Why Has Dhoni Lost His ODI Mojo?: Aakash Chopra

The Dhoni Question  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Dhoni?

• Let him continue down the order, and trust him to work it out and eventually bring down his dot ball percentage
    • Drop him from the ODI squad
    • Move him to the middle order, batting at 4, so he possibly can get in by the 25th over, if 2 wickets go down.
    • Move him to the top order, so he has the power play to get in
  2. 2. If Dhoni retires or is dropped, who do you want to see take over the LOI wicket-keeping position?

1 hour ago, sscomp32 said:

:rotfl::rotfl: 

The 3 ICC wins and numerous others was Ruining India? 

Or maybe by us you meant your real identity of being a padosi. :giggle: 

I don't even know why ICF allows ungrateful ******* like you. :facepalm: 

Just cause we won 3 ICC tournaments under him doesn't mean we let him do whatever he wants in the team. The way he's playing cricket deserves every bit of criticism. 

Its not even just the batting anymore.  Akash Chopra rightly points out that more than the big hits, its Dhoni's inability to rotate strike in the early part of his innings that is most glaring issue.  

And this Windies LOI series saw him miss chances behind the stumps way too often as well.   

The writing is on the wall.  There's no way this guy can play 2019 WC.  And if he's not playing then, both the team and MS need to figure out his exit strategy.  

1 hour ago, maniac said:

I think we are waiting for that 1 innings so that the "selfless" Dhoni can retire on a high.

Remember he took the high road the first chance he got when he finally managed to draw a test in Australia especially when he was "not out" at the end. People called him "selfless" for retiring in the middle of a series :giggle: 

Sure with Odi too it will take an innings like that...luckily next series is VS Srilanka,so hoping we will hear the retirement news :pray: 

Wow you got some problems with him. I hope for your mental health you get a chance to boo at him IRL or something.

7 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

Wow you got some problems with him. I hope for your mental health you get a chance to boo at him IRL or something.

Yes I have a problem with a 36 year old Dhoni for all the reasons mentioned to death on here...I was a big fan for his "fearless" approach back in the day....so you can do the math when being a subjective fan when I have stopped liking him as a cricketer.

Edited by maniac
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yes I have a problem with a 36 year old Dhoni for all the reasons mentioned to death on here...I was a big fan for his "fearless" approach back in the day....so you can do the math when being a subjective fan when I have stopped liking him as a cricketer.

What was all the passive aggressive crap about his test retirement?

Maybe being a fan of the most selfish cricketer known to the sport makes you uncomfortable when other players are called selfless.

1 minute ago, Sidhoni said:

What was all the passive aggressive crap about his test retirement?

Maybe being a fan of the most selfish cricketer known to the sport makes you uncomfortable when other players are called selfless.

What has this even got to do with the person you are implying?

and since when are Dhoni and the person you are trying to hint at opposite ends of the spectrum?

Just now, maniac said:

What has this even got to do with the person you are implying?

and since when are Dhoni and the person you are trying to hint at opposite ends of the spectrum?

Obviously it has to do with you being a fan of him. Also don't forget Rohit will never risk hitting before completing 100.

Both your favorites are selfish and rightly called out so. That's why you have a problem if someone else is considered selfless.

Just now, Sidhoni said:

Obviously it has to do with you being a fan of him. Also don't forget Rohit will never risk hitting before completing 100.

Both your favorites are selfish and rightly called out so. That's why you have a problem if someone else is considered selfless.

Let me ask you this was Sachin selfish for playing for his 100s as many of the "fans" accuse him of or vs Afridi selfless for playing to the gallery and for S/r?

similarly when someone plays to live up to their reputation of being a "finisher" screwing up the game they are equally selfish.

I can atleast name 4-5 games from the top of my head when that has happened

45 minutes ago, maniac said:

Let me ask you this was Sachin selfish for playing for his 100s as many of the "fans" accuse him of or vs Afridi selfless for playing to the gallery and for S/r?

similarly when someone plays to live up to their reputation of being a "finisher" screwing up the game they are equally selfish.

I can atleast name 4-5 games from the top of my head when that has happened

Plays to live up to a reputation? That's your perspective. He never cared for reputations. He plays to win and sometimes he fails, he is only human unlike certain others.

