. It's only after independence. There is also no "Indian" meaning of India yet there a "Indian" meaning of Bharat for us. It means devoted to light or knowledge.

Edited by someone

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

bharat is not our countries name, its the name in Hindi. India is the nations name.

correction its the name in Sanskrit.

For eg the name of India in Marathi is also Bharat. Dont make this a Hindi issue. The brute majority of India its Bharat in the local lang.

I do believe its also called Bharat in Kannada and Malyalum (needs verification) 

33 minutes ago, someone said:

If China is your barometer for success; internationally China is called as , well, China. Which is a Persian word from the middle ages, which then found its way to Europe. Locally the Chinese call themselves as Zhonghua (sp?), Kind of like India/Bharat.

1 minute ago, surajmal said:

Bharat Varsha is in Puranas. Why should we care what the Goras caled (calls) us? 

I could be totally wrong here, but wasn't Bharat Varsha used to identify all areas of King Bharat's domain.

Did it include South India or any of the parts to the south of the Narmada?

Just now, Mariyam said:

I could be totally wrong here, but wasn't Bharat Varsha used to identify all areas of King Bharat's domain.

Did it include South India or any of the parts to the south of the Narmada?

Post Rig Veda, Bharat Varsha is a civilization term and hence refers to the entire subcontinent. 

10 minutes ago, someone said:

They were not Indians . What others referred to us is irrelevant. We never referred ourselves Indians in our large history. It's only after independence. There is also no "Indian" meaning of India yet there a "Indian" meaning of Bharat for us. It means devoted to light or knowledge.

We also did not refer to us as Bharat. What others refer to us is relevant. Because the name of a country is primarily for international consumption. 
I don't see Germans getting bent out of shape for not being called 'Deutchland' or Japan not being called 'Nippon'. Or Egypt being called Misr. 

Bharat means land/domain/descendants of Bharata. Nothing more or less. 

3 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Post Rig Veda, Bharat Varsha is a civilization term and hence refers to the entire subcontinent. 

Devised by modern Indians. Show us which historical text from India uses the term 'bharata' from the thousands of years following Rig Veda, until the 19th century.