Hindi is Our National Language, Important to Learn it: Venkaiah Naidu

Rohit S. Ambani

Union minister M Venkaiah Naidu kicked up a storm on Saturday as he called Hindi the ‘Rashtra Bhasha’ (national language). Regional parties have accused the BJP of trying to impose Hindi on them. 

Quotes -

1. Hindi as Rashtra Bhasha (national language) is very important, we cannot do without it.

2. I want that in our education policy we should consider promoting Hindi. It is our misfortune that we give too much importance to English medium.

3. Dheere dheere angrezi seekhte seekhte angrezi mind bhi aa gaya hamare mein. Ye acchha nahi hai, desh hitt mein nahi hai. (By learning English language, we have also developed an English mindset, it is not good for national interests)..

4. English is being given undue importance because of its association with increasing job prospects.

5. It is our misfortune that both educated and uneducated people teach their kids to speak ‘mummy and papa’ for mother and father.

News Source

Edited by Rohit S. Ambani

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Monolingualism, apple vs oranges. Nobody will bat an eyelid if Bangladesh bans Hindi or English to protect Bengali. Not the case with India.

10 minutes ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

Monolingualism, apple vs oranges. Nobody will bat an eyelid if Bangladesh bans Hindi or English to protect Bengali. Not the case with India.

If the idea is that one has the right to speak in whatever lang one wishes to, it is not apples vs oranges. Additionally, Hindi is one of the two official union government languages. It is also the one representing the native languages in the union govt, so there is nothing wrong in promoting Hindi 

Promoting Hindi does not equate to other native languages being banned. Learning additional languages is always useful

Though, Hindi is not my mother tongue. I do rate it as first among equals considering how widely it is spoken / understood in Ind 

Edited by zen

36 minutes ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

Union minister M Venkaiah Naidu kicked up a storm on Saturday as he called Hindi the ‘Rashtra Bhasha’ (national language). Regional parties have accused the BJP of trying to impose Hindi on them. 

Quotes -

1. Hindi as Rashtra Bhasha (national language) is very important, we cannot do without it.

2. I want that in our education policy we should consider promoting Hindi. It is our misfortune that we give too much importance to English medium.

3. Dheere dheere angrezi seekhte seekhte angrezi mind bhi aa gaya hamare mein. Ye acchha nahi hai, desh hitt mein nahi hai. (By learning English language, we have also developed an English mindset, it is not good for national interests)..

4. English is being given undue importance because of its association with increasing job prospects.

5. It is our misfortune that both educated and uneducated people teach their kids to speak ‘mummy and papa’ for mother and father.

News Source

Did the honourable minister make this speech in English? Or in Hindi?

Saala, gets voted from south India (Kar) and gives such statements. BJP will lose Karnataka with bums like this. Already with Hindi sign boards in Namma Bengaluru Metro has kicked a storm and regional opposition parties like JD devegowda will cash in on this controversy.  

23 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Hindi should only be taught as a secondary language in states where it is not the number one official language. There should be no Hindi medium schools in non Hindi states.

Hindi is destroying similar languages like Rajasthani, Haryanvi, Pahari and Punjabi.

Bhai tum kya videsh me reh kar punjabi ko zinda rakhoge?

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Even better - Prah tu pardes vich reh ke kis taran punjabi nu zinda rakhenga.

Actually if Punjabi does survive in India it will become more similar to Hindi whereas the one spoken abroad will be more authentic.

i have nothing against the Hindi language but regional languages should not be made to feel like they are the language of the poor and uneducated.

Local cultures will disappear if Hindi takes over.

Edited by Ranvir

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Even better - Prah tu pardes vich reh ke kis taran punjabi nu zinda rakhenga.

Rakhenga?

That sounds like Tapori Hindi more than Punjabi. Something that Amitabh's character would say in Amar Akbar Anthony.

Father, Aaj apun Jenny ko porpose marne ja raha hai. Upparwale se bolna ki apun ki izzat rakhenga.

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Rakhenga?

That sounds like Tapori Hindi more than Punjabi. Something that Amitabh's character would say in Amar Akbar Anthony.

Father, Aaj apun Jenny ko porpose marne ja raha hai. Upparwale se bolna ki apun ki izzat rakhenga.

Ya, I thought so. It does read like that. :D maybe should have used double 'k' instead of single(maybe it'll still read the same). I don't speak Punjabi, just know a tiny bit due to being exposed to it here in Delhi and also from movies/songs. Maybe some Punjabi can suggest better usage.

4 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Actually if Punjabi does survive in India it will become more similar to Hindi whereas the one spoken abroad will be more authentic.

i have nothing against the Hindi language but regional languages should not be made to feel like they are the language of the poor and uneducated.

Local cultures will disappear if Hindi takes over.

Valid concern. My view is, Hindi is Indian, Hindi is understood n spoken (basic level, not in depth) by 95%+ indians.....Any Indian goes to any other state must feel confident that she/he will be able to communicate in Hindi with the locals. He must feel welcome, he must feel at home. Soldiers in the Army, students from across India in any engineering colg. Etc. also commicate in Hindi.

Hindi is very very important for India. Yes, it does affect local languages. But imo, it should still be welcome. And people can focus on preserving local languages as well, I support that as well.

Edited by randomGuy

2 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Ya, I thought so. It does read like that. :D maybe should have used double 'k' instead of single. I don't speak Punjabi, just know a tiny bit due to being exposed to it here in Delhi and also from movies/songs. Maybe some Punjabi can suggest better usage.

Valid concern. My view is, Hindi is Indian, Hindi is understood n spoken (basic level, not in depth) by 95%+ indians.....Any Indian goes to any other state must feel confident that he will be able to communicate in Hindi with the locals. He must feel welcome, he must feel at home. Soldiers in the Army, students from across India in any engineering colg. Etc. also commicate in Hindi etc.

Hindi is very very important for India. Yes, it does affect local languages. But imo, it should still be welcome. And people can focus on preserving local languages as well, I support that as well.

Hindi is one of the national languages. Everyone should learn English so that they can communicate well. 

20 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Hindi is one of the national languages. Everyone should learn English so that they can communicate well. 

English - global language...Must learn.

Hindi - Pan-India language, Indian language ....again, must learn. 

As I said 95%+ indians can speak basic Hindi, add pak., BD, nepal etc. You get approx. 25% of humanity that speaks basic Hindi.