Can Shastri be snubbed again?

SK_IH

Can Shastri be snubbed again?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can Shastri be snubbed again?

Just now, SK_IH said:

yes i heard lots of stories about that as well,if that true he must a shrewd strategist as well but we havent seen yet

didnt know about kapil dev's motivational words before aus tour :hysterical:

Before?? This was before and during.   Kapil is a classic example of the aphorism that the best players don't make good coaches. 

Well the only captaincy game he won was because of Hirwani bowling on a dustbowl and from what I heard WI trying to hit him out of the stadium every ball he bowled almost playing like the brainless hacks they are today.... don't think there was any master plan there but yes I heard he has a solid mind too but from his batting and even from his commentary didn't see any golden words of wisdom 

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Before?? This was before and during.   Kapil is a classic example of the aphorism that the best players don't make good coaches. 

I didn't know this till I saw one of those debates on the whole Kohli Kumble fiasco...I think Ayaz Memon said this and I would take his word for it that Sachin Kumble Dravid Sourav united against a  Kapil to throw him

out when he was the coach.so Chappell and Kumble deal is not a new instance here.

Edited by maniac
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I didn't know this till I saw one of those debates on the whole Kohli Kumble fiasco...I think Ayaz Memon said this and I would take his word for it that Sachin Kumble Dravid Sourav united against a  Kapil to throw him

out when he was the coach.so Chappell and Kumble deal is not a new instance here.

One of the things I don't like about Tendy is that he goes way out of his way to avoid controversies and is too careful about what he says.  But even he went public with his disappointment over Kapil's 'coaching'.    

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I didn't know this till I saw one of those debates on the whole Kohli Kumble fiasco...I think Ayaz Memon said this and I would take his word for it that Sachin Kumble Dravid Sourav united against a coach to get Kapil out...so Chappell and Kumble deal is not a new instance here.

but didnt kapil resign because of match fixing allegations 

Shastri was frustratingly pathetic in ODIs for most of his career. The '87 WC semi final was such a head smashing on the wall experience. Yes, Kapil is rightly criticized for his stroke in the match, but even after his departure Azhar played brilliantly and when he was dismissed India needed around 50 runs in the last 10 overs with four wickets in hand and a set Shastri at the crease. That was a very achievable target even in those days of ODIs and the Indian team batted really deep as well with More, Prabhakar, and Chetan Sharma at 8, 9, and 10. What followed was Shastri stepping out of the crease and just pottering around. He looked clueless in terms of rotating the strike or striking the boundaries till he played an ugly hoick to get out as the last batsman. In fact his innings gave rise to this whole theory of the Bombay lobby deliberately throwing the match away to undermine Kapil with Vengsarkar pulling out at the last minute with an upset stomach, Gavaskar getting bowled through the gate, and Shastri doing his inexplicable tuk tuk. 

Having said that, he was a pretty good test player. He played quite a few decent innings in the lower middle order, but it was as an opener that he did really well averaging 40+. He was never given a chance to open in India, and opened almost exclusively outside India and did really well. In tests, one of his best batting performance where he used his brain was in the tied test. He batted really well with the tail in the match and was the only person who kept his calm while others like Chetan Sharma and Shiv Lal Yadav were committing suicide. He showed good presence of mind to take a single to equal the scores making sure India can't lose the match. Quite funny thinking about the match where he was literally pleading the tail to show some sense and take singles and they were playing one hoick after another.

5 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

Shastri was frustratingly pathetic in ODIs for most of his career. The '87 WC semi final was such a head smashing on the wall experience. Yes, Kapil is rightly criticized for his stroke in the match, but even after his departure Azhar played brilliantly and when he was dismissed India needed around 50 runs in the last 10 overs with four wickets in hand and a set Shastri at the crease. That was a very achievable target even in those days of ODIs and the Indian team batted really deep as well with More, Prabhakar, and Chetan Sharma at 8, 9, and 10. What followed was Shastri stepping out of the crease and just pottering around. He looked clueless in terms of rotating the strike or striking the boundaries till he played an ugly hoick to get out as the last batsman. In fact his innings gave rise to this whole theory of the Bombay lobby deliberately throwing the match away to undermine Kapil with Vengsarkar pulling out at the last minute with an upset stomach, Gavaskar getting bowled through the gate, and Shastri doing his inexplicable tuk tuk. 

Having said that, he was a pretty good test player. He played quite a few decent innings in the lower middle order, but it was as an opener that he did really well averaging 40+. He was never given a chance to open in India, and opened almost exclusively outside India and did really well. In tests, one of his best batting performance where he used his brain was in the tied test. He batted really well with the tail in the match and was the only person who kept his calm while others like Chetan Sharma and Shiv Lal Yadav were committing suicide. He showed good presence of mind to take a single to equal the scores making sure India can't lose the match. Quite funny thinking about the match where he was literally pleading the tail to show some sense and take singles and they were playing one hoick after another.

thanks for this post,very informative but again it shows there are no examples him being great captain we never had

i really enjoyed this tied test match documentary,following that match would have been awesome

15 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

thanks for this post,very informative but again it shows there are no examples him being great captain we never had

i really enjoyed this tied test match documentary,following that match would have been awesome

Yeah, nothing concrete to support it except anecdotal evidence. Unlike Warne (for whom a similar thing is said in the context of Australia), Shastri didn't really captain the Bombay Ranji team regularly either. In his favor, at least in tests, he used to play the game according to the situation like not throwing it away before breaks or being able to accelerate when the situation demanded. But that would largely be because he was from the Bombay school of batting and not necessarily related to any tactical genius on his part. He certainly could/should have played tests for a few more years but in those days tests and ODI sides were pretty much the same and his ODI game had really gone down the drain when he was dropped. It was a torture to watch him bat in the '92 WC and he was responsible for the losses against Australia and England by batting like a snail before he was dropped for the rest of the tournament.