Rahul Dravid steps down as Delhi Daredevils’ mentor

Rahul Dravid steps down as Delhi Daredevils’ mentor

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/rahul-dravid-steps-down-as-delhi-daredevils-mentor-4729466/

A Delhi Daredevils stated that Dravid will not continue with the franchise as a mentor as he chooses to serve India A as a coach. The statement also said that the former Indian skipper believes he still has a lot to give back to the game and help India nurture young Indian players.

“We are sad that he will not continue with us as Mentor as he chooses to serve India A as a coach. Being a true servant of Cricket he believes he still has a lot to give back to the game and help nurture young India talent.”

:biggrin:Now we can support Delhi Daredevils without giving gaalis to the great guy.:frown: No more hair pulling and and collective gasping . 

Coaches and captain try different things and some will work and some will not. Dravid tried and supported youngsters which was briilliant, however, he at times tried too much at the top which isn't the best way to go for any format as too many youngsters end up not working and a good mixture is always that of young and old in the top order.

But like many coaches, Dravid realized its not working and he has stepped down, shows the class of the man.

I did not agree with Dravid continuously backing Nair for DD, but come to think of it, I can't fault him for backing Nair. Every captain or player likes some players and Dravid must have seen something in Nair which is why he was supporting him. However Nair can probabably do bigger things in the longest format than in t20s. A coach or captain is supposed to back youngsters and he did that.

I do know for the fact that even in failures all DD youngsters must have learned a lot to do bigger things in future in all the formats. Yes, this is something many won't realize but deep down, all those players know that the experience with Dravid in the last few years is something which will take them long way in their Indian career.

12 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Dravid is very sensitive, after Ramachandra Guha brought his name up in the 'conflict of interests' letter, probably RD decided not to continue as the coach for DD.

It's just as well I feel. I'd prefer to see him focus more on the U19 and A squads.

15 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Dravid is very sensitive, after Ramachandra Guha brought his name up in the 'conflict of interests' letter, probably RD decided not to continue as the coach for DD.

Not sure if its sensitive or more like "don't care attitude" or have enough on my plate attitude.

He already got job for India A and India u19 and announced his departure from DD on the same day when he was given the dual role of A side and u19, so probabaly realized that thats enough for him to focus on post retirement instead adding more to his place in the form of IPL stint.

15 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Its not being sensitive. He has integrity which many others dont have. He doesnt want his reputation spoiled by getting involved with something which might seem a conflict of interest. So he decided to quit. He could have easily chosen to give up India A coaching job and stuck with Daredevils coaching job. More money and only have to work for 2 months and that too, dont have much to do as IPL coach but he chose the former. That's Dravid for you.

12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Not sure if its sensitive or more like "don't care attitude" or have enough on my plate attitude.

He already got job for India A and India u19 and announced his departure from DD on the same day when he was given the dual role of A side and u19, so probabaly realized that thats enough for him to focus on post retirement instead adding more to his place in the form of IPL stint.

Nah! This is about the conflict of interest issue raised by Guha.

He seemed most perturbed by the allegation of conflict.

He asked for clarification from bcci .

He also  refused to be part of under 19 selection just to make sure their was no conflict of interest.

Bcci has also raised his money  to compensate for the ipl stint .