Karnataka appoints panel to design ‘state flag’, look into legal sanctity

BeautifulGame

12 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Mumbai is very cosmopolitan City where every man and his dog knows Hindi. Don't know in what kind of stupid city is the Hindi still  a problem. Maybe Bangalore is still in developing phase and was a nobody 20 years back. 

Don't even compare the two states/cities. There is no need to learn Marathi in Mumbai,  the locals are not insecure to expect migrants to learn their language. 

Dont talk about stuff you dont understand , I have lived in Mumbai for nearly 10 years and my family is still based out of there . so I know both the cities pretty well. 

The bolded part , thank you ..proved my point !!

The argument about the need for some officially designated link language is absurd. There hasn't been one will now and India's progress or lack thereof, however one wants to view it, hasn't been affected by it at all. India has probably never been as united as it was in the run up to independence and the percentage of people able to communicate with different groups was much lower back then. But there was a common cause to unite for independence among a lot of people across India. People who understood English was much lower back then and there was no Google translate on smartphones to quickly help one out in a place where one did not know the local language.

Post independence, the model of having communication with the central government in English and encouraging local languages at the state level has worked well. In places like Bihar where Hindi was made the dominant language despite not having a lot of local support, it quickly cannibalized local languages like Maithli and Maghai. For more recent phenomenon look at Punjabis in Delhi. Very few third generation Punjabis in Delhi, now know Punjabi well or even communicate with their parents in it either.

Anything which is already dominant doesn't need further state support to be promoted. That's exactly what majoritarianism is whether in the context of religion or language. Hindi, or rather Hindustani since most people advocating Hindi probably can't write one paragraph of it without resorting to Urdu words, doesn't need government or structural support to prosper like shoving it down the throat on metros or pettiness by North Indians with regards to hiring domestic help or drivers. It will do so on its own because it is spoken by a dominant population already. Attempts to make it in your face are nothing but a show of majoritarianism and condescending attitude.

20 minutes ago, surajmal said:

It won't be English. I can guarantee you that. So if the Southerners decide to the sit out the process when link language debate begins in earnest, they will have to abide by what Rest of the country decides. 

It won't be Hindi either. I can also guarantee you that, at least here in South. We don't have any affinity towards Hindi to accept it, until and unless, you introduce our languages in your education system. 

26 minutes ago, Lannister said:

It won't be Hindi either. I can also guarantee you that, at least here in South. We don't have any affinity towards Hindi to accept it, until and unless, you introduce our languages in your education system. 

Your language in our education system?  Lol,  your Kannada in Maharashtra or Punjab?  Just LOL. 

Won't even speak petty regional language even if I visit the state,  leave alone introducing in my state. 

Edited by rageaddict

4 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Your language in our education system?  Lol,  your Kannada in Maharashtra or Punjab?  Just LOL. 

Won't even speak petty regional language even if I visit the state,  leave alone introducing in my state. 

OK. Then what are you crying here for if we decide to throw Hindi sign boards down the toilet. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

THis is getting funny.

Mere ghar kaise pahunchoge, Hindi ka signboards sab nikaal diye hum. Bhatakte phiroge gidad ki tarah!

Kya baat hai Yaar. Very Nice Hindi. 

You people are so fluent in the language that you hate so much.. 

Dekha Hindi ka Power,  tum logo ko na chahte huwe bhi Hindi seekhna pada. Tumhare Kannada toh koi Ghanta na bolta hai na koi samjhta hai Karntataka ke bahar. 

Soft Power of Hindi rocks. 

Lol @ Kannada Pride. 

2 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Petty language lol..

Typical north Indian mentality. 

We don't expect mentally weak ppl like you guys to understand the significance and richness of these languages. 

PS : My mother tongue is marwadi (very close to Hindi). I don't told anything against Hindi. Just want scums like you to stop insulting other languages without knowing anything about them.

Edited by sourab10forever

4 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

@lannister

Would it be nice if govt of India stops taking in southies in union govt jobs because not knowing hindi means they cannot serve outside the southern states?A person knowing hindi can serve in most states even Telengana and hyderabad because of the use of dakkhani hindi.Will that be good?Why should i speak in english to the mallu bank manager?He should be fired or not even hired as he cannot serve in most of the country.

India isnt made up of only the southern states.This language issue seems to be only with Karnataka Tamil Nadu and Kerala.You are part of a larger country and not sovereign.If a language is used for the benefit of millions of Indians who visit Karnataka and is not replacing English or Kannada what is the problem?

Or is it that you simply dont care about the rest of the country?

Tommorow you will say we will not sing Jana Gana Mana as it was composed in Bengali.Why chant vedic mantras composed in Sanskrit?

If a person don't know the regional language then he's not fit to serve in that region. Its simple as that. How will he take customer complaints if he can't even communicate with them. I have seen lot of people from rural areas facing such problems in Banks, especially when communicating with Hindi speakers. I usually talk with them in English. But they shouldn't even be serving in that region in the first place. 

We will be choosing which language we want to learn and that should be the end of it. 