44 minutes ago, maniac said:

@Sidhoni if you think Sachin or Rohit or anyone else is selfish feel free to open a thread on that topic and sure we can debate...instead of pointing out things in Dhoni's favor,the strategy of a lot of his hardcore fans seems to be attacking other players...how does that even make sense?

You were the one trying to be sarcastic and taking potshots at Dhoni because he had been selfless in the past, something you are not a fan of it seems.

There is no strategy here, I am not defending him or anything. Just calling out your BS.

6 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

Plays to live up to a reputation? That's your perspective. He never cared for reputations. He plays to win and sometimes he fails, he is only human unlike certain others.

Defending full tosses from part timers with the world famous lunge and trying to take it to the last ball, well if that is not playing for reputation what is? infact I never criticized yesterday's innings of 2(3) because he "tried" 

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Defending full tosses from part timers with the world famous lunge and trying to take it to the last ball, well if that is not playing for reputation what is? infact I never criticized yesterday's innings of 2(3) because he "tried" 

That's how he has played over the years and successfully won us matches. Playing in the way he feels is the best for the team is now trying to living up to a reputation? 

I can understand you and your kin are really enjoying this phase and have a lot to say, but calling him selfish would be as far from the truth as possible.

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He wont be the same player and most player goes through transitions n find their way 

Yes, Break can harm him and thats y i wanted him in WI series but some how not playing the same way is also affecting his confidence. M sure it does play on every big players mind when he is not able to be the same . 

Heard in many interviews by sehwag n ganguly that when they got dropped that actually helped them to go back on drawing board n work on things n took a lot of pressure off them. 

May be he needs to talk to someone like Sehwag or even a sports psychologist to get his thought process clear.  

Dhoni has to work out his game against spinner who take the ball away and a few more areas. There is lack of self belief i see in him specially while stepping down. 

Yes there is a concern also if u drop him there is no cricket that he can go n work......

But something has to be planned for dhoni. Failures will also affect his confidence and ofcourse the pressure does grow in such age 

Sehwag and ganguly both were younger when they were dropped

5 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

That's how he has played over the years and successfully won us matches. Playing in the way he feels is the best for the team is now trying to living up to a reputation? 

I can understand you and your kin are really enjoying this phase and have a lot to say, but calling him selfish would be as far from the truth as possible.

Well on one hand you bring in a guy who has 100 100s and scored at a s/r of 80+ in an era where that was unheard of as selfish but a guy who "always plays like that" and doesn't "change his approach" when situation demands is selfless

Wah! I heard it all now

3 hours ago, The Realist said:

That by default means nobody else is getting a chance as those number of games will take up to two years.

Nobody in sport realistically turns around their game at 36, just does not happen.

3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

that will leave the side no time for a replacement for wc 2019,planning has to be clear in this regard

Assuming we let go of Dhoni now 

Dhawan

Rohit ( lol)

Virat 

Pant 

Rahul/Pandey 

Jadhav (?) - .

How many of these guys who are in contention you think will be around the WC ? 

Rahul and Pant are the only quality replacements and unfortunately both are openers and if they have to survive in the team will be forced to play a role which is not natural to them . So we need a miracle here if both have to be in the team . Would you bet on both pulling it off ? 

Pandey and Jadhav are fringe players at best , while the former lacks consistency the later I would not trust him in pressure matches especially chasing .These guys may still play the next WC , but good luck winning the cup with them . 

Except for Virat and to an extent Dhawan , one one else is proven . So do we realistically expect 3-4 batting spots and that too middle order spots to be filled up in the next 2 years ? 

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Assuming he was trying to take it to the last ball , which still implies he was playing for teams win . Not for his personal milestones . 

7 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Assuming he was trying to take it to the last ball , which still implies he was playing for teams win . Not for his personal milestones . 

I said playing on reputation and I have given examples of players who have played to live up to their reputation....Afridi's 6(2) type innings didn't help his personal milestones but they are categorized as selfish too.

In fact I consider Sehwag's later part of his career a bit of playing to keep his reputation...he tried  to play every inning at 100mph towards the end while his biggest success was also having a solid defense and playing out a tough spell and cashing in against the bad ball.

Same with Dhoni, he is taking this finisher myth too seriously which is hurting us rather than playing on the merit of the ball...keeping teams interest in mind is not taking it to the last over, it means as a batsman you need to cash in on lose deliveries as well and if required survive a tough spell.

Edited by maniac