Why not have a U-19 team play FC?

Vijy

In some countries, I vaguely seem to recall that the U-19 teams plays 1-2 FC matches against senior FC squads. I was wonderinf what ICFers think of such a squad playing in some Indian domestic tournaments such as Duleep, Deodhar, Challenger, etc. For instance, I'd like to see the following team play:

(1) Prithvi Shaw/Shivam Chaudhary

(2) Ishan Kishan/Shubman Gill

(3) Himanshu Rana

(4) Risabh Pant (wk)

(5) Sarfaraz Khan

(6) Mahipal Lomror

(7) Abhishek Sharma

(8) Kamlesh Nagarkoti

(9) Rahul Chahar

(10) Avesh Khan

(11) Shubham Mavi/Kanishk Seth

The team comfortably bats till 8, and has 6 bowling options - 3 pace and 3 spin (plus Khan's part-time spin). I think they would do quite well against zonal squads too since most have played FC and List A, and Pant has played international cricket too.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating a full FC season, but at least some matches in our premier List A and FC tournaments.

Edited by Vijy
5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Because its better if the u19 players develop their games playing along with veterans instead of competing against them?   

I am not advocating that they play regularly "against" them, but it would be nice to have 1-2 matches per year where their mettle is tested against a senior India "A"-type team

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I am not advocating that they play regularly "against" them, but it would be nice to have 1-2 matches per year where their mettle is tested against a senior India "A"-type team

Are you familiar with the Challenger series organized by BCCI?    Its essentially a scrimmage of India's top 40 players.   That is more appropriate in terms of talent development and scouting anyway rather than some silly men against boys exhibition.   Sorry to be harsh, but what's "entertaining" and interesting for fans, is not always what's best for cricket.  

6 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

A 'mediocre' first class cricketer would wipe the floor with the u-19 boys. It's surprising that some of you would think these kids can compete with seasoned professionals. Cricket doesn't work that way.

Most of the U-19 people I listed have already played FC and List A cricket and have done well. Pant and Kishan are obvious examples, but there are others too - Prithvi Shaw, etc. Hence, I think it's highly unlikely (in fact ridiculous) that a mediocre FC cricketer would wipe them.

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

Most of the U-19 people I listed have already played FC and List A cricket and have done well. Pant and Kishan are obvious examples, but there are others too - Prithvi Shaw, etc. Hence, I think it's highly unlikely (in fact ridiculous) that a mediocre FC cricketer would wipe them.

There would be zero benefit for a u-19 team to go up against senior players - Asking 17-18 year old bowlers who have yet to develop their bodies or their bowling repertoire to front up against FC professionals is just silly.   All it would accomplish is get their confidence taking a beat-down.   

Its not a co-incidence that the names you mentioned are all batsmen.   There's a reason why top u-19 bowling prospects usually take a couple of years to break into their FC teams, while the batsmen are a bit quicker off the blocks.  

You are generally one of the sensible posters around.  Just drop this silly line of thinking.  No shame in it, everyone comes up with bad ideas once in a while.  Even Tendy went public with his crazy pitch-doctoring "suggestion".   

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

There would be zero benefit for a u-19 team to go up against senior players - Asking 17-18 year old bowlers who have yet to develop their bodies or their bowling repertoire to front up against FC professionals is just silly.   All it would accomplish is get their confidence taking a beat-down.   

Its not a co-incidence that the names you mentioned are all batsmen.   There's a reason why top u-19 bowling prospects usually take a couple of years to break into their FC teams, while the batsmen are a bit quicker off the blocks.  

You are generally one of the sensible posters around.  Just drop this silly line of thinking.  No shame in it, everyone comes up with bad ideas once in a while.  Even Tendy went public with his crazy pitch-doctoring "suggestion".   

I had (almost) forgotten this one. I agree that bowlers are not developed enough at 18-19 unlike the batsmen.