5 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Petty language lol..

Typical north Indian mentality. 

We don't expect mentally weak ppl like you guys to understand the significance and richness of these languages. 

PS : My mother tongue is marwadi (very close to Hindi). I don't told anything against Hindi. Just want scums like you to stop insulting other languages without knowing anything about them.

Oh Marwadi,  Now it makes sense behind pulling the 90%, 95 % data out of ignorance because the numbers arent as low. 

Why are you even creating unnecessary divisions over the language issue and justifying the outrage against Hindi? Kannada has been given the first preference,  English 2nd and being the most Widely /Spoken understood language in the country  Hindi deserves it's own place. 

That's how things stand in All Non-Hindi States in the North and don't see any reason why Karantaka should be an exception. 

Ignorant and arrogant are those who have the separatist attitude and justify it using the " Our State,  Our Rules " lahori logic. 

No Indian state or city is an exclusive property of the locals where only their demands need to be met. If Goondas like Shiv Sena couldn't get their way through in Mumbai and are today begging for votes from Northies in name of " Hindutva " then these softie Kannada Groups stand zero chance. 

8 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Oh Marwadi,  Now it makes sense behind pulling the 90%, 95 % data out of ignorance because the numbers arent as low. 

Lol go and check the number of Hindi speakers in Karnataka and it won't be more than 7%.

Karnataka has about 70% native kannada sparkers. Majority of the other 30% people are from South India and most of them too don't understand hindi. Apart from these, most others can either read/write in kannada or English. What remains is nothing but a small fraction of people  who don't matter as they are on short stays in Karnataka. Why the hell should Hindi be "imposed" on almost 6.5 crore people who have no idea about how to read and write it? It's like putting up Chinese posters all across Delhi metro? Does it make any sense ?

It doesn't matter what other states do. Karnataka doesn't need Hindi. As simple as that.

3 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Lol go and check the number of Hindi speakers in Karnataka and it won't be more than 7%.

Karnataka has about 70% native kannada sparkers. Majority of the other 30% people are from South India and most of them too don't understand hindi. Apart from these, most others can either read/write in kannada or English. What remains is nothing but a small fraction of people  who don't matter as they are on short stays in Karnataka. Why the hell should Hindi be "imposed" on almost 6.5 crore people who have no idea about how to read and write it? It's like putting up Chinese posters all across Delhi metro? Does it make any sense ?

It doesn't matter what other states do. Karnataka doesn't need Hindi. As simple as that.

Chal theek hai nahi chahiye na Karantaka main Hindi,  ja hata le fir Hindi Metro Stations se. 

Tab baat karenge. 

It is good to have discussions on sensitive topics but let's cool down! Below is the current status:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_language#India

India[edit]

India didn't choose any national language. Therefore India has no national language.[13][14][15] However, the official languages of the Union Government of the Republic of India are Hindi in Devanagari script and English as mentioned in article 343/1 of the Constitution of India.[16] 

Currently there are 22 scheduled languages in India Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Meitei (Manipuri), Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu. States of India were free to adopt one or more local languages for all or any of the official purposes of that state.[16] 

On one hand, 22 languages are official, on the other hand, Hindi and English are Union Government official languages.  In context of the topic, Karnataka has the right to use Kannada (or any of the other official languages) as its state language. However, when communicating with other states, with union government and internationally, Hindi and English have to be used 

Since Hindi and English are official languages of the union government, Hindi can be promoted by the center. It does not imply imposition or the local language being sidelined (as Hindi is already one of the two official union govt languages) 

this is another move by the opposition to put some pressure on bjp/modi..

they keep trying to create some controversies , ultimately something will click..

recent events:-

1) #dravidanadu - failed miserably

2) pro-cow slaughter - dmk & co said during jallikattu protests that we are eliminating our local breed , but now they are saying we are herding cows for eating

3) stalin kick started anti-brahmin and anti-hindi protests again in TN but fizzled out

4) now karnataka flag , they already have a state flag .. why create an issue now

worrying thing is congress is solidly behind this..

anywya 

How protests began

The anti-Hindi pro-Kannad protests erupted after the usage of Hindi language in the Namma metro rail signboards in the city. Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah opposed the move saying most of the funds for Namma Metro came from the state and not the Centre.

Recently, Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu vouched for the use of Hindi language, saying, “Hindi as Rashtra Bhasha (national language) is very important, we cannot do without it. Most people in our country speak Hindi, so learning Hindi is also important… but we should be fluent in our mother language like Gujarati, Marathi, Bhojpuri.”

Senior KRV member Sanneerappa opposed to Naidu’s statement saying that if Hindi was so important, the “central government should not depend on the taxes paid by southern states.” The pro-Kannada activists have accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of imposing Hindi in the southern state.

Meanwhile, a Hindustan Times report says that the KRV leaders are now in touch with the local unit of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) to protest the ‘imposition’ of Hindi.

http://www.india.com/news/india/language-war-intensifies-in-karnataka-pro-kannada-groups-deface-hindi-english-nameplate-at-bengaluru-restaurant-2298933/