England T20 Blast Thread

Currently a match going on between Nottinghamshire and 'Birmingham'

What the funny thing is the new T20 city based tournament planned by ECB is being hated on most fronts by english cricket fans as they prefer counties and not cities... so when Warwickshire change their T20 team to Birmingham ( a city) then nobody has a problem. Btw half of Edgbaston is empty even tho its a Saturday evening.

What is up with the English seriously.

Actually people are bothered about Warwickshire becoming "Birmingham", including their supporters as pointed out above. I also noticed clear chants of Warwickshire Warwickshire on the TV coverage.

I make no apologies for hoping the city franchise shite is a complete failure played out in front of empty stands.

Headingley was full last night by the way, and Yorkshire aren't even good at T20.

Edited by YCCC
54 minutes ago, YCCC said:

Actually people are bothered about Warwickshire becoming "Birmingham", including their supporters as pointed out above. I also noticed clear chants of Warwickshire Warwickshire on the TV coverage.

I make no apologies for hoping the city franchise shite is a complete failure played out in front of empty stands.

Headingley was full last night by the way, and Yorkshire aren't even good at T20.

What i meant was that this change was done in 2014 despite of the backlash, and 3 years later they have still stuck to it meaning people are getting used to it and are still attending matches. The problem with English cricket is that very few people actually living in metropolitan cities like Birmingham or Manchester follow cricket so the main support for county teams came from other areas in the county ( rural and small towns). Therefore the city based T20 (although a better option in theory) will be a complete failure because fans from rural county dont associate themselves with a big city. A person from York would support Yorkshire Vikings not Leeds Whatever. Compared that to IPL or Big Bash, the city based teams are in cities that have big populations who's main sport is cricket so they will support their local city and come to support it. They either have to keep the new 2020 T20  (City) or the Natwest T20 ( county). they cant have them both running at the same time, it will end up killing them both.

I don't think they'll be on at the same time. I think what you'll see is a watered down county competition similar to the 50 over comp with two groups of nine but with teams only playing each other once. Either way it's just change for the sake of it. The Blast is a good competition with attendances rising every season and fans have an emotional attachment to their county club, going back over a century, rather than some manufactured fake team. Only the ECB could kill off a growing tournament that is actually making money.