Can Shastri be snubbed again?

SK_IH

Can Shastri be snubbed again?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can Shastri be snubbed again?

it was funny what ashwin narrated on what the duck show,shastri came in team huddle and said just smash them,he will bring this to our side 

i was thinking he is good strategist because i heard stories that he was impressive captain ind never had,can older fans tell something about this?

Edited by SK_IH
5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

it was funny what ashwin narrated on what the duck show,shastri came in team huddle and said just smash them,he will bring this to our side 

i was thinking he is good strategist because i heard stories that he was impressive captain ind never had,can older fans tell something about this?

I think he captained India in that famous Hirwani 16 wickets vs Wi match. But yes I heard he had a good mind as a captain but clearly the way he batted in the 90s shows us otherwise...I remember a match where Srikanth was on fire scoring a less than a run a ball 50 and Shastri on the other end was at like 10(50) or something and he would take run on the last ball every over.

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

I think he captained India in that famous Hirwani 16 wickets vs Wi match. But yes I heard he had a good mind as a captain but clearly the way he batted in the 90s shows us otherwise...I remember a match where Srikanth was on fire scoring a less than a run a ball 50 and Shastri on the other end was at like 10(50) or something and he would take run on the last ball every over.

A match? Most matches they opened together were like that lol

1 minute ago, maniac said:

haha i looked at scorecards of world championship 1985 he batted snails pace even there :hysterical:,this is again coontrasting as we always hear he was a big hitter,six sixes etc

what a contrasting personality

3 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

A match? Most matches they opened together were like that lol

My favorite 'go-to' sledge to this day, when I used to play anyway, is "Shastri hai-hai"  for opposing batsmen who face a couple of dot balls.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Shastri used to torture and KLPD the crowd a lot, especially in the last 10-12 overs of ODI - he would dance down the track to a spinner in that stupid white helmet of his, and then play a tame forward defense to dead bat the ball into the wicket.  

i admire his confidence,i think he was mediocre player (didnt see him play) but when he talks it as if he was sobers

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i admire his confidence,i think he was mediocre player (didnt see him play) but when he talks it as if he was sobers

He was a limited player who punched above his weight.  I respect his achievements.   Decent cricket brain also.   Lot of of insiders rate him as a guy who could have been one of India's great captains.   We are dangerously close to putting him in the Kapil Dev bucket as coach - the guy whose entire planning for an away tour to Australia boiled down to - "Enjoy boys! Do your best!".   

Problem with Shastri is that he's too used to being the boss, "Team Director" not coach - too happy to be liked by the players, to really do an honest job as a coach.   He simply can't be expected to push the team or VK in a direction they won't want.   

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

He was a limited player who punched above his weight.  I respect his achievements.   Decent cricket brain also.   Lot of of insiders rate him as a guy who could have been one of India's great captains.   We are dangerously close to putting him in the Kapil Dev bucket as coach - the guy whose entire planning for an away tour to Australia boiled down to - "Enjoy boys! Do your best!".   

Problem with Shastri is that he's too used to being the boss, "Team Director" not coach - too happy to be liked by the players, to really do an honest job as a coach.   He simply can't be expected to push the team or VK in a direction they won't want.   

More than Shastri I am concerned about Virat. Right now he can't put a foot wrong and things are going great but once things start going south with so much power at such a young age and with a yes man at helm, I am not sure how it will work out.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

yes i heard lots of stories about that as well,if that true he must a shrewd strategist as well but we havent seen yet

didnt know about kapil dev's motivational words before aus tour :hysterical: